Moving from BT to Sky (1 Viewer)

ovduk78

We have been with BT for years but are looking to move to Sky as it will be around £23 cheaper per month with same package, ie BT sports, Netflix & broadband. Is there anything we should be wary of before we move? Do they have a habit of putting up prices mid contract or when initial 18 month contract ends will there be a massive price rise. The service from BT box can be shite too, I take it Sky box is a lot better.

Sbarcher

Do you have a BT email address? I believe they will delete it if you move or you can pay to keep it going.

ajsccfc

You'll definitely get the big price rise at the end of the 18 months, but just set yourself a reminder at the 17 month stage to contact them and leave at the end of the contract and they'll fold after putting you through to the cancellation/retention bods

Robinshio

You'll definitely get the big price rise at the end of the 18 months, but just set yourself a reminder at the 17 month stage to contact them and leave at the end of the contract and they'll fold after putting you through to the cancellation/retention bods
And without the need for a dish it is now much easier to swap between them

Kneeza

My missus runs the Sky account, and puts the eeby-jeebies up them every time they try to put the price up.
Mind you, she IS pretty scary.
Anyway, she always seems to come up smelling of roses with a continuation of the same price, plus an extra free service thrown in.
I love her work...

LastGarrison

I’ve just switched and having a bit of nightmare with Sky at the moment.

They confirmed to me that I could have fibre optic broadband so went ahead and confirmed, cancelled my Virgin to finish just after Sky was due to go live and when the engineer came round he confirmed they couldn’t put it in and they would need to apply for planning permission to input more wiring off a box down the end of the close.

I’ve had to extend Virgin so paying for their internet and TV as well as having Sky TV and then another engineer came around today and there are further problems with some ports being plugged in incorrectly and being set up with a different serial number so still don’t have the internet yet!!!

The problem is they outsource their engineering to Openreach so it’s all through third parties.

I would just double check people in your area already have broadband and that it will definitely be able to go live on the day they say.

bezzer

I have 3 BT email addresses. Do you know how much they charge?

You'll be given the option to switch to a basic BT email account.
If you want to retain what you have now then it's £7.50 per account, per month.

ovduk78

Looks like I'm stuck with BT until August 2024 as to get out of my contract would cost me £600!! That is how they pay customers for loyalty

ajsccfc

My missus runs the Sky account, and puts the eeby-jeebies up them every time they try to put the price up.
Mind you, she IS pretty scary.
Anyway, she always seems to come up smelling of roses with a continuation of the same price, plus an extra free service thrown in.
I love her work...
I think the trick is not to chicken out of cancelling, they'll offer you X, Y and Z to keep you on but if you keep saying no thanks, cancel my account eventually they'll either match your current setup or better it.

Any time I've done it I've been happy to cancel it if need be so I can only assume they sensed my cool air of detachment and shat themselves

JAM See

I have 3 BT email addresses. Do you know how much they charge?
Missus had the same issue with Virgin many years ago.

She bit the bullet and went to Gmail.

Forwarded a few important emails to the gmail account and she's been fine ever since.

£7.50/month for email is a disgrace in this day and age.

Kneeza

I think the trick is not to chicken out of cancelling, they'll offer you X, Y and Z to keep you on but if you keep saying no thanks, cancel my account eventually they'll either match your current setup or better it.

Any time I've done it I've been happy to cancel it if need be so I can only assume they sensed my cool air of detachment and shat themselves
Has my dragon been coaching you?

Flying Fokker

We have been with BT for years but are looking to move to Sky as it will be around £23 cheaper per month with same package, ie BT sports, Netflix & broadband. Is there anything we should be wary of before we move? Do they have a habit of putting up prices mid contract or when initial 18 month contract ends will there be a massive price rise. The service from BT box can be shite too, I take it Sky box is a lot better.
Just go through the customer retention department. Tell them why you’re likely to move. You will probably be passed on to another person. Do it a couple of times until you get the deal you want.

Users who are viewing this thread