Matchday experience (1 Viewer)

Hobo

The Ricoh rocks when full. Highfield Road was renowned for lacking atmosphere. Yes our fans were noisy but the acoustics were rubbish. We have never been high on the football list of great grounds to visit.

Nick

Administrator
The Ricoh rocks when full. Highfield Road was renowned for lacking atmosphere. Yes our fans were noisy but the acoustics were rubbish. We have never been high on the football list of great grounds to visit.

The thing with HR was that although it was a bit of a shithole in the middle of hillfields it was CCFC. It was personality and a proper stadium without being a soulless bowl.

For away fans it probably was awful, but for home fans it was completely different.

Terry Gibson's perm

There's too much of that happy clappy love in for the away fans. I can never remember that happening at HR.

If I built a football ground I would build it with no roof over the away fans to stop them making a lot of noise I don't care if they get wet can't get a pie or have a piss don't bother coming if your not happy. Home fans can have gold plated toilets if they want as that's who we should look after.

Even the walk to the ground through the park was hazardous at HR

Nick

Administrator
Do many other stadiums have a red light district on their doorstep? Still remember one of them asking my mates dad if he wanted some fun and it being the best thing to ever happen in our lives. (we were about 12)

ajsccfc

Best feature: Proximity to motorway

location-location-location-7.jpg

jimmyhillsfanclub

Well I have to agree......I fucking hate the ricoh "experience"......I've witnessed far better atmospheres at non-league games and I'm not even exagerating....

Its why I'm an away-day only fan and have been for several years now......fuck all to do with them cunts at sisu or wasps,....just that I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than ever go back inside that shitty bowl.

shy_tall_knight

Stood on the hill at Sixfields, but that looked a fairly poor matchday experience, an open stadium on the edge of a town. Port Vale, Chesterfield were far better, based in the heart of the town centre. Also my biggest gripe at the Ricoh, although through choice was evening games walking alongside the canal after a game to gew back to the car, do depressing.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Exactly, the Ricoh is shit in almost every way.

We could expand our own stadium at the Butts and have everything we want, but no, there isn't enough room for a pedestrian crossing!

Nick

Administrator
Bad I know, I quite liked standing next to the pitch at Nuneaton for a pre-season friendly leaning on the ad board. Felt much closer to the game

oscillatewildly

Do many other stadiums have a red light district on their doorstep? Still remember one of them asking my mates dad if he wanted some fun and it being the best thing to ever happen in our lives. (we were about 12)
I recall one midweek fixture, late '80's. I'd left 10 mins early and was making my way on foot back to the city centre when a lady on a street corner enquired: "Want some action"? I replied: "What you gonna do, organise a car chase with explosions"?
Imagine my surprise then when the next decade dawned and other than beating Liverpool and Villa this would also be a regular occurrence in the vicinity!

chiefdave

The Ricoh would be fine if we had good experiences there. If we were upper championship / PL and getting 30K every week there would be no issues. At least not any that you don't experience at all newer stadiums.

But being in a 30K stadium with 8K in at surrounded by Wasps logos and being treated like second class citizens with everything regularly running out before half time is shit.

Bristol sky blue

Well I have to agree......I fucking hate the ricoh "experience"......I've witnessed far better atmospheres at non-league games and I'm not even exagerating....

Its why I'm an away-day only fan and have been for several years now......fuck all to do with them cunts at sisu or wasps,....just that I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than ever go back inside that shitty bowl.

Sadly, I'm with you on that one...
I find the experience of going to the Ricoh mind-numbing (especially waiting for a bus back to the centre afterwards by Tesco)
I definitely prefer away days by a country mile.

Astute

The problem I have is you can have a good day away even when we lose. At home not even a win makes it an enjoyable day. It is just relief that we have won.

shmmeee

There’s some serious rose tinted glasses going on with HR. It was a deathly silent shithole with tiny seats, pillars everywhere and in a shit area. Felt neither tight and imposing thanks to the redevelopments or modern and functional thanks to the aging building. It took fucking ages to get out because the corridors were too small, there wasn’t parking anywhere close and you could never get a pie at HT.

Ricoh is built for Prem football, upper Championship at worst, and it’s never seen it. I bet even Wembley would be pretty fucking grim with 7k rattling around in it.

End of this season is decision time. Either we need to try and make the club successful enough for the ground, or accept we aren’t going back to the promised land (or anything close) and build/rent for the lower leagues.

Judging by the posts on here it seems most would prefer the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread