My Thoughts So Far (1 Viewer)

skybluegt

2008/09 Sky Blues
From what I have seen so far in the close season, CC & RR are more than well aware of the issues which have afflicted Coventry City since relegation. I feel we had an undercurrent of negativity within the club, with one of our senior pro’s, Stephen Hughes, not always helping the cause. It can be no coincidence that Hughes had his two best season’s when his contract was due for renewal. He showed massive talent as a youngster, but will probably be remembered as nothing more than a jobbing Centre Midfielder. He had his positives, but I feel it was a very brave and totally necessary decision to release him.

With the new signings, they have both been busy looking for young talent in the lower reaches. Reminiscent of the Bobby Gould era, when he unearthed many real gems. The difference these days is that with the exposure any talent from the lower league gets, it has become increasingly difficult to get them on the cheap. No sooner has a club made an enquiry and the selling club inform the press, in an attempt to set up a bidding war.

It was a no - brainer that we needed a new first choice keeper, and feel we have a star of the future. The Back four of Dann, Ward, Fox and a hopefully fit McNamee, would be a match for most in the championship. But let’s not forget, Dann & Fox got found out a couple of times last season against the likes of West Brom & Stoke, but they will have learned from the experience and with the right coaching, look like being very good prospects for the future of the club.
Little is known, yet, about the two new Centre Midfielders, but they both come highly recommended, with a mixture of youth and experience. We are still a couple of pacey wide men short of being a serious threat, but feel we will see even more from Mr Consistency, Jay Tabb, who looks a certainty to be in everyone’s first choice eleven.

Up front could be the biggest problem, Leon Best is undoubtedly a good prospect, but is not a proven goalscorer, whilst Michael Mifsud burst onto the scene, but got found out after Xmas. He has undoubted pace, but needs to add a first touch to become a proper threat this term. I think we missed the aerial and ball holding ability of big Dele after we sold him, as he also offered us an outlet when we were under pressure.

To sum up, I feel we are a right - back, a decent goal scorer and a couple of attacking wide men short of being a possible play - off threat this season, but, there is plenty of time to recruit them!

Your Thoughts Please?

ccfcks

At the end of the day we was were we was last season because of lack of goals, I think the defence will be ok, midfields getting there but we need a 20 a season forward.
we also need more fans in the Ricoh

Nick

Administrator
I totally agree with what you say about Mifsud.

I think Leon Best does what he does well. He gets the ball, holds it up but while playing up front on his own there is not much he can do.

If we were to find somebody who could form a "bond" with him there would be a fair few goals going in.

Dann & Fox were quite solid last season and joining up with Ward are a great young defence. As soon as a right back is added with the same footballing mentality I think it will be one of the best defences we have had for a while.

ccfcks

I agee the defence is looking good and the midfield has been added to but a goal scorer is still the key, I think we will keep more clean sheets but we need to score more goals, But I do think he will bring a goalscorer in

Users who are viewing this thread