Monarch Airlines Go Bust (1 Viewer)

no_loyalty

Monarch Airlines have gone bust, I have used them quite a few times and they seemed pretty decent.

They obviously can't compete with low cost airlines

Captain Dart

I'm in Majorca. Was flying back with Monarch.
Waiting for new flight details

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Simon Calder on Radio 5 saying being already on hol there is the best place to be, because you are guaranteed a flight home with another carrier but you may need to fly to another airport in UK at a different time on the same day, so it may be a pig to get home once you touch down.

Covstu

surprise this one as I haven't seen much about them struggling. The main stories have been about Ryanair, all obviously not having a good time of it all but I do wonder whether this is going to spark an increase in flights?

Captain Dart

surprise this one as I haven't seen much about them struggling. The main stories have been about Ryanair, all obviously not having a good time of it all but I do wonder whether this is going to spark an increase in flights?
Ryan Air will be breathing sigh of relief on this,. takes the heat off them for a while.

Covstu

I wondered that this morning. They said on the news they nearly went last year, and there had been whispers for the past two or three.

Guess tbf it's not in their interests to publicise it, but I certainly wasn't in the know on those whispers!
definitely flew under the radar......
:emoji_airplane::emoji_airplane::emoji_airplane_arriving::emoji_airplane_departure::emoji_airplane_small:

Sky_Blue_Daz

My sister in law was cabin crew with Monarch for 21 years she was in 2 of the adverts on telly last year she went to an administration meeting today and was told to head straight to the job centre.

I know it's hard on the people stranded but I do spare a few thoughts for the staff too

Marty

I'm breathing a sign of relief, flying out to Rome with Ryanair in a few weeks.

skybluegod

They kinda got stuffed with the drop in the pound and the increase in terrorist attacks in recent years.

Two of Monarch’s biggest markets, Egypt and Tunisia, were closed to tourists after terrorist attacks. The Foreign Office advised against travel to Tunisia and Egypt’s Red Sea resorts after the shooting Sousse and bombing of Russian Airliner

Also the unrest since the uprising in Turkey also badly affected Monarch’s holiday business.As well as the tough competition for short haul flights to Spain and Portugal, for example, meant that prices were constantly slashed just fill seats.
Then fall of the pound left Monarch paying £50m a year more for fuel and aircraft, purchased in dollars.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
The only good thing is Ryanair short on pilots a load are now available, good luck to anybody who is stranded

After listening to a radio interview with a RyanAir pilot who was whistle blowing I doubt there’s a queue of people wanting to work for them!

Was about 7 mins long sharing how they have to PAY RyanAir €300 for an interview and once offered the job, they have to PAY RyanAir €28,500 (think was the figure) before they’re actually taken on! They are on zero hour contracts, have to pay even for their own bottled water (due to some working / flying hours some even resort to taking an empty bottle and filling it up before departure!), don’t get paid extra for delays etc and the extra hours they have to work to make up for them. Was an interesting listen, and makes you think what a shame it is that companies who maybe treat their staff better don’t survive, like Monarch (although haven’t heard either positive or negative things about their ownership / management so I could be totally wrong) when companies like RyanAir continue to clearly abuse not only their customers but also their staff!

I for one will certainly think twice about booking with them in the future!

As for Monarch and this news, it’s not only awful for people who’ve travelled and not yet returned with them, but also the ones who have holidays booked in the future (more so the ones who only found out the news at the airport!!) and add to that the staff who’ve been left unemployed!!

SkyblueBazza

After listening to a radio interview with a RyanAir pilot who was whistle blowing I doubt there’s a queue of people wanting to work for them!

Was about 7 mins long sharing how they have to PAY RyanAir €300 for an interview and once offered the job, they have to PAY RyanAir €28,500 (think was the figure) before they’re actually taken on! They are on zero hour contracts, have to pay even for their own bottled water (due to some working / flying hours some even resort to taking an empty bottle and filling it up before departure!), don’t get paid extra for delays etc and the extra hours they have to work to make up for them. Was an interesting listen, and makes you think what a shame it is that companies who maybe treat their staff better don’t survive, like Monarch (although haven’t heard either positive or negative things about their ownership / management so I could be totally wrong) when companies like RyanAir continue to clearly abuse not only their customers but also their staff!

I for one will certainly think twice about booking with them in the future!

As for Monarch and this news, it’s not only awful for people who’ve travelled and not yet returned with them, but also the ones who have holidays booked in the future (more so the ones who only found out the news at the airport!!) and add to that the staff who’ve been left unemployed!!
The price of cheap!

Selfish attitudes of: bottom-line is all that matters leads to exactly this imo

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Gazolba

Now that the airline has gone, lets get rid of the other Monarch(y).
I hear Harry and Meghan's wedding will cost over 40 million.
Enough to rebuild Grenfell Tower and buy everyone new furniture.

Astute

You get what you pay for.

Monarch have been in trouble for years. Flights are only covered on a credit card if £100 or more each. We could have saved a couple of hundred booking the hotel and flights separately. But then we wouldn't be ABTA insured. And we needed to be here for a wedding.

Users who are viewing this thread