Lost pubs of Coventry (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
What was the name of the big pub that's next door to where the Binley Mega Chippy is now? I think it's now a Toby Carvery? But what was it called many years ago (about the same time as Binley Park School was still around?) My mind has gone blank!

wingy

What was the name of the big pub that's next door to where the Binley Mega Chippy is now? I think it's now a Toby Carvery? But what was it called many years ago (about the same time as Binley Park School was still around?) My mind has gone blank!

Was'nt that also a Craven Arms HH?:confused:

Houchens Head

That was it Wingy!!! I knew it shared it's name with a few others in Cov! One more for ya then........ what was the name of the pub directly opposite Lyng Hall school in Blackberry Lane? I'm sure it was something like the Kings Head?

wingy

That was it Wingy!!! I knew it shared it's name with a few others in Cov! One more for ya then........ what was the name of the pub directly opposite Lyng Hall school in Blackberry Lane? I'm sure it was something like the Kings Head?
Not so sure on that one ,but currently i think its known as "Kings Club or The King Edward Club" so you could be on it there.

Houchens Head

That's the one Deano. It was the Kings Head.

Real

I take no credit for these pictures, they are from a page on Facebook called Memories of Coventry.

The Ivy Cottage, Hillfields.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359195166.878594.jpg

The Caludon, Wyken.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359195198.981678.jpg

The Cup, Gosford Street.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359195225.348660.jpg

The Hand & Heart, Gosford Street.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359195249.432652.jpg

The Peacock, Gosford Street.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359195292.600752.jpg

Real

Hope & Anchor, Hillfields.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359195406.266951.jpg

The Wyken Pippin, Wyken.
eqasetyv.jpg

The Courthouse, Stoke Heath.
zymy9yze.jpg

Busters, Town Centre.
nu7e8u9e.jpg

The White Lion, (now Sky Blue Way).
apu8ysuh.jpg

Last edited:

Real

I appreciate not all the pubs have gone, but I thought you might find how they used to be interesting?

The Stag, Town Centre.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359211494.550321.jpg

The Three Horseshoes, Stoney Stanton Road.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359211541.250871.jpg

Disorganised1

Loving the picture of the Pippin - real 70's stuff.

RegTheDonk

Anyone remember the Jules Verne in Grayswood Ave? Think it's the Three Spires again now. I worked in the JV for about 2 years as assistant manager. I remember the themed bars - The Balloon Bar and The Western Bar spring to mind. The main bar was the India Bar (or something like that).

Remember it very well Houch - used to live there! My parents ran it for about 18 months until they split up, early/mid 70's before it got got torched and changed to the 3 Spires. Must have been between 73' and 75' as I recall being shit scared when the pub bombings were going on, plus having a ventriloquist doll in a tartan cap and kilt which my dad put on the bar when the World Cup was on.

But yes, it was a real fun pub with its themed bars. I used to love playing in the Last Chance, which as you know was supposed to be a yank frontier street front, climbing onto the balcony where the two "dummies" sat in chairs .... or having shootouts with the Winchester Rifels and Colt 45 replicas that were in the "gunsmiths" shop window. My more vivid memories were the JVDCMAS - "Jules Verne Drinking Club and Music Appreciation Society", which basically was a Monday night excuse the locals to have a good piss up, accompanied by a guitarist (Ron Grace??) and a drummer to belt out a few numbers, always ending with "House of the Rising Sun". Or the front bar (the Pukka Sharib I think?) full of off duty CID having lock ins.

Got burgled one night, police believe the robbers hid in/above the "railway carriages" in the Balloon & Basket bar then did the fruit machines before legging it through the fire exits.

BTW, I do recall our assistant manager who was there for about 12 months of our stay. Daft as it sound I remember his wife's name (Cathy) but can't remember his. He was Scottish and left, I don't know the reason as I was only a kid, but I do remember my dad (Dave) saying xxxxx is leaving and I cried my eyes out, he was a real good bloke and always had time for me.

Last edited:

Porkchophill

It was the Binley Hotel,the Winall was in willenhall centre

I remember sitting in the Binley hotel 1 day when we heard a massive crash we ran in the other room and 1 of the old fashioned big back wooden TVs which was high up on a shelf had collapsed and fell on some poor chaps head he was carted off in an ambulance that weren't the worse of it for him good old fashioned pub humour kicked in every time he came in the pub we'd say there's that bloke from the telly

Como

I know it is not a pub but do you have a photo of Fishy Moores, a Saturday lunchtime treat, table for 2, table for 4 ...

Como

We used to get the Number 2 in that went around Broadgate and dropped off by Owen Owen.

Starting from outside Owen Owen, cross Trinity Street, down the lane that goes towards Poole Meadow. I think there was a Jewelers at the top? About 2/3rds down on the right side. Seem to remember a shop, Exchange and Mart nearby? I can not remember what else was down there. Or the name of the lane.

Always a long queue to get it.

Houchens Head

We used to get the Number 2 in that went around Broadgate and dropped off by Owen Owen.

Starting from outside Owen Owen, cross Trinity Street, down the lane that goes towards Poole Meadow. I think there was a Jewelers at the top? About 2/3rds down on the right side. Seem to remember a shop, Exchange and Mart nearby? I can not remember what else was down there. Or the name of the lane.

Always a long queue to get it.

That "back street" is called 'New Buildings', Como. It contained (at the very top) H Samuel Jewellers, Exchange & Mart, Coventry News, The Alhambra pub. Then it joined Fairfax St (at the back of the DeVere Hotel)

Houchens Head

Remember it very well Houch - used to live there! My parents ran it for about 18 months until they split up, early/mid 70's before it got got torched and changed to the 3 Spires. Must have been between 73' and 75' as I recall being shit scared when the pub bombings were going on, plus having a ventriloquist doll in a tartan cap and kilt which my dad put on the bar when the World Cup was on.

But yes, it was a real fun pub with its themed bars. I used to love playing in the Last Chance, which as you know was supposed to be a yank frontier street front, climbing onto the balcony where the two "dummies" sat in chairs .... or having shootouts with the Winchester Rifels and Colt 45 replicas that were in the "gunsmiths" shop window. My more vivid memories were the JVDCMAS - "Jules Verne Drinking Club and Music Appreciation Society", which basically was a Monday night excuse the locals to have a good piss up, accompanied by a guitarist (Ron Grace??) and a drummer to belt out a few numbers, always ending with "House of the Rising Sun". Or the front bar (the Pukka Sharib I think?) full of off duty CID having lock ins.

Got burgled one night, police believe the robbers hid in/above the "railway carriages" in the Balloon & Basket bar then did the fruit machines before legging it through the fire exits.

BTW, I do recall our assistant manager who was there for about 12 months of our stay. Daft as it sound I remember his wife's name (Cathy) but can't remember his. He was Scottish and left, I don't know the reason as I was only a kid, but I do remember my dad (Dave) saying xxxxx is leaving and I cried my eyes out, he was a real good bloke and always had time for me.

When I worked there (as assistant manager), the manager was a guy called Trevor Carter. This would be around 1972 - 73.

turlykerd

That "back street" is called 'New Buildings', Como. It contained (at the very top) H Samuel Jewellers, Exchange & Mart, Coventry News, The Alhambra pub. Then it joined Fairfax St (at the back of the DeVere Hotel)

fuckin hell, silvers :).... threw up many a pernod and black behind there, back in the day ... is it still there ??

Como

Thanks, that is it. Was it where Coventry News is?

Funny how the memory plays tricks. I thought it was a lot narrower. I guess this photo was from a lot later judging by the car number plate and double yellow lines, and of course Pool Meadow is covered in concrete.

The queue would be on the right hand side going down.

dutchman

It was further down and to the left behind where Sainsbury's is now:
5Fej8LH.jpg

The buildings in the foreground are at the bottom of Trinity Street and have since been demolished. Sainsbury's had not yet been built when this picture was taken (1949).

Last edited:

Como

1383635_444669338988146_1059866581_n.jpg

With a bit of searching I found a picture, but I am even more confused. The single story is familiar, but I thought it was more built up.

I am sure we went there well into the mid 60's, I was 4 in August 1960, we would walk to Highfield Road or catch a bus..

RegTheDonk

When I worked there (as assistant manager), the manager was a guy called Trevor Carter. This would be around 1972 - 73.

Must have been just before us then Houch cause of the 74 world cup. I was about 11 so didn't really get to know any of the staff. Fun place though as the only theme pub I can think of.

Houchens Head

Must have been just before us then Houch cause of the 74 world cup. I was about 11 so didn't really get to know any of the staff. Fun place though as the only theme pub I can think of.

We used to get a lot of bikers in there. Great fun shouting "Finish your dinks lads!" at 10.45pm!

Houchens Head

Quick question: I'm sure there was a pub in Cov called the Red Horse or the Old Red Horse. Can anyone shed any light or am I thinking of somwhere else? (Not the Red House by the way!)

Real

Quick question: I'm sure there was a pub in Cov called the Red Horse or the Old Red Horse. Can anyone shed any light or am I thinking of somwhere else? (Not the Red House by the way!)

Isn't the pub by the Barras Chippy called the Red Horse?

Gazolba

There's a website that lists them all with photos. There are also lists and photos on Youtube. No point in repeating it all here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread