Last 6 games... (1 Viewer)

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Now before I start, this isn't a whinge or a moan, I don't expect us to win every game and I'm ecstatic about our start and the brand of football we are having the pleasure of watching. Before we kicked a ball i had no expectation of us getting in the play-offs or promotion so my expectation won't change although I will see anything above midtable as a huge bonus. We got off to a fantastic start whilst our last 6 games (away especially) has seen a slight drop off and below is a table of where we would stand if we didn't have the first three wins (call it a settling in to the season period for some teams):

Burton 15
Bury 14
Walsall 11
Colchester 11
Gillingham 10
Sheff United 10
Wigan 10
Millwall 10
Southend 10
Shrewsbury 10
Port Vale 9
Bradford 9
Rochdale 8
Barnsley 8
Peterborough 8
Coventry 7
Swindon 6
Chesterfield 5
Fleetwood 5
Scunthorpe 5
Oldham 4
Doncaster 4
Blackpool 4
Crewe 3

So, we would be 16th in the table. My question is, does this represent a fairer assessment of how we will do over the season or are we just having a minor blip?

tom88

Sorry mate but I don't buy this at all

Stats and figures can be chopped up to read anything you like. Why take the first 3 wins out of the picture?

The only figure that is important is that we are sitting 4th in the table and can beat anyone. All you need is consistancy

shmmeee

We've played some good teams in the last 6 to be fair, 3 of them in the top 5. And we've played reasonably well. We need to find a way to be more clinical, I think we'll kick on once Fortune is match fit and Kent/Murphy/Armstrong improve their understanding, maybe if we bring in a RB as well. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's only Scunthorpe where we've played particularly badly, our other losses have been close and to controversial goals.

ptr

Can see your point but like Tom says we are 4th, if your looking at stats the best stat there is, is league position. Most of us would have taken 4th at this point. We have beaten top of the league without out top gs and there is no team in that league I would say could 'definitely' beat us.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Stats and figures can be chopped up to read anything you like. Why take the first 3 wins out of the picture?

The only figure that is important is that we are sitting 4th in the table and can beat anyone. All you need is consistancy

I didn't say i bought into it. I offered it as a subject to be discussed. I'm not saying we should take the first three wins out the picture BUT quite often a team can start well thanks to good pre season prep and die off as other teams get more organised/fit. Take a look at the prem table to see it's fairly clear Leicester and West Ham won't sustain those positions. Again, I am not saying I fully agree with it at all because I think we've had a fantastic start, it was more a topic that could be discussed on a forum.

tom88

I didn't say i bought into it. I offered it as a subject to be discussed. I'm not saying we should take the first three wins out the picture BUT quite often a team can start well thanks to good pre season prep and die off as other teams get more organised/fit. Take a look at the prem table to see it's fairly clear Leicester and West Ham won't sustain those positions. Again, I am not saying I fully agree with it at all because I think we've had a fantastic start, it was more a topic that could be discussed on a forum.

I appreciate the time and effort you took to look into this.

However this year has to be the best chance we have of promotion and there is not going to be a runaway team either - Anything can happen.

Just enjoy it while we are 4th

skybluepm2

After the next 6 I think it'll be a fair marker of where we stand amongst the movers and shakers in this league. Next 3 on paper look winnable but then again they are usually the games that see our downfall.

The burden on Armstrong for me is too great. Yes the other midfielders are also burdened with chipping in but they aren't out and out strikers. Fortuné was given an hour yesterday, perhaps an indication that he will start on Saturday, or perhaps a more meaningful contribution?

bringbackrattles

What has to be mentioned is we've already lost 3 games away but are unbeaten at the Ricoh.I'm loving the football being played under Mowbray and long may it continue,but if we don't start winning on the road it could be us looking at a mid-table position at the end of the season ?Obviously it's early days and things can change but let's be honest we need to be thinking top six don't we with the talent we've got ?

wingy

It's possible we were fortunate In facing the first two when we did
This was acknowledged by Mowbray, while we all went mental,does this help the debate?:)

SkyBlue_Bear83

I think we're just adjusting to the injures to Maddison and Willis, first 3 games we had a settled side and looked really good, since then we've had to chop and change with replacing Maddison and Willis, integrating Kent and Murphy and illness to Phillips, O'Brien and Lameiras in the last 3 games.

We're still tinkering with personal and system at the moment to deal with injuries and find a better system away from home. Once we've settled on it and have a more consistent team selection I believe we will see improved consistency in results

wingy

I think we're just adjusting to the injures to Maddison and Willis, first 3 games we had a settled side and looked really good, since then we've had to chop and change with replacing Maddison and Willis, integrating Kent and Murphy and illness to Phillips, O'Brien and Lameiras in the last 3 games.

We're still tinkering with personal and system at the moment to deal with injuries and find a better system away from home. Once we've settled on it and have a more consistent team selection I believe we will see improved consistency in results

Your mention of Phillies there raises the question, Is he Injured currently, didn't get a game for sharpness yesterday.
Was he In the Squad on Saturday?

Warwickhunt

remove the first 3 games from all of the teams and then see where we are

Skyblueweeman

It's a fair comment from the OP, albeit as another poster pointed out, stats can be painted any old way to aide your opinion.

It's strange that our 'home' form and away form seem to have switched from previous seasons. I too am a little concerned about the past few games and results but that said, I would've grabbed 4th place at this point if offered it at the start of the season. I was also one of the few who were (and still am a little bit) unsure of TM and rightly, many people said let's see where we are after 10 games...that's normally the first fair yard stick. Worst case scenario, we'd be 9th/10th so many, including myself will have taken that.

Fair play to TM...he's come in to a sinking ship, plugged some of the holes and has started to give the club a bit of buoyancy. I still get pee'd off when we lose and if I'm honest, I expect us to finish around mid-table. After the start we had, many would see that as disappointing but casting our minds back to the end of last season, mid-season would be a remarkable achievement.

Looking to get to the Swindon game which will be first since the Pompey pre-season match (my last before that was Crewe at home in April) so am hoping for a much improved performance which I'm sure won't be too hard to beat!

WM

Hobo

You look at the next result, then the one after that and then the one after that....things will keep changing...but you keep checking each result. Then at the end of the season the table tells you where you are at.

now that is the key, where you are after the last game. All those other league positions don't mean a jot come the end of the season.

Juggernaut

I think the first 3 games mask the fact that we are actually an average League one team. Especially without Maddison.

We're not good enough at the back and we have too many young lads in our front four who will be too inconsistent to see us push for promotion.

Skyblueweeman

I think the first 3 games mask the fact that we are actually an average League one team. Especially without Maddison.

We're not good enough at the back and we have too many young lads in our front four who will be too inconsistent to see us push for promotion.

That might be so (and I sort of agree with you) but it's a ma-hoo-sive improvement on last years squad/team and the football apparently is much better. It's going in the right direction.

Juggernaut

That might be so (and I sort of agree with you) but it's a ma-hoo-sive improvement on last years squad/team and the football apparently is much better. It's going in the right direction.

Since the Crewe game the standard of performance (in my opinion) hasn't been any better than last season. Burton away we were terrible but got the result, it was a similar performance to the Bury game. Didn't go to Chesterfield game so can't comment on that but a lot of league one games are similar, both teams aren't very good and there's usually one goal in it. If we win it gets glossed over and if we lose we get slated.

First three games were brilliant, but let's not forget in seasons gone past we've been brilliant the first few games then just died a painful death. Not saying that is going to happen this year but the performances since Crewe haven't left me feeling comfortable and and confident of a promotion push.

Skyblueweeman

Since the Crewe game the standard of performance (in my opinion) hasn't been any better than last season. Burton away we were terrible but got the result, it was a similar performance to the Bury game. Didn't go to Chesterfield game so can't comment on that but a lot of league one games are similar, both teams aren't very good and there's usually one goal in it. If we win it gets glossed over and if we lose we get slated.

First three games were brilliant, but let's not forget in seasons gone past we've been brilliant the first few games then just died a painful death. Not saying that is going to happen this year but the performances since Crewe haven't left me feeling comfortable and and confident of a promotion push.

I said 'apparently' as I've not seen us play yet since the Pompey pre-season game but am going on reports on here when the majority have said that actually, our play has been better.

Juggernaut

I said 'apparently' as I've not seen us play yet since the Pompey pre-season game but am going on reports on here when the majority have said that actually, our play has been better.

Fair enough, still not sure I agree with that though. I think the fact we've won 5 games have masked the performances a little.

stupot07

ebd078e1a991aa7a6da04382021f7da9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

maddog

Away we have played poorly since Milwall. However, at Bury we were robbed of a point by dreadful officials. Never a pen. At Walsall we were awful but their second goal was offside under the new rules. The other goals conceded against Scunthorpe and the first against Bury were schoolboy errors. Hopefully the mistakes can be put right.

rupert_bear

I won't be making any judgement or camparisons until xmas that's when we will have a good idea where we are at, top 6 in September means sweet f/a.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Fair enough, still not sure I agree with that though. I think the fact we've won 5 games have masked the performances a little.

Really? I don't think we've actually got as many points as our performances merit.

Chesterfield match was a very good performance, could have scored 4 or 5 easily. Southend was frustrating but we still should have won, away performances have been pretty average since Milwall but still should have taken at least a point at Bury and maybe all 3. Only rank performance this performance has been Scunthrope and we still should have seen that match out for a 0-0.

Juggernaut

Really? I don't think we've actually got as many points as our performances merit.

Chesterfield match was a very good performance, could have scored 4 or 5 easily. Southend was frustrating but we still should have won, away performances have been pretty average since Milwall but still should have taken at least a point at Bury and maybe all 3. Only rank performance this performance has been Scunthrope and we still should have seen that match out for a 0-0.

Southend we could have easily lost though aswell. Southend was a mergh kind of performance where any of the 3 results you couldn't have argued with. Scunthorpe, Bury, Burton and Walsall we were awful in all 4 of those and they were no different to last years performances!

higgs

Apart from winning first 3 games we can't seem to string back to back wins together it was the same last year if we can start doing that then we could be in and around the top six at the end of the season the next 11 games will tell alot once we have played 20 we will have a better idea of whether we are consistently a top 6 team or not

chiefdave

In this division there won't be many teams that are consistent. All we need to do is stay in the mix until January. Then it will partially be down to what happens in the window. If we stand still while others improve their squads it will make any shot at the play offs or promotion a lot harder.

Johhny Blue

If you take out the last 8 games we'd be in danger of Relegation

Grendel

Southend we could have easily lost though aswell. Southend was a mergh kind of performance where any of the 3 results you couldn't have argued with. Scunthorpe, Bury, Burton and Walsall we were awful in all 4 of those and they were no different to last years performances!

The Southend game was dominated by Coventry other than a 10 minute spell of poor defending.

They were mighty relieved with a point against us.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I think Its telling no matter who the personnel we still concede from many set pieces.

Mowbray sides have a bit of a reputation for being poor defending set pieces I believe, a WBA fan said close your eyes when ever the opposition has a corner or words to that effect when he was appointed.

I think Mowbray said Oggie does all the defensive set pieces

Otis

Now before I start, this isn't a whinge or a moan, I don't expect us to win every game and I'm ecstatic about our start and the brand of football we are having the pleasure of watching. Before we kicked a ball i had no expectation of us getting in the play-offs or promotion so my expectation won't change although I will see anything above midtable as a huge bonus. We got off to a fantastic start whilst our last 6 games (away especially) has seen a slight drop off and below is a table of where we would stand if we didn't have the first three wins (call it a settling in to the season period for some teams):

Burton 15
Bury 14
Walsall 11
Colchester 11
Gillingham 10
Sheff United 10
Wigan 10
Millwall 10
Southend 10
Shrewsbury 10
Port Vale 9
Bradford 9
Rochdale 8
Barnsley 8
Peterborough 8
Coventry 7
Swindon 6
Chesterfield 5
Fleetwood 5
Scunthorpe 5
Oldham 4
Doncaster 4
Blackpool 4
Crewe 3

So, we would be 16th in the table. My question is, does this represent a fairer assessment of how we will do over the season or are we just having a minor blip?
Though flawed, it's a fair point.

Could be argued that we caught teams on the hop those first 3 games and that now teams have sussed out how to play against us.

Guess we will only know that if we continue in the same vein as we have been since those first 3 wins.

My own personal view is that teams did indeed study how we set our stall those first 3 games and have tried to counter that. Armstrong very much a case in point, who was sensational those first 3 games, but was then totally nullified for the next 2.

The positive in all this though is that now we have adjusted our game slightly ourselves and brought in a different type of player in the likes of Fortune etc. and I see no reason why we can't go and replicate that first 3 game burst.

We do need more consistency, but hopefully that will come as the season wears on.

Gazolba

Could be argued that we caught teams on the hop those first 3 games and that now teams have sussed out how to play against us.

My own personal view is that teams did indeed study how we set our stall those first 3 games and have tried to counter that.

Sorry, but your argument falls completely flat when you consider that we have also had the opportunity to 'suss' the other teams out. So assuming we are doing that as diligently as our opponents, the relative advantages should cancel each other out and not be a consideration.

Well my first ever post guys, In the games we have lost we have never been played off the park, all off them lost by one goal , its a very thin dividing line between winning and losing sometimes. Its early days yet ,lets wait and see

Users who are viewing this thread