Lee Burge (1 Viewer)

Adge

Burge will have good games and bad games, he polarises opinion because he's so inconsistent. This season he will appear better purely because he has a more dominant centre half in front of him (Rmcd) and a more experienced and defensive minded midfield.
It's no supprise that we are keeping more clean sheets at the expense of scoring goals. Those teams that can get the balance right year after year end up in the champions league, Those who don't, end up in division 2.
He will also appear better because we are now also at a lesser level.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
He was fairly criticized when he first played, he made mistakes and was poor, he is now much improved and worthy of the place. Never in the league of keepers we were lucky enough to have but equally, they were all premiership and championship standard ones. We are Div 4, standards are poor, take the referee yesterday, pub darts player in his spare time with that type around his waist.

I for one would stick with Burge as I think game time is good for him, people laugh at his kicking but actually, he released one quickly to JJ yesterday which was superb accuracy. Always going to be mixed opinions on keepers, I would rather he come for the ball and make the odd mistake than not.

JWC

And the 2 prior to that was OB 2 games 2 clean sheets! They're soon forgotten about.
I don't get this fixation with people calling for competition for starting places with the GK. It's a fucking ridiculous notion. A good, experienced GK will (should) save a team more points over the course of the season than what he'll cost them.
Take for example Tottenham v Chelsea. Hugo Lloris I thought made a dreadful error and cost Tottenham the game. Was he watching his back though, like a nervous wreck that his 1st mistake meant that his back up keeper was in goal til he fucked up? Then vice-versa? No, he's stuck with. He's number 1 and will be there til he's injured or suspended. Name me a single premier league club that, instead of having and experienced number 1 in goal, have instead got 2 bang average keepers on each other's toes waiting for a blunder??? Not fucking 1, that's how many!!! How well has it worked for us so far?? And this is our 3rd or 4th season with this scenario! Hasn't worked so far for a reason! The best of the 2 needs to stay as back up and a proper 1st team keeper should be put in place, without the fear of the first mistake he makes he bench warming.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
I think the sooner we stop comparing us to premier league teams, the better.

Burge is a good keeper for where we are, which is in the 4th division.

skyblue025

Burge has improved a lot as a keeper in the past 18 months. He has only played 60-70 games so is still lacking in experience. How many did he kick straight into touch yesterday? There was 1 second half yesterday I can think of but that's about it. It doesn't help his cause that we are a team of midgets in midfield and upfront bar Vincenti. Thought he played well yesterday and dealt with everything thrown at him. Beginning of last season I used to have kittens every time the ball came near him, now I'm confident he can deal with most things coming his way.

fernandopartridge

Burge has improved a lot as a keeper in the past 18 months. He has only played 60-70 games so is still lacking in experience. How many did he kick straight into touch yesterday? There was 1 second half yesterday I can think of but that's about it. It doesn't help his cause that we are a team of midgets in midfield and upfront bar Vincenti. Thought he played well yesterday and dealt with everything thrown at him. Beginning of last season I used to have kittens every time the ball came near him, now I'm confident he can deal with most things coming his way.
I reckon it's all the Wasps paraphernalia confusing him. The rugby divs cheer when somebody kicks it out of play.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

luwalla

my two cents...

his performance yesterday, bar the kicking, was solid. Certainly as good as you'll find in this league. Came and commanded his box well, and gave defenders confidence. Caught pretty much impeccably, even under pressure. Made a couple of crucial saves in that last period of pressure, once coming out big & once diving sharply & clearing a point black range off the line... as I say, as good as you will find in this league bar the kicking

If he can do that every match & work on his kicking then he is well deserved of being number 1...

Right now onto the kicking. We know its his weak spot, he knows its his weak spot, and he is putting in decent performances aside from the kicking, so we have to get behind him. Any kind of added pressure from the crowd isn't going to help that side to his game at all, and his position is one that hinges so much on confidence

Warwickhunt

Getting better with every game, I think O,brien has served it's purpose

torchomatic

After just 4 games?

I agree Burge should now be number one at the moment. He's been pretty steady, but we can't just write O'Brien off on the back of two mistake surely?

Well, as one mistake was in Somerset he has technically only made one error.

skybluedan

burge ain't never been any good at the basics imo ,but does look more solid with our new look defence and seems to be getting the basics right apart from the kicking I hear? Keeper has been a problem for us for years and don't think him or rcc has installed any confidence in the rest of the squad for some time, O'Brien has come in had a couple of games and maybe gave burge a kick up the arse he's needed. Only time will tell boys

PVA

Yeah his kicking is terrible but I'm not really that fussed by it. We're in division 4, every player has weaknesses. Vincenti is slow, Willis' distribution is awful, Nazon's decision making is poor, and so on.

Of all the weaknesses a keeper can have, I think kicking is probably the one you'd choose.

oucho

Mine's called Theobald Gristle Hedgetrimmer the Third, so with you on that, bud.
Nothing wrong with that name.

Adge

After just 4 games?

I agree Burge should now be number one at the moment. He's been pretty steady, but we can't just write O'Brien off on the back of two mistake surely?
Your right-after 2 mistakes you can't write O'Brien off. If that was the case Burge would be long gone.

Cov kid 55

my two cents...

his performance yesterday, bar the kicking, was solid. Certainly as good as you'll find in this league. Came and commanded his box well, and gave defenders confidence. Caught pretty much impeccably, even under pressure. Made a couple of crucial saves in that last period of pressure, once coming out big & once diving sharply & clearing a point black range off the line... as I say, as good as you will find in this league bar the kicking

If he can do that every match & work on his kicking then he is well deserved of being number 1...

Right now onto the kicking. We know its his weak spot, he knows its his weak spot, and he is putting in decent performances aside from the kicking, so we have to get behind him. Any kind of added pressure from the crowd isn't going to help that side to his game at all, and his position is one that hinges so much on confidence
Good post, well said.

Otis

Your right-after 2 mistakes you can't write O'Brien off. If that was the case Burge would be long gone.
Not at all. Burge has been with us for some time. Had he only played 4 games for us and been good in 2 there is no way would completely write him off.

People have come to a conclusion on Burge based on quite a number of matches.

skyblue025

Not at all. Burge has been with us for some time. Had he only played 4 games for us and been good in 2 there is no way would completely write him off.

People have come to a conclusion on Burge based on quite a number of matches.

How can you say he has 2 good games when the opposition didn't muster a shot on goal in either game?

Otis

How can you say he has 2 good games when the opposition didn't muster a shot on goal in either game?
I didn't. I said 'had he.'

And if you are talking about 'O'Brien, he claimed every cross, commanded his area and looked assured.

Otis

Fair play if I interpreted your post wrong my apologies.
No worries.

I have not rated Burge for sure, but I said he would come in after the two clangers by O'Brien and I do think he played very well on Saturday.

More of the same of that and we will all be happy.

covcity4life

its nice to have 2 good keepers!

fair play to burge for stepping up
and dont right liam off,bar 2 mistakes he looked a very assured keeper

i am sure he will put in good performance sin checkatrade and be ready to step back in when needed

steve82

Got to give credit where it's due. He's claimed the position back well and made some unbelievable saves at times.

Adge

Yep, don't rate him still but at the minute is doing the business so fair play.

torchomatic

Fair play to Burge, I don't think he kicked the ball into touch once.

rob9872

Well done to Oggy, top coaching.

Users who are viewing this thread