Nintendo unveils new console (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

_53296608_012167982-1.jpg

Gaming giant Nintendo has been showing off its next-generation Wii game console, at the E3 games show in Los Angeles.

The much-anticipated console, dubbed Wii U, comes with a controller that features a touchscreen and camera.

The original Wii console was hugely popular but Nintendo has faced pressure from rivals with similar devices.

Nintendo hopes the new console will create a new genre of gaming.

Wii U will feature a set-top box similar to the first generation console.

But the 6.2-inch touchscreen controller comes with a front-facing camera as well as the more traditional buttons of a Wii remote and a motion detector.

It will broadcast high-definition video and can be used to make video calls and browse the web.

In demos, the Japanese gaming giant showed off some of the things the controller will allow - including offering users a private screen to view gameplay information that is not shared on the big screen.

It will also allow users of games such as Wii Fit to weigh themselves and get a read-out via the controller rather than the TV.

Users can also swap game play between the big screen and the controller, for instance if someone else wants to watch TV.

Wii U is "an interesting new concept" thinks Dan Pearson, a staff writer at Gamesindustry.biz.

"It is a hybrid between a handheld with elements of tablet design but also has all the traditional controller elements," he said.

"Initially people may be confused by the controller but so were they when the first Wii was unveiled," he said.
Nintendo was also keen to show off the processing power of the new console.

"Nintendo has been under fire for chasing casual gamers and it is good to see them trying to win back core gamers,"
said Mr Pearson.

Wii U will work with older games and controllers and will be available from spring 2012.

There was no indication of the price of the new console.

MatthewWallis

its just a massive DS, i think Nintendo will always be behind Sony and Microsoft now

Jimthor

its just a massive DS, i think Nintendo will always be behind Sony and Microsoft now

I'm pretty sure Nintendo are now worth more than Sony. And that's the whole of Sony too, not just their games department, which is pretty huge considering all Nintendo do is games...

Marty

It looks kinda weird, the 2 analog sticks are in the wrong place, looks like it's going to be akward to use.

Nintendo will always be behind the likes of Sony & Mircosoft in terms of graphics and gameplay, but fair play to nintendo as they pritty much have the handheld market as their own.

Sky Blue Sheepy

This isnt handheld tho. The controller links into the main console and wont function without - but as mention you can move the screen from the tv to controller when needed. I like it lol

Marty

This isnt handheld tho. The controller links into the main console and wont function without - but as mention you can move the screen from the tv to controller when needed. I like it lol

so the controller only works with the console but they have put a screen into the control pad so you switch between the TV and the controller screen?? seems kinda pointless.

Sky Blue Sheepy

so the controller only works with the console but they have put a screen into the control pad so you switch between the TV and the controller screen?? seems kinda pointless.

Pretty much - it's more than that tho. In games like FPS's you get your own Hi-Def screen rather everyone being able to see your screen on the same TV, it also displays things like Weight etc on Wii Fit or that sorta thing. Also means if ur in your room, you can have the console on downstairs and play upstairs. Does seem pointless at first but I imagine it has its uses

Marty

It does sound like it has some good features, like everyone has there own screen for FPS, but a controller with a hi def screen isn't going to be cheap + you have to pay for the console to start with. Would they off been better off making it a handheld with a HDMI port for the tv??

Users who are viewing this thread