Lee Burge (1 Viewer)

lifeskyblue

Sorry at time I thought it was Clarke but may have been stokes. As for the shot it was a 1 on 1. Yes he should have done a little better but you would expect a striker to score. Burge was exposed...no defensive cover. He went down early but was not really st fault

PUSB

Otis

Sorry at time I thought it was Clarke but may have been stokes. As for the shot it was a 1 on 1. Yes he should have done a little better but you would expect a striker to score. Burge was exposed...no defensive cover. He went down early but was not really st fault

PUSB
A collective effort and a poor goal defensively all round. :(

steve82

I believe they are both as good as they will get can't see any differance between the two of them get rid of both let's start afresh.
They have both had a chance.

Yes burge could have done better with both...perhaps should have come for first and shouldn't have gone down early for second. But at the corner no defender moved or challenged and with the second Clarke sold himself, and the winger was left open and in space. For me burge could have done better with both but it was defenders at fault.

PUSB

While I see your view on releasing both that's simply unlikely to happen due to the wage budget and structure. RCC has another year on his contract so for that i'd make him back up to a experienced keeper next season.
Burge I simply see no reason to offer a new deal unless you sell RCC or give him the no1 shirt again next season. But a poor playing budget may see us stuck with them both again next year. A decision for Robins to see where on his list of priorities the keeper situation is to him.
For the 1st your keeper should be claiming them balls, don't give your defenders a choice to make, a keeper needs to be decisive. Doyle did for Bradford for most of our corners and crosses. Burge was not, and has not been. How many points could we of saved with a decisive seasoned keeper.
For the 2nd to me was a host of errors, midfield were open, clarke tried to kill it coming for a 60/40 ball and from that we were to lob sided as a defence as we were most the game. Burge could of arguably done better with the shot.

letsallsingtogether

While I see your view on releasing both that's simply unlikely to happen due to the wage budget and structure. RCC has another year on his contract so for that i'd make him back up to a experienced keeper next season.
Burge I simply see no reason to offer a new deal unless you sell RCC or give him the no1 shirt again next season. But a poor playing budget may see us stuck with them both again next year. A decision for Robins to see where on his list of priorities the keeper situation is to him.
For the 1st your keeper should be claiming them balls, don't give your defenders a choice to make, a keeper needs to be decisive. Doyle did for Bradford for most of our corners and crosses. Burge was not, and has not been. How many points could we of saved with a decisive seasoned keeper.
For the 2nd to me was a host of errors, midfield were open, clarke tried to kill it coming for a 60/40 ball and from that we were to lob sided as a defence as we were most the game. Burge could of arguably done better with the shot.
The reason Doyle caught all our corners is they were aimed at him.

steve82

The reason Doyle caught all our corners is they were aimed at him.

3 in a row were put to the 6 yard box, yes poor corners but a ball in the 6 yard box for any keeper to deal with.
What's he hoping to achieve glued to his line?
He's to easily bullied as a keeper, boxed in on his line and keepers are generally over protected as it is so he should try to do more.
A keeper is there to command the box, claim what he can. Offer support to the defence as they can see danger unfold so can be vocal in there support to position players to counter the oppositions threat
We've seen none of that this season, our keepers only seem there for returning the ball into play and throwing the ball back to the centre spot.

Last edited:

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Watched Millwall this afternoon their keeper King takes me back to when we signed his namesake from them in the seventy's for a fair wedge could not command his box( could not deal with crosses) same as Burge he got called "Dracula"

letsallsingtogether

3 in a row were put to the 6 yard box, yes poor corners but a ball in the 6 yard box for any keeper to deal with.
What's he hoping to achieve glued to his line?
He's to easily bullied as a keeper, boxed in on his line and keepers are generally over protected as it is so he should try to do more.
A keeper is there to command the box, claim what he can. Offer support to the defence as they can see danger unfold so can be vocal in there support to position players to counter the oppositions threat
We've seen none of that this season, our keepers only seem there for returning the ball into play and throwing the ball back to the centre spot.
Not arguing with that but people are putting the blame for poor defending from most of our opposition's set play in the goalkeepers hands they should all know where they have to stand and who they are marking.
Wouldn't matter who we had in goal from our choices we would still have lost IMO.
But I know that has RCC made the same mistakes people would have said it was poor defending and the keeper never had a chance.

steve82

Not arguing with that but people are putting the blame for poor defending from most of our opposition's set play in the goalkeepers hands they should all know where they have to stand and who they are marking.
Wouldn't matter who we had in goal from our choices we would still have lost IMO.
But I know that has RCC made the same mistakes people would have said it was poor defending and the keeper never had a chance.

I partly agree with you and not arguing too with your points. I was in the RCC camp, and backing the use of the two we have. It's clear as day now it's not ideal, its cost is various games over the course of the season just on keeping errors alone from both without the should of could of factors....
I just feel a experienced keeper based on that scenario for the 1st goal would of likely claimed it comfortably, not left it for the defence which too should of been able to deal with it.
We see it most weeks a keeper just coming and getting it, no hesitancy just bang... mine! The danger is cleared then, just by having that decisive keeper who's too experienced to be bullied and stuck to his line. If he misses then they 95% of the time win the foul.

Jimmy Hill's Chin

Just watched the goals. The first one, any decent keeper would have claimed or punched away. Burge just stood on his goal line like a scare crow. Motionless and helpless. Second goal was a pretty soft shot which just went through Burge as if he wasn't there. Robins - we've seen enough, please get rid.

Cov kid 55

Yes, people have it in for Burge, I saw him at Bury and Shrewsbury and he did ok. Having said that, an experienced, commanding goalkeeper would improve the defence. But just think about the confidence level of a young goalkeeper, playing for City in this disastrous season, they deserve a bit of sympathy and understanding, I feel.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Millwall's King this afternoon let the last one through his legs but I bet their fans are not shouting for him to be dropped but when your in a struggling team any mistake is magnified.

Liquid Gold

Looking at the highlights he's 100% at fault for both. 1st he didn't move at all, from the corner being taken to the ball in the net he was stood on the same spot. Second he should have palmed it out but got absolutely nothing on it. Worst ever player to play regularly for us.

luwalla

The first goal came into the 6 yard box , about 3 foot from him, didn't it ? He should be eating them up, or at least just punching them away. He has no confidence at all coming off his line.... RCC is the total opppoaite, and maybe takes the odd risk that's a step beyond, but I'd much rather that!!

I'm pretty sure the defence have no confidence in burge. I honestly can't see why he is first choice over RCC, total liability

Users who are viewing this thread