NHS malware attack (1 Viewer)

Sick Boy

Don't most European countries still charge for treatment upfront and then there is a reclaim of a percentage of the funds and the balance the user has to pay for through an insurance policy or just pay?

This definitely was the case a few years ago and some charge for doctors appointments.

I had to go to A & E in Italy and paid nothing.

RedSalmon

And your reasons for Nissan getting caught out too, criminal underinvestment in their car plants?

No doubt Nissan have cleared it up a damn sight quicker than a lot of the Hospitals have, so they may very well have had better more secure systems..................probably put in place by the SAS!!!!!!

chiefdave

PFI the real reason the NHS budget is overstretched.
That would be PFI first introduced by the Conservatives under Major. The likes of the unions and Corbyn were the ones campaigning against PFI.

Yes its true to say the Blairites loved PFI but when the Conservatives got back in they did the same. 61 PFI initiatives in Osbourne's first year as chancellor despite pledging to stop using PFI while in opposition.

Not to mention the £1bn wasted when the coalition, according to the Commons spending watchdog, by failing to negotiate decent deals.

CJ_covblaze

Did you have your EHIC card with you?

When I broke and dislocated my ankle during a tourney I played in I didn't need to show my EHIC. Didn't even occur to me until I got home. Think it was just dealt with via my insurers.

fernandopartridge

When people talk about the NHS, they tend to see it as one huge organisation.

It's problem is, it isn't. It's hundreds of NHS Trusts (Acute, Community and Mental Health), hundreds of Clinical Commissioning Groups and thousands of GP practices. As well as private providers of NHS services (Virgin Care, Care UK etc etc).

Due to being hundreds of separate entities, they tend to use different hardware and software, and some Trusts just can't afford to upgrade IT.

Captain Dart

Yes, a Tory / New Labour disgrace. I worked for a Trust who were looking to get out of their PFI deal through some sort of early pay off.
That has to be the way forward, the new government has to be brutal with these PFI companies, they've skimmed enough cream, next step tell them deal or we will no longer do business with you, no more government contracts.

Captain Dart

chiefdave

Sick Boy

No need for me to explain it. Look at things like the department of health's study into mental health and the arts, or the use of art in psychotherapy or may similar types of studies and treatments. Just because something contains the word art doesn't mean its someone hanging a picture on the wall for the sake of it.

I that you're wasting your time here.

chiefdave

Explain NHS Art Coordinators - salary up to £56,000
Cash-poor NHS spends millions on art - despite cuts that led to
Curiosity got the better of me and I decide to have a look at the claims thrown around in that article. It starts off by saying campaigners object to purchases of art worth up to £5m and the NHS is spending millions of pounds on art,

The actual figure 89 trusts have spent £1,894,278 on art in 3 years. So an average of £7,095 per trust per year. Doesn't seem unreasonable unless you think every NHS building should look as depressing as possible.

Article moves on to giving some examples:

£8,000 steel giraffes at Tameside Hospital in Greater Manchester - this was part of a £112m project so a minute percentage of the budget. Its the centrepiece at the entrance of the childrens unit and the design was picked by local school children.

£83,000 water feature at Salford Royal - this appears to be a baby memorial garden funded by the Booth Charities along with public donations.

£120,000 “ceiling artwork” at Barts and Royal London - part of a refurb of the childrens ward, paid for by Vital Arts who are charitably funded to deliver arts projects for the wellbeing of patients, staff and the wider hospital community.

Couldn't find anything about the others but it shows that things in the media shouldn't be taken at face value.

Users who are viewing this thread