London clubs (1 Viewer)

hamertime

It’s never occurred to me that more than 1/3 of premier league clubs are in London. London has 15% of Englands population. It won’t be long before half the league is in London as it’s where the foreign wealth likes to be. Not great for English football is it. Midlands clubs have been terrible for years.

jimmyhillsfanclub

English football has always been dominated by the north-west.
...more specifically, the historic county of Lancashire.

rob9872

Used to be loads of Midlands sides when I was growing up.

Some of the bias now could be overseas players either want the NW successful teams or if it's just money then easy flight links home from Heathrow or Gatwick.

clint van damme

Used to be loads of Midlands sides when I was growing up.

Some of the bias now could be overseas players either want the NW successful teams or if it's just money then easy flight links home from Heathrow or Gatwick.

I can remember times when there were 5,6 even 7 Midlands clubs

Brighton Sky Blue

Aside from Chelsea and Arsenal no London club has won the title since Spurs in 1961. More clubs perhaps but the dominance remains firmly in the NW

SBT

Industrial towns have typically had bigger fan bases and more investment, but that has changed as the sport has gone more global. London teams have gone from being poorly supported to having some of the biggest stadiums in the country. The impact of the Olympics and the NFL in London has also given a few clubs a financial boost.

Brighton Sky Blue

Industrial towns have typically had bigger fan bases and more investment, but that has changed as the sport has gone more global. London teams have gone from being poorly supported to having some of the biggest stadiums in the country. The impact of the Olympics and the NFL in London has also given a few clubs a financial boost.
It is interesting on that note that the Saudis plumped for Newcastle rather than someone like West Ham

SBT

It is interesting on that note that the Saudis plumped for Newcastle rather than someone like West Ham
Yeah it’s a good question. I don’t know if it was a factor, but the political controversy over letting the Saudis buy a PL team would have only been greater if they got a giant stadium that was mostly paid for by the British taxpayer as part of the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread