League two players at the end of deals with 10+ league goals (1 Viewer)

steve82

Just been glancing through the league two players who have scored more than 10 league goals who's current deals are expiring July 1st who are possibly available in the summer, I still feel we need more goals from all areas of the team and we may look at a few hopefully.
*Strikers in league two with 10+ goals in the league.
Chris porter 33 Colchester 15 league goals
Ollie Watkins 21 Exeter City 13 league goals (14 in all comps)
Jon Stead 34 Notts County 14 league goals
Reuben Reid LM 28 Exeter City 11 league goals (12 in all comps)
Adebayo Akinfenwa 34 Wycombe 11 league goals (17 in all comps)
Kyle Vassell 24 Blackpool 11 league goals (13 in all comps)
Matt Green 30 Mansfield Town 10 league goals (13 in all comps)
Chris Dagnall 30 Crewe Alexandra 10 league goals (12 in all comps)

*Attacking forward players in league two*
David Wheeler RM 26 Exeter City 14 league goals (16 in all comps)
Graham Carey AM 27 Plymouth 13 league goals (13 in all comps)
Brad Potts 22 CM Blackpool 10 league goals (12 in all comps)
Brennan Dickinson LM 24 Colchester United 11 league goals (10 in all comps)
Billy Waters LM 22 Cheltenham Town 12 league goals (13 in all comps)
Cameron McGeehan CM 22 Luton Town 10 league goals (11 in all comps)
Jason Kennedy CM 30 Carlisle United 10 league goals (11 in all comps)

SlowerThanPlatt

Surprised Dagnall has scored that many always thought he was a Beavon type player, one who works hard for the team and creates opportunities through his desire but doesn't find the back of net regularly.

Think Ollie Watkins is going to the Championship.

Wouldn't mind us asking about Reuben Reid though.

speedie87

To get near the top we are going to need to score 70ish goals. So going to need goals from all over the pitch.

steve82

Surprised Dagnall has scored that many always thought he was a Beavon type player, one who works hard for the team and creates opportunities through his desire but doesn't find the back of net regularly.

Think Ollie Watkins is going to the Championship.

Wouldn't mind us asking about Reuben Reid though.

To get near the top we are going to need to score 70ish goals. So going to need goals from all over the pitch.

Chris Dagnal ain't that bad to be honest, just looked and he's a career ratio of just over 1 in 3 goals a game in league two. Plus he's managed the bag 10 goals in a poor Crewe side that's struggled all season.

Speedie87 as you say we need goals from all over or a 20+ man with a few goals still from the rest of the team.
Looking at some of the teams in league two Portsmouth don't have a out and out goal scorer. There top marksman is on 11 goals but nearly every attacking player is contributing to the goals with a few scored 9,8,7,6 goals each.
Clean sheets don't get you up, they help but you need goals in your team to be more reliable to get maximum points.

Skyblueweeman

Is the Vassell bloke related to Darius (the ex England/Villa striker...not the one who appeared on some shit singing contest years back...)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFCCOVENTRY

Just been glancing through the league two players who have scored more than 10 league goals who's current deals are expiring July 1st who are possibly available in the summer, I still feel we need more goals from all areas of the team and we may look at a few hopefully.

How many of these players will be promoted to L1?

AlansEyes

I'm pretty sure that Akinfenwa either has another year on his contract or at least has an option to extend which has been taken up.

steve82

How many of these players will be promoted to L1?

Not many actually. looking further into it, it seems only the 2 Blackpool players Vassell and Potts have options for a contract.
Of the names it's only Carey who is looking certain for promotion the rest are fighting for a play off spot like Colchester, Luton and Exeter players.
The lad Billy Waters tho at Cheltenham maybe useful addition, they're only just looking safe in league two.
A few interesting names tho that realistically we could temp to add much needed fire power.

steve82

I'm pretty sure that Akinfenwa either has another year on his contract or at least has an option to extend which has been taken up.

Cannot see anything but I don't think he suits Robins style of play so no need to worry on him

steve82

Be good to put ages next to those players.

Porter Stead Akinfewa to name 3 are all the wrong side of 30 and way too old for us.

We need youth speed hunger and technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sort of see where your coming from with the age but take them 3 alone. Yes there 33/34 but combined there is 40 league goals and 46 goals over a season.
Yes I'd personally like to build a team to develop and grow together with hungry younger players but you can have one or two senior players for a short term fix in the aim of promotion.
Akinfenwa does not suit the Robins model but a Porter or Stead could prove to be good signings.
I don't think we should write all players off that are 32 or over.

skyblue1991

Happy with midfielders with 10 goals a season as we are in desperate need for some.

Why would strikers with 10+ goals a season be good for us when they could potentially not be wanted by their current clubs?

steve82

Happy with midfielders with 10 goals a season as we are in desperate need for some.

Why would strikers with 10+ goals a season be good for us when they could potentially not be wanted by their current clubs?

If they've scored goals in this league and there club is happy to end ties with said player then surely that's better for MR if he's interested in them.
Surely a player wants to feel wanted by there manager and part of a teams plans??
I don't get where your coming from there?

skybluedan

Even non league, would rather have ricky miller from Dover than tudgay, and be on less money

larry_david

Luke Berry. Cambridge. Scored 20 goals for this club this season from midfield including 4 past a certain league 1 side in the cup
Carey no chance he's off to Championship

steve82

Luke Berry. Cambridge. Scored 20 goals for this club this season from midfield including 4 past a certain league 1 side in the cup

Luke Berry is contracted to 2019 at Cambridge so he's not listed as a player who's available on a free this summer.
There's a few players that we could list who have scored 10+ in league two but your gonna have to pay, that's a whole new thread.

edgy

There's a player at Solihull Moors who's always bagging goals. Highly rated but no one taken a punt on him yet. Think his name is Asanti or something like that.

Just checked and apparently he signed for Grimsby in January but doesn't seem to have made an appearance yet.

Last edited:

Alkhen

in the unlikely event Robins gets a bit of cash to spend id like him to invest in young talent proven at a lower level.

I've been watching my local team Forest Green Rovers recently and their Centre forward Christian Doidge looks the real deal.
Think a budget Harry Kane type, not exactly quick but seems to get on the end of stuff, uses his strength and has presence of mind to use technique and skill to create better chances.

He has 24 goals already this year.

larry_david

John Marquis and James Collins both available on a free last season (26 and 19 league goals) so there are players that will be available on a free that can fire us to promotion. Reuban Reid was another I think

trevelfarandwide

Is that the left footed kid? If so, that lad is destined for big things, he's got some undeniable talent.

Carey is a very good player, another left footer who can wallop them in for fun from distance - no way he'll be in the lower leagues for long though, sadly.

trevelfarandwide

Also, I'm all for bringing in a proven young striker from non-league, to see if he can cut it in L2. If not, I think Robins will have a serious look at Ponticelli. Personally, I think if he played Ponticelli off Beavon, the lad will undoubtedly score goals.

steve82

John Marquis and James Collins both available on a free last season (26 and 19 league goals) so there are players that will be available on a free that can fire us to promotion. Reuban Reid was another I think

Your correct, there will be players out there available if you got a manager that's prepared to look. Let's hope Mark Robins is very shrewd this summer and operates better than the business we did last summer.

RocketSkates

I live near Exeter and all the Exeter City fans bang on about Ollie Watkins all the time. He's seems pretty decent to be fair and pretty young too

RWW

As an Argyle fan I've watched your demise with real sadness. I still remember watching your Cup Final win as a kid!!!

We've had our own problems and administration but have come through it. We almost fell out the league 3 seasons ago but are now just 1 point from getting out of this dogshit division...

Players

Carey - best player in L2 by a mile. Out of contract and should be a Championshop player. Played for our manager in Scotland so may stay....unlikely to go to anyone below Championship standard.

Reid - stay away. Injury prone, overweight and lazy. Didn't have a club until well into August. The fact he scores goals sums up the defences.

Watkins - great potential. Will go for £3 mill + to a Championship team. Goes missing in big games.

What do you need to get out of this awful division?

A centre half that wins everything in the air. Pace would help but not required as few forwards have pace.

A midfield enforcer. Many teams, Wycombe being the prime example, will take gamesmanship to a level you've never seen. You need someone in midfield who won't be bullied. Wycombe are the only team I've ever seen time wasting when losing.

You will get loads of the ball as so many teams are awful. You will do well if you have a midfielder who can pass the ball. Few teams do. Most strikers in this league just let the ball bounce off them.

Any pace up front will terrify defenders

The refs will be the worst you've ever seen. I rarely know what decision has been made when he blows his whistle!

You will be teams cup final if Portsmouth go up with us. Players will raise their game against you

It is an awful division and I hope you get out of it quickly!

Alkhen

As an Argyle fan I've watched your demise with real sadness. I still remember watching your Cup Final win as a kid!!!

We've had our own problems and administration but have come through it. We almost fell out the league 3 seasons ago but are now just 1 point from getting out of this dogshit division...

Players

Carey - best player in L2 by a mile. Out of contract and should be a Championshop player. Played for our manager in Scotland so may stay....unlikely to go to anyone below Championship standard.

Reid - stay away. Injury prone, overweight and lazy. Didn't have a club until well into August. The fact he scores goals sums up the defences.

Watkins - great potential. Will go for £3 mill + to a Championship team. Goes missing in big games.

What do you need to get out of this awful division?

A centre half that wins everything in the air. Pace would help but not required as few forwards have pace.

A midfield enforcer. Many teams, Wycombe being the prime example, will take gamesmanship to a level you've never seen. You need someone in midfield who won't be bullied. Wycombe are the only team I've ever seen time wasting when losing.

You will get loads of the ball as so many teams are awful. You will do well if you have a midfielder who can pass the ball. Few teams do. Most strikers in this league just let the ball bounce off them.

Any pace up front will terrify defenders

The refs will be the worst you've ever seen. I rarely know what decision has been made when he blows his whistle!

You will be teams cup final if Portsmouth go up with us. Players will raise their game against you

It is an awful division and I hope you get out of it quickly!

Quality insight, thanks for taking the time to share.

I have horrible feeling we will be down there for a good few years. Most of my family are Pompey fans and like you mentioned teams upping their game against the big name club coupled with poor finances have really been a struggle for them. Looks like they are up this year mind

Nick

Administrator

Billy Waters signs for Northampton!

Warwickhunt

John Stead is so experienced i remember whe he played for us and managed to score a few goal in a really shit side

Users who are viewing this thread