Lincoln City beat Cov to signing (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Despite my comment above I have no problem with the CT, for the most part. Andy Turner is a fine reporter and has my sympathy with regards the conditions he has to work in with no access to the Club, lack of staffing (I remember the CT sports desk having five full-time members, not it seems to be just Andy plus whoever from the web team chips in now and then with galleries and click bait).

The whole click bait thing is a much wider issue. That is journalism in 2017, unfortunately. Local newspapers hijack nationwide stories (there was a recent one where a whole bunch of local papers ran the same story about a Drive Through Greggs opening in Manchester) and rinse them for every click that they can. And then there's the ads. I tried to read something on the Leicester Mercury's site yesterday. I had to click off two ads, one video which automatically started playing with sound and answer a survey just so I could get past the first paragraph!

Unfortunately, we are entering a realm where journalism is that kind of bullshit that we see on Twitter where a website makes an entire news story out of a single Tweet. There was one I saw yesterday where one of those sites 'reported' that a fan had tweeted a Bayern player about leaving them. The player tweeted back saying 'hahaha.' They made an entire story out of this with a headline something along the lines of 'A fan tweeted a Bayern player, you'll never guess his response.' I'm just about to leave the journalism profession because of shit like this. I hate it. Rant over.

Perfect example is the one today about the new striker tweeting this:

And a whole article about it trying to draw conclusions from just that, then there will be a "reaction" to him saying that.

Journalists are just being replaced with content writers who copy and paste stuff and change a couple of words just basically making crap up without giving a shit about the quality or no pride in it.

Another example is the "Could Ed Sheeran be coming to Coventry?" type stuff when there is nothing to indicate he actually was. So much of it is so misleading and not just CCFC stuff.

hill83

No, THIS shows how far we have fallen.

58bb13dcfa768384b5065ee7ce94843b.jpg

I'm really piste off with how far we've fallen.

AlansEyes

And a whole article about it trying to draw conclusions from just that, then there will be a "reaction" to him saying that.

Journalists are just being replaced with content writers who copy and paste stuff and change a couple of words just basically making crap up without giving a shit about the quality or no pride in it.

Another example is the "Could Ed Sheeran be coming to Coventry?" type stuff when there is nothing to indicate he actually was. So much of it is so misleading and not just CCFC stuff.

I absolutely hate it. The 'art' of finding information from old-fashioned journalism, using sources (although not those from SkyBlueRuffian) has been replaced by just see what you can find on Twitter. That's a nice message from Maxime, why not just retweet it rather than re-hash it into an entire story!

Today, people seem to thrive on the smallest pieces of information. Like the Ed Sheeran story you mention or the trend of bands/football teams/whoever making an announcement about an announcement, 'Come back on Monday when we'll have a special announcement.' When did that start?! Or forums spinning a foundless transfer rumour out in a 26 page thread...It seems the more knowledge we have at our finger tips the more eager we are to know every last little bit of information and treat it like it is something life-changing. Basically, the human race is just getting more and more stupid.

rob9872

Lincoln to Mansfield is only approx. 20 miles and if he lives somewhere in the middle I doubt he'd be on much either here or there, so a no brainer if the guy has a family.

oucho

This isn't a laughing matter, we could slide out of the football league

Shows what a mountainous challenge we're gonna have in recovering our former status....

Sorry, that was a terrible joke...chalet i get my coat?

smileycov

Facebook User
So he got offered...playing alongside his mate, matt rhead, a team on a high after championship, same league, up and coming manager, close to home and a club that has financial backing. Or Cov? Wow, it's a shock he chose the imps!!!

Skyblueweeman

So he got offered...playing alongside his mate, matt rhead, a team on a high after championship, same league, up and coming manager, close to home and a club that has financial backing. Or Cov? Wow, it's a shock he chose the imps!!!

Yeah, butttt, yeah but, but, yeah, but, we used to be a Premier League club, isn't it.

CCFC_Charlie

I love how whenever we miss out on a player to a lesser team our fans are so quick to jump on 'look how far we've fallen' bandwagon like there aren't a multitude of reasons one player would pick a certain player over another. Maybe he prefers one managers style of play? Maybe we didn't want to commit to the same level of wages as the other team because we don't think he's worth it? Maybe we aren't guaranteeing him a starting positon? Maybe he wants to play with players he played with before? But nah, with our fans it's always just an indictment of how bad things are, ffs get a grip

steve82

I love how whenever we miss out on a player to a lesser team our fans are so quick to jump on 'look how far we've fallen' bandwagon like there aren't a multitude of reasons one player would pick a certain player over another. Maybe he prefers one managers style of play? Maybe we didn't want to commit to the same level of wages as the other team because we don't think he's worth it? Maybe we aren't guaranteeing him a starting positon? Maybe he wants to play with players he played with before? But nah, with our fans it's always just an indictment of how bad things are, ffs get a grip

And geographical decisions come in too, these ain't highly paid stars who can easily uproot a family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DannyThomas_1981

CCFC Charlie. Points well taken. But as someone who tries to be level headed and not dramatic - any headline indicating that 'we have been beaten to a signature of a player by f...g Lincoln City' could really not be more representative of our fall from grace. I never imagined that in a lifetime I would ever read that headline. On saying that I live in hope; L2 title wrapped up by February lads and the new Mark Robins statue unveiled in 2021 as we storm back to the promised land!

Nick

Administrator
CCFC Charlie. Points well taken. But as someone who tries to be level headed and not dramatic - any headline indicating that 'we have been beaten to a signature of a player by f...g Lincoln City' could really not be more representative of our fall from grace. I never imagined that in a lifetime I would ever read that headline. On saying that I live in hope; L2 title wrapped up by February lads and the new Mark Robins statue unveiled in 2021 as we storm back to the promised land!
Looks like the headline worked then ;)

steve82

Misleading headline tho ain't it.... was not as if we was out bid. Wages don't seem to of been a factor but we don't no.
But maybe Matt Green decided for preferred footballing reasons and personal reasons with his family to go to Lincoln, therefore we wasn't beaten.
Amazing what a play with words can do and a opening sentence by the telegraph.

CCFC_Charlie

But equally, we could be beaten to the signature of a player by Leamington purely because we said he'd be an academy player and Leamington offered him a starting place and a pro contract, and that wouldn't necessarily be indicative of our own status. Sure, if Robins comes out and says 'ah shit lads, yeah this guy was a major target, we offered him the best deal possible and he chose Lincoln over us', then that's cause for concern. But an uncorroborated story in the local rag, who we all know has no ties to the club anymore and has a rep over the past years for favouring sensational journalism, nah.

Nick

Administrator
Misleading headline tho ain't it.... was not as if we was out bid. Wages don't seem to of been a factor but we don't no.
But maybe Matt Green decided for preferred footballing reasons and personal reasons with his family to go to Lincoln, therefore we wasn't beaten.
Amazing what a play with words can do and a opening sentence by the telegraph.

8 players going too ;)

steve82

8 players going too ;)

Yeah seen that article. Not quite true is it. Some I wish but seemed a quiet day in telegraph towers.

Surprised they was not interviewing lee marsh to see what CBR is doing and if there is interest from us or has he sent him up to Motherwell on a fine contract.

shmmeee

How much actual cash money have you spent of local journalism in the past, I dunno, five years?

I bet it's in the pence if anything at all. You can't pay proper investigative journalists on clickthrough rates alone. In the old days, the onus was on building a loyal subscriber base who would get the local paper delivered. Trust and reliability were key for building that long term relationship. Today, what matters is how many people open your webpage and nothing more. So you get shitty click bait headlines. And that applies to literally every single news website to some degree or another. Unless people suddenly start wanting to pay for good local journalism, this is the best we'll get. And unless people stop clicking on shitty misleading headlines, that won't change either.

Nick

Administrator
How much actual cash money have you spent of local journalism in the past, I dunno, five years?

I bet it's in the pence if anything at all. You can't pay proper investigative journalists on clickthrough rates alone. In the old days, the onus was on building a loyal subscriber base who would get the local paper delivered. Trust and reliability were key for building that long term relationship. Today, what matters is how many people open your webpage and nothing more. So you get shitty click bait headlines. And that applies to literally every single news website to some degree or another. Unless people suddenly start wanting to pay for good local journalism, this is the best we'll get. And unless people stop clicking on shitty misleading headlines, that won't change either.

I'd happily pay for decent journalism or subscribe.

Otis

No, THIS shows how far we have fallen.

Umm, actually, Alexa has just shown me how far we have fallen. Just got the weather and latest news, but then when I asked for sport it asked for my team and when I said 'Alexa, Coventry City Football Club' she replied with 'Sorry, I don't know that one.'

:jawdrop:

_brian_

Umm, actually, Alexa has just shown me how far we have fallen. Just got the weather and latest news, but then when I asked for sport it asked for my team and when I said 'Alexa, Coventry City Football Club' she replied with 'Sorry, I don't know that one.'

:jawdrop:

That's women for you, m8! LOL! Only joking! The last thing I want to get is a slap from a hairy feminist! Not that all feminists are hairy. Or that all hairy women are feminists. And I'm sure feminist women are all lovely really whether they're hairy or not! And I'm not saying that feminists are violent either. Although some might be. It was just a joke really!!!

Otis

That's women for you, m8! LOL! Only joking! The last thing I want to get is a slap from a hairy feminist! Not that all feminists are hairy. Or that all hairy women are feminists. And I'm sure feminist women are all lovely really whether they're hairy or not! And I'm not saying that feminists are violent either. Although some might be. It was just a joke really!!!
Funnily enough I went out with a hairy feminist. His name was also Brian.

Small world.

Users who are viewing this thread