North and South (1 Viewer)

oucho

Have been looking forward to the big reveal of the new fixtures with more than the usual enthusiasm. This is partly because I just bought a car and partly because I'm moving out of London to Lincolnshire, and so will be much closer to a lot of grounds (or so I thought).

I pulled up a map of the League Two grounds for next season, expecting it to show a heavy northern bias. If anything, the opposite seems to be true:

North and South.PNG

Other than Cov, bang in the middle, there is a definitely a split between the southern grounds and those in the “north”, although of the 10 grounds in the “north” I’d argue that only 4 are in the “true north” because Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Lincolnshire and Staffordshire, which account for Notts County, Mansfield, Chesterfield, Grimsby, Lincoln and Port Vale, are actually Midlands counties. The map does show though that they are “northern” compared to the rest of the clubs.

I do wonder if this is the most “south west” heavy season we have ever had – if you lump Newport, just over the border, into “south west” then you have 6 clubs down there. No London days other than Barnet which is barely on the tube and inside the M25 (unless we get a cup game or another Wembley appearance, of course).

For me though it's not all bad news as at least half the grounds will be within easy reach of my new house (down the M1/M11 to Barnet/Stevenage/Cambridge/Luton, Lincoln, Grimsby, or west to Notts, Mansfield or Chesterfield), or from my mum's house in Cheshire (just down the road from Vale and Crewe, an hour from Accrington and Morecambe) and driveable to Carlisle.

Also, have got family in South Wales so would be good combine trips to Newport, FGR, Swindon etc to away days there. My dad lives in Marlow just up the road from Wycombe so that's another easy one.

There are also some places which would be good for a weekend away such as Exeter, Yeovil and Colchester (don't laugh at the latter, had a day out there recently and it's very nice).

All in all, looking forward to it - can't see a crap away day with the possible exception of Crawley....

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Seems extremely spread out to me.

Started up my own team for next season so won't be going to many CCFC games at all.

When does the fixture list actually come out?

Nick

Administrator
A bit rubbish for "local derbies".

The Notts area ones aren't too bad though looking at that.

At least we aren't Carlisle :)

jordan210

I have just moved to Hampshire.

So was hoping pompy would not have got promoted looks like Swindon is the closest to me again. (moved from Oxfordshire)

But Yeovil is just over an hour away so that can be one of my big days out. If on a Saturday

oucho

I have just moved to Hampshire.

So was hoping pompy would not have got promoted looks like Swindon is the closest to me again. (moved from Oxfordshire)

But Yeovil is just over an hour away so that can be one of my big days out. If on a Saturday

Not a million miles from Crawley.....unfortunately for you!

Liquid Gold

Great for me in Bristol. League 1 is more northern I always felt so this is a decent change.

When is the fixture list released?

Alkhen

looks pretty Northern to me.. but then im a Stroudie and anything north of Cheltenham is basically Scotland for me :)

oucho

looks pretty Northern to me.. but then im a Stroudie and anything north of Cheltenham is basically Scotland for me :)

Maybe an optical illusion....excluding Cov bang in the centre, only 10 are in the "north" including the Midlands, and only 4 are in the real north - Crewe, Accrington, Morecambe and Carlisle.

13 are in the south, including Newport.

Speedies_Chips

Have been looking forward to the big reveal of the new fixtures with more than the usual enthusiasm. This is partly because I just bought a car and partly because I'm moving out of London to Lincolnshire, and so will be much closer to a lot of grounds (or so I thought).

I pulled up a map of the League Two grounds for next season, expecting it to show a heavy northern bias. If anything, the opposite seems to be true:

View attachment 7600

Other than Cov, bang in the middle, there is a definitely a split between the southern grounds and those in the “north”, although of the 10 grounds in the “north” I’d argue that only 4 are in the “true north” because Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Lincolnshire and Staffordshire, which account for Notts County, Mansfield, Chesterfield, Grimsby, Lincoln and Port Vale, are actually Midlands counties. The map does show though that they are “northern” compared to the rest of the clubs.

I do wonder if this is the most “south west” heavy season we have ever had – if you lump Newport, just over the border, into “south west” then you have 6 clubs down there. No London days other than Barnet which is barely on the tube and inside the M25 (unless we get a cup game or another Wembley appearance, of course).

For me though it's not all bad news as at least half the grounds will be within easy reach of my new house (down the M1/M11 to Barnet/Stevenage/Cambridge/Luton, Lincoln, Grimsby, or west to Notts, Mansfield or Chesterfield), or from my mum's house in Cheshire (just down the road from Vale and Crewe, an hour from Accrington and Morecambe) and driveable to Carlisle.

Also, have got family in South Wales so would be good combine trips to Newport, FGR, Swindon etc to away days there. My dad lives in Marlow just up the road from Wycombe so that's another easy one.

There are also some places which would be good for a weekend away such as Exeter, Yeovil and Colchester (don't laugh at the latter, had a day out there recently and it's very nice).

All in all, looking forward to it - can't see a crap away day with the possible exception of Crawley....

I can foresee plenty of crap away days !!!

oucho

Woodstock is in Oxfordshire, not Gloucestershire.

Astute

At least I am OK at my local game at Carlisle :smuggrin:

Astute

I'm looking forward to Accrington. Have a Google maps 'look' around their stadium. Its hilarious.
It is one of the grounds I am looking forward to visiting. We will be visiting some clubs that the only pot to piss in they have is what they call a toilet. Some will be in for a surprise.

oucho

I'm looking forward to Accrington. Have a Google maps 'look' around their stadium. Its hilarious.
I've been there for a game. The away end toilets would shame a village cricket club. It's proper non-league as a ground.

oucho

lets not be too quick on that one. it holds more than the butts

What's that got to do with us? We don't play at the Butts and we never have (and IMO we never will, let's hope not anyway). The Ricoh is probably the biggest, shiniest all-seated ground to grace League Two ever....if anything that's more a sign of our demise than anything, but at least we have a stadium to be proud of (even if we do not own it).

oucho

Away end holds around 2000 surprisingly. Wouldn't be a bad first game of the season trip
Unless it rains - it is an uncovered concrete terrace like Yeovil.

Users who are viewing this thread