Laptops (1 Viewer)

lordy_87

Looking for a half decent laptop below £400. Just need it for running Microsoft word, PowerPoint, internet etc, nothing fancy. Ideally should fit comfortably in a rucksack.

I've had a look at Chromebooks and they seem to come in at a reasonable price.

Any recommendations?

Ta.

shmmeee

If you want Office I’d avoid a Chromebook, AFAIK the run web and android apps only so you’d be on a cut down version.

There’s some decent Asus and HP ones about, usually the same spec as a chromebook but with Windows. Make sure you get 8gb RAM or it’ll run like a dog.

Ian1779

I went to a independent computer shop and bought a Lenovo Thinkpad (refurbed and cost £300) about 4 years ago. It’s bulky and ugly but by far the best laptop I’ve ever bought. Had it souped up with some decent RAM like shmmeee said and it runs like a dream. It survived working from home during lockdown where I was on all Office applications all day.

ccfc92

We had Chromebooks ordered to our new company, sent them back within a couple of days.

They're more for kids learning to use a laptop than for use by an adult.

shmmeee

We had Chromebooks ordered to our new company, sent them back within a couple of days.

They're more for kids learning to use a laptop than for use by an adult.

Not sure that’s fair. It really depends what you do. If you’re comfortable using the web versions of stuff they’re fine. I’d use one as a dev box remoting into a server or if I was at uni.

lordy_87

If you want Office I’d avoid a Chromebook, AFAIK the run web and android apps only so you’d be on a cut down version.

There’s some decent Asus and HP ones about, usually the same spec as a chromebook but with Windows. Make sure you get 8gb RAM or it’ll run like a dog.
Ok thanks for that, will stay away from Chromebooks then.

SBAndy

I’ll second Lenovo, had one for about a year or so now and it cost about £200 including a year of Office 365 (which usually costs £60). Don’t use it for much at all, just some online banking and keeping spreadsheets as well as the other half doing some Word reports on there, but still going pretty well.

Trick is to not clog things like that up with shit. Agreed with the other half that nothing that wasn’t already on the laptop was being downloaded onto it. You won’t believe the memory issues that arise when that happens.

skyblue1991

I'd suggest looking for a refurbished laptop with 12 months guarantee. Ensure it has a decent sized SSD for your OS and programs like Office (300GB) and then your standard HDD can be used for storage

I'll have to check the spec of my refurbished HP laptop but runs like a dream for about £320. Think it was used previously as a gamers laptop so at the time the spec would've been very strong

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Kieranp96

I’ll second Lenovo, had one for about a year or so now and it cost about £200 including a year of Office 365 (which usually costs £60). Don’t use it for much at all, just some online banking and keeping spreadsheets as well as the other half doing some Word reports on there, but still going pretty well.

Trick is to not clog things like that up with shit. Agreed with the other half that nothing that wasn’t already on the laptop was being downloaded onto it. You won’t believe the memory issues that arise when that happens.
Lenovas are cheap, I've had 2 both I paid over £500 for one fell apart, the other had issues with the hdd, had 3 hdds fail within 6 months, lucky my main storage was ssd and was able to boot up and browse, all about ocs now if you don't need to be moving around with it build a solid pc for £500 and won't fail after a few months.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I use three laptops. 2 x HP's and a Dell. I prefer the HP's but that's just a personal preference. Most stuff that I need and use regularly is stored on a 1tb exterior hard drive which I just plug into either machine, so the actual hard drives of each machine has a relatively clean amount of memory.

Users who are viewing this thread