Next Season (1 Viewer)

Ashdown

Is this the case for 2016-2017 ?

Fleck, Armstrong, Maddison, Murphy, Cole, Stephens, Bigi, Ramage, Fortune, Hunt, Henderson, Cargill, Tudgay, R Johnson..............All either leaving or returning to parent clubs ?!

To Remain : Burge, Reice Charles Cook, C Thomas, C Stokes, A Martin, J Willis, J Finch, Vincelot, K Spence, Kelly's x 2, B Stevenson, I Lawton, Jodi Jones, A Phillips, A Rose, M Lorentzon, R Lameiras ?!

stupot07

Quite a few of them are out of contract at the end if the season too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PlayUpSkyBlues

Yep

Rinse and repeat, this will always be the case when the manager in charge isn't able to build a squad, dont be surprised if we start next season with Bassala Sambou up top and a host of academy players (not saying this as a negative, just a realistic outcome)

Mowbray has to blend the right mix of loan players and Coventry City players othrwise we are merely existing season upon season with no foundations set for any future success

Speedies_Chips

I wouldn't rule us out of acquiring Murphy permanently. He won't get in the the Norwich team even if they are in the Championship.

Otis

Would love to get Jack Stephens back for another season.

I like his calmness and he has good ball retention and he can also play anywhere across the back four.

stupot07

I wouldn't rule us out of acquiring Murphy permanently. He won't get in the the Norwich team even if they are in the Championship.
Can't see that happening, they made him sign a new deal before coming here in the summer, they'll give him another season or so before writing him off.

lifeskyblue

Would love to get Jack Stephens back for another season.

I like his calmness and he has good ball retention and he can also play anywhere across the back four.

Yes I think he is a real prospect. Let's hope we can have him for next season though a championship club may be better for him and his development.

PlayUpSkyBlues

Wouldn't be against this at all, sure it seems his stock has fallen throughout the season and is the definitive 'confidence player' but he has shown me enough times this season that what he can bring when hes on his game far outweighs his negatives

stupot07

All leaving or contracts expiring in the summer:
db58fdd7f50ce28de51271ff699ecbd8.jpg

15b861d2acfd2cc4626099db207b935c.jpg

75f6da689febc05fbf028ea1f13064c7.jpg

Last edited:

stupot07

Those in contract (excl. The kids like Stevenson, sambou, harries, kelly-evans, etc)
fdfda0f277096976a6ed08c58049c042.jpg

2bf29dbd75ae7c7bf0563bd853a8d8fb.jpg

Last edited:

Ashdown

So in short, we practically begin again ?! I liked the look of Jodi Jones last night................not much else ! I'm not sure Mowbray is the right man to succeed at this level. He does try to get the team to play the game in the right style but he just doesn't understand that it's all too high risk with the calibre of players we have. We continually end up giving the ball away in dangerous places and getting bullied by more savvy League 1 type professionals ?! Jones will only shine if we have a decent target man for him to pick out next year.
I don't think TM is the answer at this level, I'm not sure he will want to stay either with this proportion of failure. We started so well for a few months but as soon as it got a bit tougher he panicked and since then we have a completely unsettled side. This all coincided with the loss of Ryan Kent, Maddison's return to fitness and the appalling Joe Cole experiment !

If you take out the Crewe and Bury fluke results, I think we have now scored only 10 goals in 17 games in the last few months.

Couldn't help think last night, the Ricoh with only 10,000 present feels like a reserve night at Highfield Rd, just too big, too far away from the pitch, too few away fans that are too far away. Great stadium, but it wasn't built for this level !

Sky Blue Harry H

This is what has (I believe) been a major contributory factor to our post Christmas slump. The combination of AA's international call ups, the message sent out to the rest of the squad when we sold Maddison and the inclusion of so many loan players cannot have helped TM build a togetherness within the squad. The minute we hit a wobble, it's so easy for players to think 'I'm alright at Norwich/Newcastle/wherever next season' What do you think the family / hangers on are talking to them about - how will City do next season or ' are you looking forward to playing in the Prem/Championship, have you got digs sorted etc. It has to be a HUGE distraction and offers a quick comfort from our current form. The main chance for any success next season will be acquiring players who are signed for at least 2 seasons even if, as fans, we will be wondering why we signed the one legged donkey !!

ccfc_Tom

Think we need to get stokes signed up on at least a 2 year deal then get martin back again next season

PlayUpSkyBlues

This is what has (I believe) been a major contributory factor to our post Christmas slump. The combination of AA's international call ups, the message sent out to the rest of the squad when we sold Maddison and the inclusion of so many loan players cannot have helped TM build a togetherness within the squad. The minute we hit a wobble, it's so easy for players to think 'I'm alright at Norwich/Newcastle/wherever next season' What do you think the family / hangers on are talking to them about - how will City do next season or ' are you looking forward to playing in the Prem/Championship, have you got digs sorted etc. It has to be a HUGE distraction and offers a quick comfort from our current form. The main chance for any success next season will be acquiring players who are signed for at least 2 seasons even if, as fans, we will be wondering why we signed the one legged donkey !!

Always going to be a huge challenge to have loans/out of contracts and build a togetherness.

Seems we have a couple of options, continue down this route and hope Mowbray succeeds next season, or actually commit to a plan. None of this Operation Premiership bullshit, but an actual squad building plan, give me 3 more seasons at League One level with a target and plan in place and I'd be more than happy, start tying down these youngsters to long term deals and start being clever with our acquisitions.

The desperation to add experience in Hunt, Ramage and dare I say Cole has derailed the season

ceetee

I remember a couple of seasons back when we had no chance because our only striking option was an academy lad, Callum Wilson.

More seriously I can't remember a season in the last few years where we didn't have at least half a new squad.

And another point, Stephens can play holding midfield.

PlayUpSkyBlues

I remember a couple of seasons back when we had no chance because our only striking option was an academy lad, Callum Wilson.

More seriously I can't remember a season in the last few years where we didn't have at least half a new squad.

And another point, Stephens can play holding midfield.

Would love an academy lad to mimic Wilson.

Wouldn't love us selling that academy lad after 6months

Otis

It simply cannot hurt loan players as much with struggling sides, and those that may well end up relegated especially.

For a contracted player they want to play at the highest level and must wonder if their future is secure if they go down.

For players like Murphy, they just go back to their parent club or are sent out again to another club.

I think Armstrong seems to have a very good attitude and ethos, but his true loyalty has to be to Newcastle and he knows he is going back to Newcastle.

I'm sure failing as we are, hurts the players, but does it hurt the loan players as much?

Loan players can get recalled, or are only short term. I definitely think they can compliment and improve a team, but you do have to wonder if they have the same desire and loyalty as the permanent players at the club.

oucho

Team currently contracted for next season

Looks quite a lot weaker than a team you could make from the players whose contracts expire in May:

Out of contract XI:
(Keeper), Ramage, Johnson, Ricketts, Laurentzon, Hunt, Cole, Fleck, O'Brien, Tudgay, Henderson
Subs: Fortune, Phillips, C Thomas, Finch
Obviously this excludes the loan players who have been such a big part of our season.

Next season XI:
RCC, Haynes, Willis, Martin, Stokes, Lameiras, Vincelot, Rose, Jones, Gadzhev, G. Thomas
Subs: Burge, Kelly-Evans, Sayoud, Sambou, Harries, Spence, Stevenson

If you were going to renew any of the "out of contract" players, who would you let go? I have a feeling he will keep Ricketts and Fortune, and possibly Reda if he'll accept a pay as you play deal.

Edit - accepting that Cole, JOB and Fleck won't stay. Also that Hunt and Ramage are certain to go. I'm 100% sure Connor Thomas will be binned off finally too, and probably Finch as well.

Last edited:

SkyBlueZack

Earlsdon Sky Blue would go absolutely mad if we signed Murphy! I wouldn't mind though, still needs to improve but there is something to work with.

Otis

Earlsdon Sky Blue would go absolutely mad if we signed Murphy! I wouldn't mind though, still needs to improve but there is something to work with.
I would have wanted him. Not anymore though. Far too many flaws in his game. Think Jones might well look a better prospect.

I wouldn't be against it, but woukd be a bit meh about it.

stupot07

Looks quite a lot weaker than a team you could make from the players whose contracts expire in May:

Out of contract XI:
(Keeper), Ramage, Johnson, Ricketts, Laurentzon, Hunt, Cole, Fleck, O'Brien, Tudgay, Henderson
Subs: Fortune, Phillips, C Thomas, Finch
Obviously this excludes the loan players who have been such a big part of our season.

Next season XI:
RCC, Haynes, Willis, Martin, Stokes, Lameiras, Vincelot, Rose, Jones, Gadzhev, G. Thomas
Subs: Burge, Kelly-Evans, Sayoud, Sambou, Harries, Spence, Stevenson

If you were going to renew any of the "out of contract" players, who would you let go? I have a feeling he will keep Ricketts and Fortune, and possibly Reda if he'll accept a pay as you play deal.

Edit - accepting that Cole, JOB and Fleck won't stay. Also that Hunt and Ramage are certain to go. I'm 100% sure Connor Thomas will be binned off finally too, and probably Finch as well.
Martins out if contract in the summer sub him for harries. And I thought Spence had only signed until the summer

Otis

Just Lorentzson out of that lot.

Basing that though on the fact that I believe JOB has already gone, unless we change the manager.

oucho

Martins out of contract in the summer

Shit - I didn't realise that. Would you keep him?

Just Lorentzson out of that lot.

On the basis that Martin is also out of contact (see below), would you keep him too?

With ML, I don't think he's necessarily earned a new deal but on the other hand TM may be foolish if he gets rid of ML, Ricketts and Phillips (and Ramage) - he probably thinks we could do with some continuity.

SkyBlueZack

When Durham was having a go because of our loan players and claiming that was why we were doing well. People on here were happy that we had finally had some luck with loans and how Mowbrays reputation had helped in this. Fast forward six months. The loan players don't care and Mowbray should be sacked. The form has been abysmal, dire, use what word you want. Some turn around in peoples opinion though. Fans need to be patient or this club will go round in circles forever.

skybluetony176

I think Stokes contract is up at the end of the season and Vincelot is an option rather than a given. Both worth a new contract though IMO.

skybluetony176

Good thing is that we are already building for next season, something we haven't done in a long time. That in itself is an improvement. We'll be well involved in the transfer market during the break I'm sure but unlike last season the back room is sorted so hopefully we already have irons in the fire and can start early enough that we're still not recruting after the season has started (apart from loan signings). We'll definately have to use the loan market although hopefully we won't be so dependant on it next season and hopefully we have some young rough diamonds move forward from the academy.

Feeling more optomistic about next season than any previous for a long time. The fact that we're not in a relegation battle and don't know what league we'll be in next season is also a great help to forward planning.

Otis

Shit - I didn't realise that. Would you keep him?

On the basis that Martin is also out of contact (see below), would you keep him too?

With ML, I don't think he's necessarily earned a new deal but on the other hand TM may be foolish if he gets rid of ML, Ricketts and Phillips (and Ramage) - he probably thinks we could do with some continuity.
Yes. Only went by your initial list.

Woukd definitely keep Martin.

SkyBlueZack

Think we should get Moussa, Baker, McSheffery, JOB back. #reunionsquad

Any other players that didn't want to stay or we didn't want are also welcome.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Wouldn't be against this at all, sure it seems his stock has fallen throughout the season and is the definitive 'confidence player' but he has shown me enough times this season that what he can bring when hes on his game far outweighs his negatives

I think it's the other way round to be honest. Only does something good in a game for about 5 or 10 minutes, only does that about every 10 games. He's been a massive burden on our team for the majority of the season. I reckon he's had about 5 good games, and bordering on 30 appalling ones.

We should probably look elsewhere next season.

Users who are viewing this thread