New House (1 Viewer)

Great_Expectations

Afternoon All,

I feel like a bit of a dick posting this on the same day as Shmmeee has started a polar opposite thread (genuinely apologise sir), but I have news to share that I don't want to tell any "real life" people for now (bar parents), so who better than fellow Internet forum saddos like myself!

I have just been informed that the offer for myself and my partners first house together has been accepted!!

It's a bit of a project (to put it nicely), meaning it has plenty of scope to mould into what we would like it to be, and was a great price considering the area/other nearby sales. Plus, it's in the exact location we wanted - which was our main driver.

Once finalised, stage one is to install a new bathroom, a kitchen extension and redecorate.

Any advice/comments/observations would be greatly appreciated!

Again - apologies Shmmeee!

clint van damme

Afternoon All,

I feel like a bit of a dick posting this on the same day as Shmmeee has started a polar opposite thread (genuinely apologise sir), but I have news to share that I don't want to tell any "real life" people for now (bar parents), so who better than fellow Internet forum saddos like myself!

I have just been informed that the offer for myself and my partners first house together has been accepted!!

It's a bit of a project (to put it nicely), meaning it has plenty of scope to mould into what we would like it to be, and was a great price considering the area/other nearby sales. Plus, it's in the exact location we wanted - which was our main driver.

Once finalised, stage one is to install a new bathroom, a kitchen extension and redecorate.

Memorise the phrase yes love and use it often, life will be simpler, even if you end up living in a house which you hate the design and decor of.

jimmyhillsfanclub

1. Don't believe a word the estate agent says......they lie for a living.....the pointy-shoed cunts.
2. Get a good solicitor....not a cheap solicitor.....a good solicitor & chase everything up yourself.
3. Don't think to yourselves..... "it looks alright, why spend £xxx on a full structural survey"

skyblueinBaku

what ever you think it will cost to do up - add on 50%
And if you will be doing the work yourself, however long you think each job will take, add 50%!

Great_Expectations

1. Don't believe a word the estate agent says......they lie for a living.....the pointy-shoed cunts.
2. Get a good solicitor....not a cheap solicitor.....a good solicitor & chase everything up yourself.
3. Don't think to yourselves..... "it looks alright, why spend £xxx on a full structural survey"

Luckily I have contacts in the bottom two areas, and have a fair knowledge of the first one so hopefully shouldn't get taken for a mug.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I can recommend A&D windows and Dtml landscapes

Gazolba

So you are buying a house together and you aren't married? Who will pay for and who will own the house and all the furnishings you buy for it?
What if one of you loses your job and the other one has to pay for everything?
This could get very messy in the event of a break-up.
You might want to consult a lawyer and put stuff in writing.

duffer

what ever you think it will cost to do up - add on 50%

... then work out how long it'll take to do, and then double that too. :)

Joking aside, sounds great. If you've got the location you want then everything else will fall into place over time. Just expect a light covering of building dust on all of your meals for the next year or two.

Great_Expectations

So you are buying a house together and you aren't married? Who will pay for and who will own the house and all the furnishings you buy for it?
What if one of you loses your job and the other one has to pay for everything?
This could get very messy in the event of a break-up.
You might want to consult a lawyer and put stuff in writing.

Fantastic post. Can you expand on 'stuff' please?

Great_Expectations

... then work out how long it'll take to do, and then double that too. :)

Joking aside, sounds great. If you've got the location you want then everything else will fall into place over time. Just expect a light covering of building dust on all of your meals for the next year or two.

Indeed, you can change the appearance but you can't change the location. I'm impatient for the challenge now though!

duffer

Indeed, you can change the appearance but you can't change the location. I'm impatient for the challenge now though!

Top man - it'll be brilliant. It's a good feeling doing your own bits and pieces, except for the fact that you'll know and notice every day, every little half-bodge and scratch that you've made, even though no one else will!

Marty

Afternoon All,

I completely redone my property when I bought it. Had to replace everything right down to the floor joists. If you need any advice then let me know.

shmmeee

Mate don't apologise to me.

Only advice I'd have is: plumbing is a lot harder than it looks on YouTube. Unless you've got experience get people in for important structural stuff.

Great_Expectations

I completely redone my property when I bought it. Had to replace everything right down to the floor joists. If you need any advice then let me know.

Cheers much appreciated.

Did you do it all/much/any yourself or did you use builders/plumbers etc? If so, any recommendations?

Marty

Cheers much appreciated.

Did you do it all/much/any yourself or did you use builders/plumbers etc? If so, any recommendations?

I am a plumber and my brother is a plasterer. So between us we had pritty much the majority of tools and a lot of knowledge. The only persons I got in was a sparky and window fitter who both are mates so got it done for next to nothing.

I spent about 30k on materials. Only about 2k on labour as everything was done by me. We have trade accounts everywhere so got everything at cost price. I wanted a top end finish throughout but I reckon if done it on a budget maybe 20k would be enough. Added about 90k in valve to the house. Took me about a year to do though as just didn't have the time. So lived with my parents while I done it.

I'm now in a great position though. Haven't hit 30 and my house is virtually paid for.

Great_Expectations

I am a plumber and my brother is a plasterer. So between us we had pritty much the majority of tools and a lot of knowledge. The only persons I got in was a sparky and window fitter who both are mates so got it done for next to nothing.

I spent about 30k on materials. Only about 2k on labour as everything was done by me. We have trade accounts everywhere so got everything at cost price. I wanted a top end finish throughout but I reckon if done it on a budget maybe 20k would be enough. Added about 90k in valve to the house. Took me about a year to do though as just didn't have the time. So lived with my parents while I done it.

I'm now in a great position though. Haven't hit 30 and my house is virtually paid for.

My Dad can install the kitchen and bathroom, plus between us we know electricians, so hopefully that side of it should be fine.

It's the extension itself that's the concern, we had to offer on the house so quickly our builder hasn't had the chance to actually look at it in person and quote yet. Some scary numbers online when I googled 'kitchen extensions'...worse case we will have to pull out or change plans slightly but I really hope not!

Marty

My Dad can install the kitchen and bathroom, plus between us we know electricians, so hopefully that side of it should be fine.

It's the extension itself that's the concern, we had to offer on the house so quickly our builder hasn't had the chance to actually look at it in person and quote yet. Some scary numbers online when I googled 'kitchen extensions'...worse case we will have to pull out or change plans slightly but I really hope not!

I think £1200 per square meter is about the going rate for the shell of an extension.

Sky_Blue_Daz

how are DTML Landscapes cost wise.... looking to completely re-do garden soon which will be a big job and want to get a few quotes
We had 3 different quotes one from Dtml one from a company who's name I forgot
And one from a lovely character in a transit van who insisted on a £500 deposit

Dtml came recommended from a friend of my wife's I looked at their Facebook page and they had good reviews

We also had the best Astro turf they supplied as we wanted it to be perfect

They did a great job to be honest

dancers lance

I'm not touting for work (as you seem to have these areas covered) but I make and install bespoke kitchens, bedrooms, offices, furniture etc..for a living, I have also completely renovated my own house, which was falling down when we purchased it, i am also in the middle of a rather tricky new build. I have worked with many builders over the years (many of whom I would never recommend or work with again) however, I do have a couple of very trusted people that we work with all the time and I would trust do do anything and at the right price, from entire new builds to extensions.

Great_Expectations

I'm not touting for work (as you seem to have these areas covered) but I make and install bespoke kitchens, bedrooms, offices, furniture etc..for a living, I have also completely renovated my own house, which was falling down when we purchased it, i am also in the middle of a rather tricky new build. I have worked with many builders over the years (many of whom I would never recommend or work with again) however, I do have a couple of very trusted people that we work with all the time and I would trust do do anything and at the right price, from entire new builds to extensions.

We are looking to add an extension to the back of the house and install a new kitchen diner. We have one or two builders in mind, but you can never get too many quotes/opinions, so always open to options.

dancers lance

We are looking to add an extension to the back of the house and install a new kitchen diner. We have one or two builders in mind, but you can never get too many quotes/opinions, so always open to options.
I would recommend that you go and see, in person, completed work buy any builder that you are considering and talk to past clients (any builder worth working with will be more than happy for you to do this) also stick to your budget, talk it through with the builder, ask what you could do to help lower the price? labour is very expensive.

Great_Expectations

Does anyone have any recent experience of converting a front garden into a drive? Both in terms of recommendations and pricing? I know the latter is difficult without dimensions, but I don't have them to hand - roughly I'd say 4mx4m.

Users who are viewing this thread