Louis Theroux - Saville (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
On tonight on BBC, was reading in the week he feels bad that he couldn't do more back in the day to uncover him and was a bit gullible. I like his documentaries so it might be a bit of a weird watch.

bringbackrattles

I remember watching the original programme. Some of the things Saville was saying should have alerted the powers to be on his mindset ,but nothing happened as we know now. Louis is a likeable bloke but not a hard hitting investigative journalist. Remember Cook from years ago ? He went in and ruffled feathers and had death threats as he was fearless.

Nick

Administrator
I haven't seen the original one, I might have a look to watch it first.

I think it is on netflix.

I remember Cook, wasn't he the one just walking into buildings and surprising them and asking them questions?

bringbackrattles

I haven't seen the original one, I might have a look to watch it first.

I think it is on netflix.

I remember Cook, wasn't he the one just walking into buildings and surprising them and asking them questions?
Yes Roger Cook. The Cook report was top television in the day, he had some bottle ! Confronted Mafia types and IRA godfathers. He chased after them and got whacked lots of times but never gave up. I think he mentioned Saville years before his noncing became common knowledge. He was the best and went after people who thought they were untouchable.

Pipehitterz

Love Louis Theroux. Seen everything he's done.
You're right Netflix has all his doc on at the Moment.
His Scientology film is out soon too, looks hilarious

Captain Dart

Love Louis Theroux. Seen everything he's done.
You're right Netflix has all his doc on at the Moment.
His Scientology film is out soon too, looks hilarious
Does it star Tom Cruise & John Travolta?

Sky_Blue_Daz

I really like him, the one he did recently about people with drink problems was brilliant

I watched his ones with the phelps family in America, his one with the wrestlers was pretty funny too

Nick

Administrator
That was frightening.

The nazi subcultures in the US is the other one that sticks in my head.
wasn't that the one where they were asking if he was a Jew and he was saying what if he was etc

I'm not sure if he thinks before he speaks sometimes, some of the stuff he says

Sky_Blue_Daz

I vaguely remember a max Clifford one, have had a look online but can't find it

Nick

Administrator
Just looked through all of them on Netflix, there are more than I remembered.

That one where he lived in the.brothel for a while ha

Gazolba

Many people knew what he was doing but said nothing or if they did say something were not believed. The BBC alone missed FIVE opportunities to stop him.
What was needed was for someone to find him at night and put a bullet in his head.

I remember watching the original documentary at 16 years old. I thought that Louis hadn't found what he was looking for and left the programme knowing he was weird. What I didn't realise was that Louis had been duped into not digging any deeper and there was nothing sinister to investigate.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I wrote to saville back in the day asking if he could fix it for me to be in musical youth
Otis I'll let you do the punchline !

rob9872

I was extraordinarily lucky, I wrote and asked if he could fix it for me to go on its a knockout!

Sky_Blue_Daz

He was well connected though
The Royals
Maggie
Tony Blair
And the pope

Evil, horrible man

Sky_Blue_Daz

The footage in the pizza restaurant was horrible

bringbackrattles

In a book about wrestling and how big it was with it on every Saturday afternoon, Jimmy Saville was mentioned. This was written before the stories about him came out,as he was a wrestler and it said he loved to get beat up and took no end of beatings,but always came back for more. Bet if they'd known he was a nonce case he'd have got killed in the ring !

NorthernWisdom

What does always bother me with things like this is... it reinforces the stereotype of the oddball being, well... dangerous. Means the 'normal' offender gets a free pass, as it were.

I worked with someone once who was... strange. Hindsight's easy to say there too, but he ended up convicted for the odd crime that, well.. beyond my knowledge how or why you get to that position really. And hindsight's a wonderful thing, it was so obvious with him after the event, that the oddness wasn't just harmless eccentricity, but something far far more sinister.

But of course none of us picked him.

Much as nobody really picked Savile, whatever they say after the event... because it's so obvious, isn't it?

Once you know.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread