Lump it long merchants? (1 Viewer)

richnrg

Just read Andy Turners 'Opinion' piece on telegraph website:

Opinion: Coventry City score spectacular own goal as miss chance to reward fans
Among other things he states:
"The facts are that City are going down a division where the football will be dreadful, guaranteed, in what is an entertainment industry.
They’ll be coming up against largely lump-it-long merchants who kick and bully their way through the campaign. A Mark Robins team might try to play their way out but their opponents will do everything in their power to stop them in their tracks with strong-arm tactics from what former manager Steven Pressley would call the dark ages"

I think Andy may be in for a surprise. Things have moved on a bit in the last 10 years or so. The majority of division 4 teams that I've seen recently actually attempt to play decent football.

NortonSkyBlue

I have never gone to see the opposition even when we were a top league side. My interest is in Coventry City and I am hoping that we will be equipped to cope with league 2.
Russell Slade anyone?

bawtryneal

I have never gone to see the opposition even when we were a top league side. My interest is in Coventry City and I am hoping that we will be equipped to cope with league 2.
Russell Slade anyone?

Will be very interesting to see how Grimsby perform next season and compare to ourselves.
Also, I can guess who has the larger turnover and it isn`t Grimsby !!!

SkyBlue_Bear83

I think Andy may be in for a surprise. Things have moved on a bit in the last 10 years or so. The majority of division 4 teams that I've seen recently actually attempt to play decent football.

Yes but saying that doesn't fit in with the negative connotations in the rest of the article and general agenda.

xcraigx

Didn't Cambridge play just a little bit of football when they put 4 past us a few months back? Quite patronising to assume it's all kick and rush type stuff.

lifeskyblue

After the lack of system and tactics we employed under Slade we can hardly criticise anyone's style of play. The long ball can be very effective and a useful way to play against certain teams. We tried it at times without having anyone who could win it in the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread