Motson Calling It A Day (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

John Motson is hanging up his microphone at the end of the season after fifty years as a BBC commentator. Him and his sheepskin coat are retiring although he says he will still be doing some stuff but 50 years is enough. I grew up listening to Kenneth Wolstenholme and then Barry Davies, two of the best in my opinion. I like Motty and when he gave a great talk at Jimmy Hills Cathedral service, a genuine tribute to Jimmy, I thought then he really is a football man. Who is a favourite commentator on the radio or telly ?

Adge

One of,if not,the best in the business. Only Martin Tyler can rival him. Guess we can look forward to Jonathan Pearce a bit more now then.
giphy.gif

Captain Dart

About time.

CJ_covblaze

As iconic a voice as Sid Waddell and Murray Walker. Don't make them like those three anymore. All brilliant.

Gazolba

I like Gary Neville. I enjoy his comments during games. He's not usually the main commentator though just the guy who chips in with cogent comments now and again.

Like you, I remember Kenneth Wolstenholme and Barry Davies fondly.

Last edited:

CJ_covblaze

Mentioning Waddell above has reminded me of his one liners. One in particular is probably one of the best bits of commentary ever!

"Genghis Khan conquered the world at the age of forty four. Phil Taylor's just done it aged twenty nine"

I'd put Henry Blofeld in with those 3 too. Sad he's gone out on a test that didn't even last 3 days. Would happily listen to just him alone mentioning pigeons and buses for two final days. What a character.

CJ_covblaze

I like Gary Neville. I enjoy his comments during games. He's not usually the main commentator though just the guy who chips in with cogent comments now and again.

Should see him when he's been on the wine. The stories he has are priceless. Very much doubt he should've been sharing most of them!

ccfctommy

Mentioning Waddell above has reminded me of his one liners. One in particular is probably one of the best bits of commentary ever!

"Genghis Khan conquered the world at the age of forty four. Phil Taylor's just done it aged twenty nine"

I'd put Henry Blofeld in with those 3 too. Sad he's gone out on a test that didn't even last 3 days. Would happily listen to just him alone mentioning pigeons and buses for two final days. What a character.

Couldent stand Sid Waddell. Always up Taylors arse.

CJ_covblaze

Users who are viewing this thread