Name this player.......... (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

[PDF] Played in the late(ish) 1970's for a relatively short time. Nice hat. Regarded as the best goalkeeper outside the top flight when he came to us.

skybluebeduff

Unfortunately when you click that picture it sends us to a site which gives us the answer away, so If people don't click the picture and guess that way, that would be more fair ;)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Unfortunately when you click that picture it sends us to a site which gives us the answer away, so If people don't click the picture and guess that way, that would be more fair ;)
Oh bloody hell , bollocks , crap. You're right. :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

....was he on loan or an understudy to Jim Blyth ?. Can't remember whether Ramsbottom was around / injured or what .

trevelfarandwide

Actually, if we're in the mood for finding/naming players, who was the Scandinavian fella we had in the late 70's early 80's? Small guy, possibly Danish, stuck a few past West Ham if I recall...in the infamous green/black strip. Seemed quite skillful, in truth.

Can't find the clip on Youtube anymore, ugh.

torchomatic

For some reason Bryan King was always my favourite keeper.

JimmyHillsbeard

Major thing I remember about Bryan King was him giving away a free-kick for carrying the ball outside his penalty area while kicking the ball out of his hands. Star Soccer had a field day with the "instant replay".

DazzleTommyDazzle

Major thing I remember about Bryan King was him giving away a free-kick for carrying the ball outside his penalty area while kicking the ball out of his hands. Star Soccer had a field day with the "instant replay".
Wasn't that in the last minute in a relegation battle against Burnley (?).

As I recall they scored from the free kick to get a 2-1 win.

And as I further recall, the Star Soccer slow-mo showed that he hadn't handled outside the area!

Irish Sky Blue

Didn't he injure himself closing his up and over garage door? I think this was the injury that forced his retirement. He came from Millwall with a great reputation but didn't perform here. I saw him play for us at Arsenal in a game we lost 5-0 and he was terrible. I much preferred Jim Blyth.

DazzleTommyDazzle

Didn't he injure himself closing his up and over garage door? I think this was the injury that forced his retirement. He came from Millwall with a great reputation but didn't perform here. I saw him play for us at Arsenal in a game we lost 5-0 and he was terrible. I much preferred Jim Blyth.

I think that the garage door injury was Wilf Smith.

christonabike

My old dad still tells me Arthur Lightening jumped up so high one day at Highfield Rd he came down with a crow in his hand!
Bless him.

DazzleTommyDazzle

I remember him being out for quite a while due to "domestic" injury and thought it happened as ISB described in relation to Bryan King - but this is over 40 years ago so.........

SkyBlueSid

Wasn't that in the last minute in a relegation battle against Burnley (?).

As I recall they scored from the free kick to get a 2-1 win.

And as I further recall, the Star Soccer slow-mo showed that he hadn't handled outside the area!
I am sure you are right. It was Leighton James that scored the free kick and it was later shown to have been an awful decision.

I remember Bryan King being in goal at Arsenal when we lost 5-0. We were four down at half time and King had a nightmare, leading to Gordon Milne saying after the game that he should have been 'locked up' for some of the goals he conceded that day. That was probably the beginning of the end for King. He was plagued by this back injury, ironic as he had hardly ever missed a game for Millwall, I believe.

King was awarded a testimonial after having to quit the game, which took place at the old Den the night before the 1976 Cup Final. King played about 20 minutes in goal for City before being substituted. That was my only ever visit to the Den, a truly horrible experience. The place was full of nutcases looking for trouble and eventually the game was abandoned about 10 minutes from time after a mass pitch invasion. It turned out to be a good night though as we knew some of the players then and were invited to the after-match reception.

As an aside, Southampton beat an out-of-sorts Manchester United the following day at Wembley and many commented on the poor performance of Gordon Hill who was substituted. Hill was a former Millwall player and had been well refreshed at that reception until quite late.

Users who are viewing this thread