Lease cars (1 Viewer)

dancers lance

I'm in the market for a new car and I have been looking at buying new-ish used or a brand new one on finance, however there seems to be a lot of offers on lease cars knocking about, does anyone have one, is it worth it, what are the pros and cons? Some of the deals seem very good but are there hidden catches?

Last edited:

westofrayne

Leasing - Cons - Watch out for, the amount of upfront cost, is the deal a certain mile/yr, over milage charges, damage charges at end of lease, especially the cost to repair. Does deal include maintenance ? Most deals quoted don't include tax.

Pros - New car every few years, don't pay out up front for new car, can be cheaper than buying.

Buying. Pro - You own car, no milage restrictions, you fund a deal to suit you. Con - up front cost, got to haggle (?)

I have a company car with via a lease company, easy one stop shop, but end of lease even the smallest mark seems to be a major issue, over milage charges can be steep.

I have just purchased a pre-reg Volvo XC60 for my wife, got a great deal buying this way, but we plan to keep this car for 5+ years so don't mind paying out up front.

it all depends on what you want from the car, what you can afford, how long you want the car for and if you want a brand new car.

if buying I would go for a pre-reg all day long, some great deals out there.
if you want to regularly swap the car and do low mileage the a lease car may be a better deal.

stupot07

I lease through work and I must say it was more affordable and I don't need to pay anything upfront. It goes back in July and I am worried about getting stung on any blemishes or marks on the car. I will probably lease again though as I don't have the cash or car to go and buy part exchange. Luckily I don't do a lot of miles.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dancers lance

Leasing - Cons - Watch out for, the amount of upfront cost, is the deal a certain mile/yr, over milage charges, damage charges at end of lease, especially the cost to repair. Does deal include maintenance ? Most deals quoted don't include tax.

Pros - New car every few years, don't pay out up front for new car, can be cheaper than buying.

Buying. Pro - You own car, no milage restrictions, you fund a deal to suit you. Con - up front cost, got to haggle (?)

I have a company car with via a lease company, easy one stop shop, but end of lease even the smallest mark seems to be a major issue, over milage charges can be steep.

I have just purchased a pre-reg Volvo XC60 for my wife, got a great deal buying this way, but we plan to keep this car for 5+ years so don't mind paying out up front.

it all depends on what you want from the car, what you can afford, how long you want the car for and if you want a brand new car.

if buying I would go for a pre-reg all day long, some great deals out there.
if you want to regularly swap the car and do low mileage the a lease car may be a better deal.
Thanks for the reply, I didn't think about pre-reg and after looking there are some very good savings to be had, I might go down this route. As you say, many of the lease contracts do seem to be very strict on mileage and can hit you hard on 'ware and tare' at the end of the contract.

Marty

I have a car on lease. Goes back next January. Won't do it again though. Would rather have something a little less expensive but something that's mine next time.

Terry Gibson's perm

Not sure who you work for but Hyundai have corporate deals with loads of companies my wife works for the NHS and you can for them, this is to buy but it took big % of some cars, I think Vauxhall do the same and other companies are bound to. We got my wife a 308sw list was 21k and got it for 14k brand new but three years on it's only worth 6k

dancers lance

I quite like the look of the Volvo XC60 and it 's the sort of car I'm looking for, just found a pre-reg with 8k off the list price.

dancers lance

Not sure who you work for but Hyundai have corporate deals with loads of companies my wife works for the NHS and you can for them, this is to buy but it took big % of some cars, I think Vauxhall do the same and other companies are bound to. We got my wife a 308sw list was 21k and got it for 14k brand new but three years on it's only worth 6k
That's the thing that puts me off buying new, many cars just seem to plummet in value after you drive them off the forecourt. I'm self employed so sadly I don't have the corporate option.

Terry Gibson's perm

That's the thing that puts me off buying new, many cars just seem to plummet in value after you drive them off the forecourt. I'm self employed so sadly I don't have the corporate option.

We are going to sell it and use the Motobilty scheme as that covers everything

westofrayne

I quite like the look of the Volvo XC60 and it 's the sort of car I'm looking for, just found a pre-reg with 8k off the list price.

My wife and got the XC60 SE LUX NAV with Winter pack +bending Headlights children pack and removal towbar with 150 miles on clock 4 months old for £28k. very happy with car and deal. there are pleny of them out there but be advised that the XC60 is in for major facelift late this year, as per the XC90, so over the next 6 months there will be high spec'ed cars out there as pre-regs.

note - MPG of the car is not the best expect mid 40s for diesel auto

scottccfc

Have a look on carwow for new car offers sometimes this can beat the nearly new market.
Car wow allows you to do a couple of different quotes for different cars.

jimmyhillsfanclub

VW sell a lot of pre-reg on their approved used site......basically a new vehicle with full warranty but a big chunk knocked off the price......

Are you VAT registered?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I drive a leased car via Motability. I bloody love it! Nowt to worry about except putting fuel in. Mileage not a worry coz they don't bother about it (but living down here, mileage is low anyway!). I exchanged my last car - Ford Focus (heap of shit) with just 9,584 on the clock after 3 years motoring! Also, they give you £250 back if the car is returned in good condition (even slight scratches are acceptable).

Users who are viewing this thread