Laptop (1 Viewer)

Real

I'm going to be purchasing a laptop soon, I want a good one that enables me to put my DVD collections on there, The Sweeny, Minder, Auf Weidersehen Pet. I also want to be able to edit videos on there, so can any of you techy geeks suggest a good lappy? I'm thinking I'll be anywhere in the £1000 to £2000 price range.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Can't see the need to spend that much? I have a brilliant lappy - Hewlett Packard - 500gb hard drive, but I store all my movies on a 1Tb external hard drive to save space on my lappy. As for editing, I use Sony Vegas Pro for video and Adobe Audition for music and other sounds. I have used the finished music on my radio shows, so they are really good quality edit program. (I also qualified as a sound editor with the BBC many years ago - analogue editing! A right pain in the ass!)

im-confused

For that price range, you could get a very high spec Alienware, or maybe a pretty well spec'd macbook. But what you want to use it for, I'd suggest spending something like £300 - £600. anything more will be over spending.

Real

I'm hopeless when it comes to computers and all that, and when somebody asks a question like mine, one of the 1st things people ask is what's your budget, so I was pre-emoting that. The main reason I want to try my hand at video editing is because I'm a huge fan of The Sweeny, and I want to collate all of Regans Rants and upload it on to YouTube. Can you buy laptops with a video editing kit already installed? Or is it best to buy a decent one and install it myself?

Houchens Head

Some PC's come with pre-loaded programs such as Windows Movie-Maker, but as you can imagine, it is a very basic program. As I said earlier, an excellent program I use is Sony Vegas - currently ver. 12 I think. Easy to use, downloadable trial version (not that expensive to buy full version either). Just Google it and have a look at the trial version to see if it suits you. There's also loads of tutorials on YouTube.

mds

You need to look for 4 main things, CPU, GPU, RAM and 64bit os. at least quad core cpu, at least 4gb ram try for 8 or more, get one with dedicated graphics not onboard, get the graphics right first time, also an upgrade path over time when ram and cpu still hold up but gpu dont.. 64 bit os is a must for what you want to do, time saved especially with ram/cpu intensive tasks.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Hi all.

Even after my previous 'laptop' post, I never did follow up or do something about getting myself a laptop.

Now I've decided (again) I need FM back, as the handheld version just isn't the same. Hearing other people talk about the challenges are making me want to give it a go for myself (sad life I know, eh ;) ). Last laptop lasted me well, but went a knacker over 18 months ago. Not sure how I've lasted this long without a replacement and just a iPhone and iPad!

Found a couple of laptops, varying in price range, but not sure if would be any good for what I need it for. Main uses will be FM (priority), Microsoft office stuff, internet, photo editing / printing etc (nothing too complex).

Are any of the following any good?

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/LENOV...4_1492688.html
http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/LENOV...3_1492687.html (same as above but i7 and bigger price tag, but if performance would be decent, would consider paying it)
http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/LENOV...K_1296567.html (no disc drive in this one though which is putting me off, although FM would run off steam).
And finally http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Sony-...html#DetailTop (although this has an integrated rather than dedicated graphics card; unsure if FM needs a dedicated one to get the best out of it).

Not a techy person so apologies if anything on here is obvious / daft etc

im-confused

Personally, I'd go for the Lenovo u410 from that list. Not a bad price for what you get, and Lenovo are really doing well as a company recently. If a disk drive was really a concern, you can get a good external usb powered one for like £20.

olderskyblue

My son just got a Lenovo Yoga something or other.... Very nice bit of kit, screen flips to make it tablet like, and the quickest start up time i've witnessed on a windows machine. Up and running within seconds of pressing the start button.

sw88

Chief Commentator!

Houchens Head

Bumping this thread as I never did bother following up with my laptop purchase. However, I now need to get one so I can start backing up my phone as the memory is running very low and I'm not long into a 2 year contract :(

Have seen this one; i7 processor, 6GB, 750GB RAM / hard drive

Does it seem a good buy for £449.98?

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer...Windows_8_Laptop_in__NX.M8EEK.032/version.asp

I must admit, I've seen cheaper. 6gb memory with 1tb RAM at around £380. Unfortunately, it's a small outlet on the Isle of Wight.

Gint11

Thread for the IT forum? The forum is for football..you know...round ball into a goal on a green pitch?

Gint11

It's in the tech section?

Oh yeah, my apologies. was on the Tapatalk app and it didn't say this was the tech forum, assumed it was the normal one. Yeah my Laptops ace

Nick

Administrator
What are you going to use the Laptop for?

For backing your phone up, what about Dropbox / Google Drive?

Real

Right then, I've bought a laptop (2 actually but had to send the 1st one back because it did t have a DVD player. The 2nd one does but I still can't transfer my DVDs onto the laptop, even though I specified this as a must to the tech guy I was talking to. Do I send this one back or do I go and buy an external hard drive that I can rip DVDs onto?

stupot07

What software are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Nick

Administrator
It should work as long as it has a DVD drive.

What DVD ripping software you using?

Does it say what hard drive size you have?

How are you planning to watch the films once ripped?

I would get a NAS, something like this . Then all of your films are on your network so can be watched on phones / tablets etc.

Real

I haven't a clue about DVD ripping software? Should it be on there automatically or will I have to download a program?

It says 1TB HDD. Is that the hard drive size?

Nick

Administrator
I haven't a clue about DVD ripping software? Should it be on there automatically or will I have to download a program?

It says 1TB HDD. Is that the hard drive size?

Yep that will be the size of the hard drive. It will be enough for a fair few films.

You will need some ripping software, I have never used one but this looks ok - http://www.makemkv.com/download/

In theory you put the disc in, then press go and it converts into a file on your PC.

Make sure you do have a DVD Drive, a lot of new laptops come without!

Real

The one I sent back didn't have one. I assumed would be able to rip the DVDs in the same way as it's simple with CDs, but obviously not.

Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread