Live in sticks... broadband options/help please! (1 Viewer)

shepardo01

Wondered if anybody can help...
Recently moved house into rural area (Rugby way)
Initially had sky installed and a basic summary of things is that we are too far away from exchange to get broadband through phone line. (They allowed us to come out of bb contract as fastest speed we could get down the line was 0.2 mbps!)
They said fibre might increase speed but would still be slow due to hitting cabinet at decent speed then slowing down in our (what bt described as poor) line.
Have been getting by on a Vodafone sim in a "mifi" router with a 50gb data limit.
Signal to this is a bit hit and miss and wifi signal strength not great, all of which is frustrating!
Does anybody know of any other (price friendly) options for internet!?
Thanks.....

chiefdave

Long shot but if there is Virgin that would be your best bet. If not your only option is probably satellite broadband which could be expensive.

shepardo01

Long shot but if there is Virgin that would be your best bet. If not your only option is probably satellite broadband which could be expensive.
Thanks Chief,
Does it not all come down the same line?
Don't think virgin is about ( although not entirely sure)
Have had a very brief look at satellite BB.... and yes, it's expensive!!
Cheers though....

chiefdave

Does it not all come down the same line?
That's your problem, everything apart from Virgin or satellite will come down the same BT infrastructure. Might be worth asking the locals to see if there's any recommended solution or subsidy.

Adge

I've had the same for years! I live in a hamlet between Stratford and Wellesbourne and internet and mobile signal is useless. Good news though is that they are rolling out super fast bb by the end of 2019. Only 18 months to go then.:mad:

Covstu

BT apparently has the strongest signal but that's just in their adverts so not sure it's true!

Adge

I've tried them all! Went to the car phone warehouse as they are supposed to be independent and told them where I lived. They typed in the postcode and laughed and just said pick anyone or the cheapest one as it doesn't matter as there is minimal signal for every provider. Best I've had is EE which is what I have now, but again not great and very hit and miss.

duffer

It's crap isn't it.

On the upside, if you can get yourself a 25-mile long one of these, you're welcome to plug into my router (oo-err missus!) ;)

images

Reactions: vow

Users who are viewing this thread