laptop dead (1 Viewer)

Skyblue4u

Lights come on CD drive spins but it don't boot and screen don't come on so can't get into BIOS or safe mode. Its a HP hdx18 and the middle light just flashes.

I'm thinking motherboard has failed any other ideas?

kg82

Probably right. Something like that just happened to mine, had to have a new hard drive.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
R.I.P laptop

f7e3e0a5.gif

Skyblue4u

Grrrr cost me 1200 quid and its only less than 3 years old. Going to try and reflash the BIOS tomorrow from a USB drive after a hard restart, wish me luck

spwaverley4916

i suppose you could try - removing the battery for 10 mins or so and then try booting it up after you have put the battery back - i know it sounds stupid but it works sometimes for some wierd reason

Skyblue4u

All hope is lost. It's going to join the grave yard with my other 3 laptops. I'm going to get a desktop next as laptops aren't built to last and are virtually impossible to repair.

pipkin73

Had the same thing with mine 2 days ago. One of the two memory sticks had burnt out. I replaced it and it now works fine. Just to clarify my cd spun, it powered up but would not boot to even bootup screen etc. Identical to your symptoms, for the price of a memory stick these days i'd try changing it. If you have more than one fitted try taking one out and try starting again, then if it don't start change them around and try again. Don't know why but on desktops when a memory stick goes you get a beep code to inform you but on 2 laptops now i've not had them. Good luck and i hope it works.

Last edited:

Skyblue4u

Cheers mate, just removed one memory stick and moved the other stick to port one and the Laptop fired up. Put the suspect memory stick into port 2 and it's all working with no loss of ram. Next time I'm at the Ricoh i'll owe you a pint or two! Thanks again :claping hands:

pipkin73

Glad it worked mate. A pint or two would be nice but i think the postage to Gran Canaria might be a little expensive lol

Skyblue4u

No probs, when we visit next year for two weeks I'll sort it. Don't worry about cooking us breakfast though we will be eating out:p

pipkin73

No probs, when we visit next year for two weeks I'll sort it. Don't worry about cooking us breakfast though we will be eating out:p

So where in Gran Canaria you staying? when you over? and safer eating out, Julie does a mean burnt taost lol

pipkin73

If we have another summer here like we did last year I'll be living in my tent in your back yard permanently! :p

Lmao i could say the same. Unless tourists start returning to the island i think we will all be pitching up at the Ricoh and refusing to pay rent lol.

Users who are viewing this thread