McSheffrey - We need City's support. (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

gary-mac_1742870c.jpg

McSheffrey on City support

Coventry City midfielder Gary McSheffrey has said that the Sky Blues needs supporters on its side.

Speaking to the CT, McSheffrey said: "We need them on our side. "I've been a fan of Coventry and I know that while first and foremost, they appreciate 100% effort, it's even better if they can see the ball being knocked about.

"That's one of the big things that has been missing from our game in recent months - self belief, confidence that we're better than the opposition - so now its up to us put on a show and prove that we really are a decent team, starting against Watford this afternoon.

Preston

Many of the City supporters were livid with the performance at Preston North End and McSheffrey said: "Every second week supporters probably pay £50 on travel and tickets so if we don't perform they are entitled to their opinion.

"I've been in the game long enough to take things like that in my stride but had we held on for a lucky draw it would have been a lot different - they would have been going home thinking it was two good points from a difficult week.

"In fact we were unlucky not to get the win at Burnley - we were like dogs in midfield, winning the ball to let the lads up front play with a bit of freedom and we dominated the second half.

"I don't really know what went wrong at Preston but there were six or seven players me included who couldn't get their first touch right when we did get possession.
"Our control of the football wasn't great on the day and the first goal came from us giving the ball away on the edge of the box.

"Preston played really well - they are fighting for their lives and on overall play, they deserved their win. But all we had to do to pinch a point was see out the last thirty seconds and we gave away a silly corner and left them with a free volley in the box."

Team has missed the service of Marlon King

Gary McSheffrey has said that not having the services of Marlon King for Coventry City has been a blow for the Sky Blues.

King is available for this afternoon's home game against Watford after serving a four game ban and McSheffrey said: "He's a quality player who's come in and proved that he's hungry and wanted to kick on with his career again.

"His experience would have shone through and he would probably have chipped in with another three or four goals which might have got a win at Burnley and a draw at Preston.

"But he's back against Watford - if selected - and I'm sure he will want to do well against his old club. We all do."

We must get points on the table

Coventry City midfielder Gary McSheffrey feels that City must get wins from their upcoming games.

Speaking to the CT, McSheffrey said: "Apart from the Preston game, we've probably been playing better away from home but we need to turn up at the Ricoh, be brave on the ball and make things happen.

"We've got four winnable games coming up so we want to get some points on the table sooner rather than later. We don't want to be going into the last three games - Middlesbrough, Reading and Norwich - still in the dogfight and having to win matches."

Last edited:

Pigeon

He need to put in a decent tackle every now and then, one that doesn't result in giving away a free kick.

Nonleagueherewecome

Sod that, he needs to curl a few in the top corner like he did at Burnley! Give the guy a bit of credit, he was superb in that game and scored our goal of the season. He tries to make a rallying call and just gets cynicism in return! Come on, he isn't a SISU suit! GET BEHIND THE LADS TODAY!!!!

kg82

Tackling's not part of his game, never has been. So why start now. Let the players that actually CAN tackle do that and let the players who can make something happen do that. It's not rocket science although some managers seem to think it is. Putting in effort can be shown in other ways and that's all the fans ask.

Nonleagueherewecome

Not gloating, but THATS WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT! Awesome strike and he created mayhem all game. If he's facing in that direction instead of his main role being to protect his FB ( hence using all his stamina running backwards ) , he will play like today. Thats the most advanced role he's had since Eric Black. Probably his best game since then, too. Thorn comes over as the best reader of the game we've had since Black, frankly. Genius formation, perfect role for McSheffrey, RESULT!

Macca

Yes very impressive stuff. Lets hope he and others will be here next year performing at this level and not the half arsed efforts of the majority of this year

Great_Expectations

Brilliant finish for the first goal! Had a busy game today, best I have seen him play for a while, not quite there as he was a few years ago, but if he can build on today he will be there soon.

Users who are viewing this thread