Managers Need time To Build ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

I agree that Pressley had to go but I'm a hypocrite as well as I'm forever telling other fans that managers need time.But with the average time given these days say set at around eighteen months it's no wonder so many get the sack as chairmen and fans want instant success.But look at our own Jimmy Hill it took him a few years before his revolution got going,and then there was the great Bill Shankly at Liverpool he won nothing for five years but when he won his first title he went on to build a dynasty at Anfield.And of course Alex Ferguson was famously one game away from the boot but they won and the rest is history.
So we will never know if Pressley could have eventually got things right will we ?

SkyBlue_Bear83

The problem with Pressley is that we were going backwards, partly that can be blamed on loss of players but we've actually been going backwards from the beginning of this season when we got off to a decent start. He had almost 2 years in the job, its not like he had 6-8 months, 100 games isn't enough to turn it around and be successful but it IS enough to tell if we are heading in the right direction towards our goals which we weren't.

I think most of us would have accepted an uneventful season where we finish 10-17th see a mix of good and poor performance and then push on next year. Pressley was in serious danger of taking us down, if I could see any signs of progress, that we were about to turn a corner or that we were heading in the right direction there could have been a good case of keeping him on.

Look at Mick Mccarthy at Ipswich and Cooper at Swindon, thats a proper example of how you build something.

bringbackrattles

The problem with Pressley is that we were going backwards, partly that can be blamed on loss of players but we've actually been going backwards from the beginning of this season when we got off to a decent start. He had almost 2 years in the job, its not like he had 6-8 months, 100 games isn't enough to turn it around and be successful but it IS enough to tell if we are heading in the right direction towards our goals which we weren't.

I think most of us would have accepted an uneventful season where we finish 10-17th see a mix of good and poor performance and then push on next year. Pressley was in serious danger of taking us down, if I could see any signs of progress, that we were about to turn a corner or that we were heading in the right direction there could have been a good case of keeping him on.

Look at Mick Mccarthy at Ipswich and Cooper at Swindon, thats a proper example of how you build something.
It shows you can build a successful squad together in a short space of time but to carry it on to even bigger things I do think it can take years.But I agree it looked like we were heading backwards under Pressley so looking at it in another way,if some managers are given time it can have the opposite effect !

RFC

I agree that Pressley had to go but I'm a hypocrite as well as I'm forever telling other fans that managers need time.But with the average time given these days say set at around eighteen months it's no wonder so many get the sack as chairmen and fans want instant success.But look at our own Jimmy Hill it took him a few years before his revolution got going,and then there was the great Bill Shankly at Liverpool he won nothing for five years but when he won his first title he went on to build a dynasty at Anfield.And of course Alex Ferguson was famously one game away from the boot but they won and the rest is history.
So we will never know if Pressley could have eventually got things right will we ?

And most of ours get around a 100 games or less than a couple of years!!!!!!!!!!

martcov

And most of ours get around a 100 games or less than a couple of years!!!!!!!!!!

100 games is enough to show strengths and weaknesses. Pity it wasn't working for SP. The only valuable asset that SISU still own is the golden share. To risk Relegation and have the possiblity of a Second Relegation next year was probably too much Risk for SISU. Without a League Club they own nothing.

bringbackrattles

I hope our next manager gets at least the same amount as time Pressley had.But unless he gets the finances he needs and can keep his best players we may be back to square one again.The main objective is for him to keep us in this division,as relegation would see him jumping ship I reckon.

Users who are viewing this thread