Lose the Gut Thread (Following on from New Year's Resolution)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Nick, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Nick

Nick Administrator

Anybody else going to be trying to cut down a bit? Thought a thread might help.

Need to probably lose a stone and get a bit fitter :(

The soup maker is already out, protein drinks for breakfast and mainly fish / chicken and rice / wholegrain pasta.

skybluedan likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

Lost 6 stone last year. Could do with knocking another stone or so off, I'm not too bothered about what I weigh, I just want to get to a weight I feel comfortable at. I would like to put on more muscle though and just generally tone up a bit.

3. Nick

Nick Administrator

Done well there!

Know what you mean about weight and being comfortable, I can probably get away with the same weight but a stone wouldn't be too bad.

4. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

Go for it Nick, I feel great, food taste so much better too, especially that weekly cheat meal. The problem I have now is that clothes don't fit me at all, I'm too big for a medium and too small for a large.

If you need any advice on eating right, then I'm more then willing to help, I just run and cycle for exercise. started off barely doing about 200 meters, now I can hit 5 miles like it's nothing, although I've injured my back so haven't been out for a while.

5. Nick

Nick Administrator

Cheers.

I am alright with it, it's just sticking to it. It's mainly the gym routine as it's harder to find time now :(

6. Sky_Blue_Daz

Sky_Blue_Daz Well-Known Member

Fantastic effort mate

In soing bootcamp classes and running not got an exact amount of weight I want to lose
    Just noticed some of my shirts have got a bit snug when they never used to be
    So ideally I'm going to improve my
    Fitness and trim up a bit

Marty likes this.
  7. rob9872

rob9872 Well-Known Member

Lost 4 stone put 6 back on. Just got a stand up punchbag for Christmas though and ordered my man-cave to house it yesterday. Not donned any boxing gloves since I was about 11 and now 44 so will take a while but more likely to stick at something I enjoy than the swimming I tried to get into but found boring.

Got a nice dartboard set to put in there too so if I do fail I can at least enjoy using that and hold some poker nights :)

Astute, Sick Boy, ccfctommy and 2 others like this.
  8. Covstu

Covstu Well-Known Member

Just had a great curry.... maybe tomorrow

Sick Boy, Houchens Head and duffer like this.
  9. Sky Blue Pete

Sky Blue Pete Well-Known Member

Really got into swimming as arthritis has forced my running to be infrequent. Pretty annoying as my lad really enjoying running.

Swam 12 miles this last month - completely changing my shape but will have to stop eating to lose any weight

10. Nick

Nick Administrator

I don't mind swimming but I tend to get bored :( Had days where I could do 45 minutes without stopping but others I'd do 5 minutes and get fed up.

Installed this App - Personal Trainer - FitStar - Inspiring people to live healthier lives

Tried a couple of the workouts and even though it's just bodyweight it does beast you! Just make sure the blinds are closed!

11. Monners

Monners Well-Known Member

Cycling for me now as knee op and arthritis in the same knee has knocked the running on the head (damn those sliding tackles). Same as Nick, want to lose a stone.

12. chiefdave

chiefdave Well-Known Member

Great effort. What did you start off doing.

I seem to always make the same mistake, don't make my plans realistic. Start off well for a few weeks and then it all falls apart.

13. Nick

Nick Administrator

Yeah that's the thing. I used to always do that in the gym on the cross trainer and would be dying after about a minute, then started off slow and working up helped rather than just all guns blazing!

14. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

Just started walking and eating cleaner, nothing drastic to start with, then just went from there and built it up over time. Goals wise I kept it realistic, started with a target of 2 stone, and just done it in 2 stone increments. Really felt like I was making progress, I think if I went for 6 stone to start with I don't think I would have done it.

Food wise, don't go too strict with yourself. If you fancy a chocolate bar, have one. It's simple changes that add up. I don't eat beef burgers any more, I use an aubergine, slice it so it's about beef burger size, grill it with a slice of onion add lettuce in a bun, tastes great, fills you up and just knocked about 300 calories of a meal by just changing one thing.

Monners and chiefdave like this.
  15. Johnnythespider

Johnnythespider Well-Known Member

Your shirts might have shrunk in the wash, that's my excuse anyway

16. Sky_Blue_Daz

I was going to give the cabbage soup diet a go. I did it for a fortnight a few years ago and lost over a stone.

17. skybluedan

skybluedan Well-Known Member

Yeah I lost over 3 stone and am 32 waist again, pure tone for me this year and six pack instead of a keg

18. skybluedan

Bet your arse was stinking though mate

19. Nick

Nick Administrator

I remember being a 32 waist, I reckon I was just about to do my GCSEs

NorthernWisdom and skybluedan like this.
  20. Nick

Nick Administrator

Was that just purely eating soup?

I made some sweet potato soup last night, sweet potato, onion, bit of chilli for a kick and chuck it in the soup maker.

skybluedan likes this.
  21. skybluedan

Was it ok? Sounds nice

22. Nick

Nick Administrator

Yeah pretty nice, filled me up for a bowl of soup anyway and had a bit of a kick to it so it wasn't plain.

23. skybluedan

Yeah I would need the kick as well

24. torchomatic

torchomatic Well-Known Member

I've lost a couple of stone since October but to be honest i wouldn't recommend my diet plan.

25. Sky_Blue_Daz

No mate I can't remember the full details but
    You had to have a at least one bowl of the cabbage soup a day, unlimited unsweetened tea/coffee or water, you could also have veg, brown rice and on 2 days a week you could have steak
    There's a plan online

Apparently they used to use the diet on oeople who were considered too over weight for surgery

I stuck it for 2 weeks but never exercised whilst I was on it , so was going to give it another go for a fortnight whilst getting back into running

But the wife reckons her slimming world meals are better

26. Nick

Nick Administrator

Doesn't sound too bad, might have a look but change it for sweet potato soup.

Might take some to the football, but just waiting for the sudden urge for the toilet to hit!

skybluedan likes this.
  27. Sky_Blue_Daz

Did I ever mention the butter nut squash story in here?

28. Johnnythespider

Johnnythespider Well-Known Member

Is that when you smeared your nuts with butter so that you could squash them into your budgie smugglers

29. NorthernWisdom

NorthernWisdom Well-Known Member

Lost three stone majoring on soup and cereal.

Then I remembered I preferred the taste of chips and kebabs[​IMG]

Captain Dart likes this.
  30. Sky_Blue_Daz

Ah yes I have told the story

31. eastwoodsdustman

eastwoodsdustman Well-Known Member

Need to lose 2.5 stone that I put on over the last year or so. I got Lymes disease (i think) 18 months ago and haven't been able to do any real excercise since. Starting to feel a bit better and will be out on the bike tomorrow to start things off for the year.

32. Gazolba

Gazolba Well-Known Member

Eat less and exercise more - it's that simple (to say that is, not to do).
    I started by cutting down on sugar. I take none in tea now. And I used to put it on cereal but cut that out. Unfortunately, I still crave biscuits and cakes. I stopped eating red meat years ago, now I just have chicken but less and less of that as I have pretty much gone vegetarian. I eat a lot of pasta, rice and Indian dishes. That's because my daughter is vegetarian and I prepare meals for both of us. For exercising I mostly walk, but I need to do a lot more.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  33. andrew.roberts

andrew.roberts Member

I tried the cabbage soup diet a couple of times and you do lose weight (and friends), but the weight lost will go straight back on again unless you are very careful afterwards. Another crash diet /detox is the maple syrup one but like the cabbage soup and all other crash diets, it´s what you do when you´ve finished the diet to maintain those lost pounds is what really counts.

What Gazolba says about eating less - or more moderately- and exercising more, really is the best plan but it´s obviously not a quick fix, it takes time, patience and dedication but the results will come. I´ve had four serious operations on the same hip and the only form of exercise which doesn´t cause impact to the joint is swimming, and although it´s as boring as fcuk, I try to go three times a week if I can. I bought some of those Sony mp3 headphones for swimming from Curry´s last time I was back in Coventry and they help, as does a fit bird in the next lane.

I eat a lot of home made vegetable soups in the winter generally with a base of onion, shallot, carrot and a potato, and then throw in whatever other veg. is to hand, cauliflower, parsnips, courgettes, leeks etc. If you add a few chilli flakes, a little fresh ginger and garlic or even some decent curry powder you can get some pretty good and tasty results. I use a lot of sage because it gives soup a great edge. If you tie a few sprigs in a clean muslim cloth, or a piece of old t-shirt and leave it in during the cooking process and remove it afterwards, it imparts a great flavour. You can use this method with any fresh or even dried herbs. Don´t be afraid to experiment. Use chicken or beef stock (or cubes) instead of just water if you want a meatier flavour and then blitz the whole caboodle, or easier still get the missus to do it.

Good luck everyone who´s about to embark, be patient, the results will come.

34. eastwoodsdustman

eastwoodsdustman Well-Known Member

Got in 17 miles on my bike today. Less than half of what I was doing but feel really good for it tonight and it was fucking freezing and windy. Building up to 20 then 25 over the next week or two and watch the pounds fall off (hopefully).

35. ccfctommy

ccfctommy Well-Known Member

What do you do for protein if you eat no meat?