Monitor help (1 Viewer)

pipkin73

I run a dual monitor (i need it for work), last few days the HDMI has started working randomly.
It's not the cable or monitor as i have changed them both, plus last night i reinstalled the drivers (not for the first time),
and it restarted and worked but probably a coincidence as it's gone off again now .

Also, sometimes it is seen when it boots up other times not, (DVI connection is secondary monitor and works fine)
so if it does not boot from bios it can't be windows drivers
Also sometimes it boots to the HDMI Monitor from bios then cuts out and switches to the DVI as windows starts,
but most of the time 95% if boots to the DVI connection).

Please can anyone help with this problem?

robbiekeane

I run a dual monitor (i need it for work), last few days the HDMI has started working randomly.
It's not the cable or monitor as i have changed them both, plus last night i reinstalled the drivers (not for the first time),
and it restarted and worked but probably a coincidence as it's gone off again now .

Also, sometimes it is seen when it boots up other times not, (DVI connection is secondary monitor and works fine)
so if it does not boot from bios it can't be windows drivers
Also sometimes it boots to the HDMI Monitor from bios then cuts out and switches to the DVI as windows starts,
but most of the time 95% if boots to the DVI connection).

Please can anyone help with this problem?
If you disconnect, start up your comp, and then reconnect it, does it work?

pipkin73

If you disconnect, start up your comp, and then reconnect it, does it work?
No mate, it's totally random. Last time it workedwas when i removed the graphics card to send a pic to an engineer.
Put it back in and the bloody thing worked so i canceled him.
Walked the dog and when i got back it had gone off.
Worked well whilst i was using it, think the pc went in to sleep mode as not being used.

Nick

Administrator
I'm not sure really without trying a different card.

If you have changed cables and monitors it is more than likely the card.

It's not an energy saving setting is it?

pipkin73

I'm not sure really without trying a different card.

If you have changed cables and monitors it is more than likely the card.

It's not an energy saving setting is it?
No Mate, i've even put the pc on high performance just to check but like i said it's the same coming out of bios.

pipkin73

Ok, an update.
Removed the drivers for the card and before windows reinstalled them switched the computer off.
Removed the card (advice from youtube) and used the onboard graphics and it's working perfectly.
Will get my work done and then carry on with trying stuff out.

Youtube said to 1 remove graphic card drivers, 2 shut the pc down, 3 fit to the onboard card, start it up and
let it update drivers for the onboard card and then shut down.
Kill the power by pressing the power button for 30 seconds, refit the graphics card
and if not down it should bring it back to life.

Will try that once my work is done, but whilst it's working i am just going to keep going and get my work out.
Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread