Missed Opportunities (1 Viewer)

mrtrench

What missed opportunities from your life have you remembered and wished you'd done? For me, there's something daft that took place in the loo in an office in London. I reckon if it hadn't been in the loo I'd have done it... but it seemed a bit odd in that place.

I went to the toilet and the only other person in there was a rasta who worked as a cleaner, singing Bob Marley's 'Natural Mystic' to himself as he worked. I thought at the time that I should sing the bass line alongside... but I just had a pee, washed my hands and left.

Sky_Blue_Daz

My cousin asked me to be a silent partner In his business about 25 years ago I passed it off as piffle and balderdash. He’s a multi millionaire now,

We were both pissed in a bar in town and I genuinely didn’t think he’d go for it

Sky_Blue_Daz

Oh and there was this Irish girl I met when I was 18 called Trisha she was stunning and had the most beautiful blue eyes we got to know each other over a two week period when she came over to stay with some relatives

we got on really well and had a few dates she went back to Galway and we sent a few letters and shared the odd phone call , she came back to stay with relatives about 6 months later but by that stage I’d met my now wife .

mrtrench

Oh and there was this Irish girl I met when I was 18 called Trisha she was stunning and had the most beautiful blue eyes we got to know each other over a two week period when she came over to stay with some relatives

we got on really well and had a few dates she went back to Galway and we sent a few letters and shared the odd phone call , she came back to stay with relatives about 6 months later but by that stage I’d met my now wife .

I hope your wife doesn't read this forum, Daz. Posting that in a 'Regrets' thread isn't going to win any brownie points.

Sky_Blue_Daz

No Mrs Sbd is brilliant, no it was more of a regret that I never “sealed the deal”

wingy

Lucy and Alison.
Not both at the same time or in that order.
A business opportunity I didn't follow up due to negativity from the wife
Completion of my degree
Quite a few there .

mrtrench

I don't regret this, per se, as my life is fine and other good things happened down the route I took.

I wanted to be an actor when I was young. I wanted to go to Drama School or study English Lit at Uni but my Dad insisted I study Maths. Even after my degree I could have gone to drama school but I'd met my wife by then. Several of my friends from Uni who shared my interests have gone on to make a career from it (nobody massively famous - a sit com writer; a stand up comedian; a guitar player in a successful Brit Pop band; a bass player in a successful indie band...). I was more into the straight drama side of things - would never have been a comedian or a musician. Often wonder if I might have forged a career out of it instead of working in an office.

Gazolba

I think one of my biggest regrets is not learning a musical instrument when I was very young.
I see all these incredible musicians on Youtube and they all seem to have started when they were around 5 years of age.
Neither of my parents were musical so I got no motivation or encouragement from them.
As a teenager, I took a few guitar lessons but never really stuck with it because I was interested in other things by then.

W

westcountry_skyblue

I don't regret this, per se, as my life is fine and other good things happened down the route I took.

I wanted to be an actor when I was young. I wanted to go to Drama School or study English Lit at Uni but my Dad insisted I study Maths. Even after my degree I could have gone to drama school but I'd met my wife by then. Several of my friends from Uni who shared my interests have gone on to make a career from it (nobody massively famous - a sit com writer; a stand up comedian; a guitar player in a successful Brit Pop band; a bass player in a successful indie band...). I was more into the straight drama side of things - would never have been a comedian or a musician. Often wonder if I might have forged a career out of it instead of working in an office.
You’ve got to tell us the guitar and Bass players now,Don’t leave us in the lurch man!!

skybluetony176

Wish I hadn’t pissed so much of my income up the wall in my late teens and early twenties and spent that money on other things I enjoyed doing instead. It’s the memory of other things I enjoyed doing that I now hold dearest whereas all the nights out have merged into one memory. I literally could have gone out and got bladdered just once in my life and still have the same memories of all those experiences. Just seems such a waste of money now looking back and the amount I was going out week in week out for a good five years definitely stopped me doing other things.

Covkid1968#

One of my football regrets is deciding to do a days studying instead of going to Wimbledon v Cov game in the 90’s.(huge pitch invasion etc)
Whenever talk turns to the best away day out ever I go on about Tottenham away where we win to stay up... only for my mates to say.... yes but that’s because you never went to THE best away day ever at Wimbledon.
Personal non football regrets.... shitloads. Variations on much of what has been said and some other darker stuff that I deal with by pretending it never happened... but we are all where we are as a result of our decisions .... and overall I wouldn’t change it. But I do think more about the impact of my choices now.... but that comes with age..

mrtrench

You’ve got to tell us the guitar and Bass players now,Don’t leave us in the lurch man!!

Guitar/Violin - Pulp
Bass - Blue Aeroplanes

You won't know the names of either, they're no famous and I haven't spoken to either since I left Uni. Played in a band with the Bassist. Pulp guy auditioned for our band and we turned him down. :)

mrtrench

TBF, he'd only just started playing guitar at that stage and he was rubbish. He was a year older than me and left to go back to Sheffield to join the band in about 1984. Years before they made it so plenty of time to practise. He was bezza mates with Jarvis from school or something. He arranged for them to play Uni around 1983 - I don't think I went to the gig even.

Last edited:

Otis

Had a band, sent off demo tapes, heard nothing back for weeks.

Used the bass player's contact number on the stuff we sent in.

Suddenly, after many weeks, a record company rang the number and apparently wanted to sign us. Only trouble was, the bass player wasn't in and his Polish dad answered the phone and his English was terrible and he didn't write anything down and we never, ever found out who it was.

A while later we split and the bass player joined Dexy's and the drummer, King.

mrtrench

Had a band, sent off demo tapes, heard nothing back for weeks.

Used the bass player's contact number on the stuff we sent in.

Suddenly, after many weeks, a record company rang the number and apparently wanted to sign us. Only trouble was, the bass player wasn't in and his Polish dad answered the phone and his English was terrible and he didn't write anything down and we never, ever found out who it was.

Unlucky :(

We were shit - never even dreamt we'd try and become something - it was just a laugh at Uni. Bass player was far too good for us and it was clear if he wanted to and got the run of the green that he'd play professionally.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Did a bit on local radio years ago, just a bit of desk driving and presenting, but as a shy lad I wasn’t cut out for it.Was surprised how cut throat it could be with some of the presenters one in particular was a right snake . Some really talented presenters there at the time as well as some decent people.

Last edited:

clint van damme

Guitar/Violin - Pulp
Bass - Blue Aeroplanes

You won't know the names of either, they're no famous and I haven't spoken to either since I left Uni. Played in a band with the Bassist. Pulp guy auditioned for our band and we turned him down. :)

Russell Senior Pulp
No idea on the bass player

Paxman II

Regrets? Just one. Taking on a partner who virtually begged to be in on the business. Was a friend, their kids played with our kids, dinner parties in each others homes, all that stuff. But turned out to be bi-polar, became difficult to handle, and destroyed the business. Took me a long time to recover. So yeah regret ever making that decision. Don't go into business with family and friends.

Users who are viewing this thread