Luton Town (1 Viewer)

RoboCCFC90

Luton Town have become the first English club to give supporters the legal right to veto any future change to the club's image.

The Hatters' supporters' group Trust in Luton will be given the final say over amendments to the club's name, nickname, kit colours, crest or mascot.

Hull City fans are currently fighting a proposed name change by their owner.

And Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan changed the Welsh side's kit from blue to red in 2012.

Luton themselves faced being re-named London Luton under former owner John Gurney 11 years ago.

The move by Luton 2020, the consortium that owns the Hatters, would prevent such changes occurring at Kenilworth Road without the permission of Trust in Luton, the group who hold shares in the club on behalf of fans.

"There is one caveat. The Trust must get stronger," said Luton managing director Gary Sweet.

"Because we can't have so few members voting on these things.

"We're also going to establish a share scheme for the club via the Trust. So the Trust can buy more shares in the club at some point in the future."

I really hope more Football Club's follow suit, but I find myself envious of Luton Town and Clubs like Pompey, Exeter City and the like, Club's that are fan owned, yes it means you might not have a wealth of success but at least the Club will remain a fabric of the community and of the City/Town of which it bares it's name.

NortonSkyBlue

Luton and Pompey, like us have had to reach depths unknown previously and I hope for both their clubs they have bottomed out and are on the way back. Without reaching their nadir they would not be in fans hands.

CCFC, I suspect still have a way to go before we reach rock bottom. Once reached maybe the model you favour will be possible, sadly a long way to go before that happens to us but it will happen with or without a return to Coventry as we are saddled with so much debt and indifference.

RoboCCFC90

Luton and Pompey, like us have had to reach depths unknown previously and I hope for both their clubs they have bottomed out and are on the way back. Without reaching their nadir they would not be in fans hands.

CCFC, I suspect still have a way to go before we reach rock bottom. Once reached maybe the model you favour will be possible, sadly a long way to go before that happens to us but it will happen with or without a return to Coventry as we are saddled with so much debt and indifference.

Like Portsmouth and Luton fans we have to stick together, the unity of the fans must be the most important aspect.

NortonSkyBlue

Not a chance of unity i am afraid until reality hits us all between the eyes and we see the truth in front of us-lingering death....too divided on all issues

jimmyhillsfanclub

I've never met a decent Luton fan yet...OK, I've probably only met about 10 to actually chat to in my life.....but they were all grade A twats.

Pompey fans on the other hand are, by & large, a decent & knowledgeable sort.....(forget the few 657 dickheads who kicked off on our disabled supporters)

Only met 1 Exeter fan....and he was a 2nd hand fan...a nomadic Geordie who was happy that his St. James Park Tattoo was still relevant.....

chiefdave

Like Portsmouth and Luton fans we have to stick together, the unity of the fans must be the most important aspect.

I think what happens is because we are so focused on our club we think we are more divided than we are. Believe me Pompey fans were at each other way more than our fans are (and they are still very much divided on fan ownership) but to the football world outside of Portsmouth they appear very united. The same can probably be said of us. Those who aren't local and don't follow the club will see things like the low attendance at Sixfields, the march, protest at Arsenal and view us as a united fan base against the owners actions.

RoboCCFC90

I think what happens is because we are so focused on our club we think we are more divided than we are. Believe me Pompey fans were at each other way more than our fans are (and they are still very much divided on fan ownership) but to the football world outside of Portsmouth they appear very united. The same can probably be said of us. Those who aren't local and don't follow the club will see things like the low attendance at Sixfields, the march, protest at Arsenal and view us as a united fan base against the owners actions.

I suppose you can only see certain aspects, my brother is a Pompey fan and I think most were united at that time, of course with any aspect in life you do get the minority who object.

RoboCCFC90

I've never met a decent Luton fan yet...OK, I've probably only met about 10 to actually chat to in my life.....but they were all grade A twats.

Pompey fans on the other hand are, by & large, a decent & knowledgeable sort.....(forget the few 657 dickheads who kicked off on our disabled supporters)

Only met 1 Exeter fan....and he was a 2nd hand fan...a nomadic Geordie who was happy that his St. James Park Tattoo was still relevant.....

I was at Highfield Road that day, couldn't believe what I saw.

Covstu

I think fan owned models are good in theory but limiting in todays football setup, you will never see a Man Utd, Man City fan owned model unless the owner is rich enough (and a fan of that club). It would be good that fans have a say/representation on the board at every club to ensure there is a fan representation however. This would ensure we get a fair say, know what is going on but also importantly understand why the club is in the position it is.
If this happened with us, maybe the fans would at least understand the decisions that were made from the getgo rather than be fed snippets of false information.

Users who are viewing this thread