Nani - I'm one of the best (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

nani25.jpg

Portugal winger shows self-appreciation after controversial strike

Nani has branded himself one of the world's top players as the row rumbles on over his goal against Tottenham.
Manchester United were leading Spurs through captain Nemanja Vidic's first-half header on Saturday when winger Nani poked in a second for the hosts five minutes from time.
The Portugal international rolled a shot into the net after Tottenham goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes had thrown the ball onto the ground believing a free-kick had been given after Nani had handled in the box.
However, referee Mark Clattenburg was waving for play to continue and consequently allowed the goal to stand after consulting his assistant, much to the outrage of the visitors.
The strike marked Nani's seventh of the season and fourth in four matches, and the controversy sparked by the goal has not deterred the 23-year-old from singing his own praises.

Complete

"As a player I think I'm close to being as complete as I can be," said Nani. "Now I can say I'm one of the top players in the world.
"I play for the best club in the world and my role in the team is as a decisive player, scoring goals or setting up and so the team can win.
"You have to believe in yourself and believe in your abilities on the pitch. Big games are for big players.
"I want to be one of the best. I'm not scared to play in the big games, they are the most beautiful in football - you play with very high quality.
"Beautiful football, that's what everyone likes. And that helps lift my performance too."
pencil.png

covladzak

I was watching that match.....:eek: Remember Dions goal against Newcastle thats was close to that at Highfield Road all those years ago.....:D

BenInTurin

Facebook User
Dublin's goal was nothing like that, look at this picture from the bbc;
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/9145368.stm

If you remember Dublin's goal, he had gone for a cross caught by the keeper and he couldn't help running off the pitch. Given failed to check behind him so when he put the ball on the floor (all in open play) Dublin said thank you very much and stuck in the back of the empty net! I never forget that one.

Nani has his hand on the ball here, what a joke and the usual thing for a decision to go the way of man u. I think the linesman saw the hand on the ball but the ref didn't stop play so he let the goal stand.

Last edited:

covladzak

My bad,, did see Nani touch the ball, wasnt really watching that close.... Didnt Dion fix his shoe or something behind the touch line???

BenInTurin

Facebook User
No, dion just couldn't stop himself running right off the pitch, I think it was quite wet. I remember the bbc going on about if it should of counted or not, but to give credit to hanson or whoever, I'm sure they agreed that it was ok. I never forget taking the piss out of given for the rest of the game after that!

Users who are viewing this thread