Memories From '87 (1 Viewer)

Porkchophill

This one is for those lucky enough to have been around on that famous day. The start of the FA Cup is the start of a journey to Wembley for 2 sides. Granted, it's unlikely to be us, but Bradford have caused a few upsets these past 2 years, so anything can happen. We had our moment back in 1987, but sadly, a lot of us weren't around to see it. So for this week's Cooks Question, i want to hear your memories from our Cup journey and the final itself in 1987. For those too young to have attended that famous game, let us know what your parents have told you about it. The best answers will be read out on Sports Lounge this Thursday. The show kicks off at 10am on 98.6 Hillz FM. You can also listen via www.hillzfm.co.uk or the Tune In Radio App. If you cant make the live show, you can catch up via my Mixcloud page, www.mixcloud.com/liamcook. This week's show will include a special interview with Coventry United manager Edwin Greagves, as part of our new partnership with the club. Enjoy the show and thanks for your support. PLAY UP SKY BLUES!

Due to being 11 and my dad being a jock builder who wouldn't take the time off work to queue for tickets God rest him we watched the match at home in willenhall what kids don't realize now is how big a deal the fa cup was back then , the coverage started really early on tv I remember loads of people coming round with carry outs and a spread of food being laid on, the lads two doors down from us who always found unique ways of pissing the street off decided to be spurs fans for the day hanging massive flags from there windows needless to say after the match it was cold in there house for a while I remember standing by the chase ( crest) hotel on London road cheering the fans coming back , and standing on an ice cream van near the council house for the parade , being made to sing go for it city in front of the school in assembly and nearly pissing on David speedy s feet at the sky blue connection fa cup day behind the Mercia roadshow van before he got unveiled . Oh and Dean Enerson nearly running me over in his new Peugeot

Speedies_Chips

Due to being 11 and my dad being a jock builder who wouldn't take the time off work to queue for tickets God rest him we watched the match at home in willenhall what kids don't realize now is how big a deal the fa cup was back then , the coverage started really early on tv I remember loads of people coming round with carry outs and a spread of food being laid on, the lads two doors down from us who always found unique ways of pissing the street off decided to be spurs fans for the day hanging massive flags from there windows needless to say after the match it was cold in there house for a while I remember standing by the chase ( crest) hotel on London road cheering the fans coming back , and standing on an ice cream van near the council house for the parade , being made to sing go for it city in front of the school in assembly and nearly pissing on David speedy s feet at the sky blue connection fa cup day behind the Mercia roadshow van before he got unveiled . Oh and Dean Enerson nearly running me over in his new Peugeot

Are you sure about Speedie? We didn't sign him until the August did we?

Porkchophill

Are you sure about Speedie? We didn't sign him until the August did we?

Cause I'm sure small angry Scottish bloke this was at the connection when they had a massive day to commemorate the win and you got your photo taken with the fa cup think you will find speedie signed officially at the start of July

usskyblue

Cause I'm sure small angry Scottish bloke this was at the connection when they had a massive day to commemorate the win and you got your photo taken with the fa cup think you will find speedie signed officially at the start of July

His made his debut in the Charity Shield the following season..

DazzleTommyDazzle

The Charity Shield was the first "official" game he played in.

he'd played in friendlies before that. The first time I saw him play for us was in a friendly at Hereford.

henry the wasp

People are getting confused with your other post. You say "fa cup day", when on about speedie. People are thinking that this is literally the day when the final was played. You are talking about an event some weeks later at the connexion.
Had me scratching my head for a while.

Speedies_Chips

People are getting confused with your other post. You say "fa cup day", when on about speedie. People are thinking that this is literally the day when the final was played. You are talking about an event some weeks later at the connexion.
Had me scratching my head for a while.

That's why I was confused. It was quite hard to read lot lot without being able to gasp for breath.

AJB1983

My earliest memory of my life is us driving into town after the final whistle - we lived in Longford and just got over the bridge by the Tesco bus terminus and there were people running through the streets with flags waving, horns going. That’s all I remember.
And then the open top bus tour we went down near the hospital to watch them go by. My only memories as I was nearly 4.
And then me and my dad queued at the connexion to have a picture with the cup - it’s still up in my parents house. I remember trying to lift it and couldn’t as it was too heavy for me.

Chris1987

Being stood 20 rows back dead centre the Houchen header obviously lives in the memory forever . The SF was brilliant but the game at Hillsborough in the QF was my favourite game. City were brilliant that day backed by 15,000 supporters . Very happy memories

Users who are viewing this thread