Matchday #40; Derby vs City; Pride Park, Kick off @ 3pm (1 Viewer)

The CableGuy

After weeks of doom, and gloom, and rumours of Admin galore, the tide of fortune has turned for the Sky Blues in the last week:

1. We won! 2-0, could have been more. Kept a clean sheet, passed the ball around with confidence and finally made the Football League show worth watching.
  2. Sheff Utd lost, meaning that City remained 10 points clear of the drop-zone.
  3. Preston lost, meaning that City remained 10 points clear of the drop-zone.
  4. Did I mention we won? Deserved it as well!
But, there's still games to play and plenty of work to be done before City can turn yet another topsy-turvy season (and that's just on the pitch!) into a respectable mid-table finish, escaping the jaws of League 1 in the process. Who knows, the glory of 14th place could yet be ours!

That work begins at Pride Park, and Derby, who aren't having a great season themselves. The Rams are 2 places and 1 point below City, having let in 1 more goal.

City can almost ram themselves to safety with 3 points on Saturday, to go along with the 3 collected at CV6 when these sides meet eariler this season, when, you know, we were sniffing around the play-offs and the land of Milk and Premiership Honey was actually a hopeful possibility.

So, lets do it, City, and make the Football League show worth watching for the 2nd week running!

PUSB!

Coventry La La La

3-1 City ( Keogh, Lukas Jutkiewicz, M.King )

Westwood
Clarke, Keogh, Cranie, Hussey
Clingan
Gunnarsson Bell
McSheffrey
Jutkiewicz King​

PUSB

Last edited:

TheRoyalScam

3-1 City ( Keogh, Lukas Jutkiewicz, M.King )

Westwood
Clingan
Gunnarsson Bell
McSheffrey
Jutkiewicz King​

PUSB

I see you've got Bell and McSheffrey in the right positions!;):D That would be my formation too - McSheffrey v Savage should be interesting.....

Derby 1 [Keogh og]
CCFC 2 [Jutkiewicz, King]

ccfc luke

I dont think this will be as an easy game as you all think, it is a bigger game for derby than it is for us which makes it automatically more difficult.

Id take a draw but obviously a win would be very welcome!

TheRoyalScam

I dont think this will be as an easy game as you all think, it is a bigger game for derby than it is for us which makes it automatically more difficult.

Id take a draw but obviously a win would be very welcome!

You are the voice of reason - however my CCFC heart is ruling my head and I'm confident we can win!

PUSB:blue:

smileycov

Facebook User
Westwood
Clingan
Gunnarsson Bell
McSheffrey
Jutkiewicz King​
I am going for a 2 - 1 away win, King and the Duke !!

PUSB

Jimthor

McSheffrey and King are apparently doubtful for the game, suffering from a flu-like bug. My first choice 11 would be the same as everyone else's here, but without them i guess we'd play Freddy instead of Marlon, and maybe Baker at the top of the diamond if he's fit yet? (Is he?)

BenInTurin

Facebook User
I'll be happy as long as we played like we did last weekend and if we do we should win anyway! If king and sheff are fit I would only change juke on for eastwood.

Jimthor

Just read Clarke also doubtful with ankle injury.
So Keogh back to RB and Cameron in at CB i'd expect.

Just checked the post and my tickets have arrived! Ahhh i love away days :D

Coventry La La La

I will be talking in the live chat-box for this one while listening to the game. :) Hopefully we can get some good banter going..

(Chat box requires 5 posts)

Pigeon

I think we'll win 3-1 :) Feeling weirdly optimistic. Going to be missing all coverage of city tomorrow as I'm at a wedding just hope I come home to 3 points :whistle:

The CableGuy

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/derbycounty/fb_news.php?storyid=12063

Information for travelling fans

Driving
It’s a short hop from Coventry to Derby. Take the M1 North to J16 for Derby. Take the A500/A50 to Derby. Take the A6 turn-off for Derby and the ground and away parking are signposted. About 50 miles.

Parking
Away fans can park at Catalyst on London Rd opposite the Navigation pub. It's about 10-15 minutes from the ground. Don't be tempted to park at Pride Park shopping centre unless you fancy being clamped.

You can also park at the Fireplace showroom just at the turn off the A52 for Pride Park. Don’t be in a rush to leave however as it takes an age to get out of there. Another alternative is to pass the exit for Pride Park on Brian Clough Way and head for Pentagon Island... Take the first exit and turn left and after a few hundred yards you will come to

The Cattle Market Car Park. It's about 10 minutes walk to the ground from here.

Drinking
There are a few pubs very close to the ground but if you come by train, the locale around the station is fairly inviting. The Crown and Cushion at the junction of London Rd always seems to be full of away supporters.

The Brunswick is a must for any real ale fans and the Alexandra next door is my personal favourite. Fans tend to mingle in these pubs and as long as you're not being aggressive, the atmosphere is good. The Waterfall opposite the station is very good as well.

If you are driving, the Navigation Pub on London Rd opposite the parking area is your best bet. Around the ground there's a Frankie & Bennie's, Harvester and the Pride Park but these tend to be very busy.

Disorganised1

I'm going for 2 - 2 Gunner and Bell to score.

The CableGuy

From the BBC:

Dismal results have taken both these clubs from the play-off places to a relegation battle. Coventry's slump led to Aidy Boothroyd losing his job as their manager, while Derby's terrible run has led to boss Nigel Clough coming under mounting pressure.

The pressure on Coventry was at least eased by Saturday's home win against Watford, which was their first victory in eight matches and only their second in 19. Derby, on the other hand, were thumped 4-1 by Cardiff and have won only three of their last 21 league games.

Coventry have lost four of the last five matches between these clubs and have been beaten on their last two visits to Pride Park. In fact, City have won on only one of their last 16 trips to Derby, which might offer some encouragement to a Rams side that has struggled at home, managing only one win and four goals on their own patch in 2011.

City have also had problems in front of goal - but they could claim to have been unlucky. They have hit the woodwork 28 times in Championship games this season - more than any other club. And only second-placed Norwich have had more attempts on goal than the Sky Blues.

The CableGuy

Derby

• Derby have lost all 12 Championship games this season in which they were behind at half-time.

• They have rescued only three points from losing positions. No Football League club has clawed back fewer points after being behind.

• Eighteen players have netted league goals for them this term, giving Derby the longest goalscorers list in the division.
Coventry

• Coventry, who have 508 goal attempts this season, are yet to lose a game after being ahead at half-time.

• They are without a win in nine away matches.

• Gary McSheffrey is in line for his 300th league appearance, and Sammy Clingan his 200th league start.

The CableGuy

I said before the game a draw would be a good result. A game last's for 90 minutes not 38 CableGuy.. :facepalm:
And half's last 45 minutes and not 38. :facepalm:

Sure, I would have settled for a point before the game but still, I doubt if many people would have settled for that when 2-0 up and cruising against a very poor Derby team.

Last edited:

Jimthor

Played like Andy Thorn's new superstars again for the first 40 mins, then we were dramatically reminded that at the end of the day, it's still the same Coventry City!
Still, a decent result, and a decent performance- felt we could have (possibly should have) won.

I liked seeing the players all running over to Thorn to celebrate after the 2nd goal too, was a nice touch! Shame they threw it away so soon afterwards though.

Users who are viewing this thread