"Nothing in particular " games that linger in the memory...... (1 Viewer)

Hobo

Bedworth United v Worcester City.....I was about 14, keen to spread my wings and tick off grounds, God I was fucking board that afternoon!!!

Terry Gibson's perm

It must be a Bradford thing because I always remember the 0-0 draw against them when they brought about 50 fans on bonfire night and literally the biggest cheers of the game were for the fireworks going off!!

It must be I also remember that awful game as well and couldn't decide which of the horrors to go for:facepalm:

superskyblue

Two final games of the season-winning 2-1 at Burnley when Jay Tabb scored the winner, and 1-0 at Stoke when Adebola got us a top 10 finish. The latter was memorable for Stoke announcing that Carl Hoefkens was player of the year as according to about half a dozen different Stoke supporters' clubs.

Haha yes I recall that. It was the same day as an FA Cup Semi at Old Trafford and I remember the services on the M6 being flooded with Chelsea fans. My dad's back window got smashed in as he had a Coventry sticker in it. Happy days.

bigfatronssba

Blackburn at home September/October 1996. They were bottom of the league.

Finished 0-0, game was so poor both sets of fans were singing "what a load of rubbish".

Can't exactly say I was glad I went, but it sticks in my mind.

Gosford Green

Spurs away 85/86. It was a wet and cold dark January day as we drove down the M1 in a gold Talbot Tagora. We had just sold Terry Gibson and got Alan Brazil instead, Don Mackays team was in a rut and were expecting a hiding and our hopes was not helped by some Spurs fans in the pub before saying Hoddle and Waddle were on fire and it would be thumping for the city.

The pitch was like a ploughed field, Waddle was not at all up for it and Hoddle never got a kick due to Lloyd McGrath never being more than 2 feet from him all game. Alan Brazil was our star man and with the score on 0-0 with 10 minutes left he put Regis through to score. Spurs then huffed and puffed but we held on.

The world was suddenly a lot better place. We floated back to car and with the heater on full pelt we eagerly tuned in to hear the City make the BBC sports report headlines.

Cant say why but this is one of my best city days out.

Gazolba

I don't remember the exact year (1960's) or the opposing team but we played a mid-winter evening game in the bitter cold at Highfield Road. The pitch was covered in snow (with ice underneath I suspect). All the groundsmen could do was to scrape the snow off the lines and sprinkle sand near the goalmouths. As I remember it was also somewhat foggy. The game was farcical with players sliding all over the place but me and my Dad stood on the terraces watching it and I think we won so we went home happy. A game would never be played in those conditions today.

Cov kid 55

Snow

I don't remember the exact year (1960's) or the opposing team but we played a mid-winter evening game in the bitter cold at Highfield Road. The pitch was covered in snow (with ice underneath I suspect). All the groundsmen could do was to scrape the snow off the lines and sprinkle sand near the goalmouths. As I remember it was also somewhat foggy. The game was farcical with players sliding all over the place but me and my Dad stood on the terraces watching it and I think we won so we went home happy. A game would never be played in those conditions today.

I was at a night match in the 60's, very snowy, I think Bobby Gould scored a hatrick in the first half. The following day one of the national papers had a headline '999 but no help for.....' and showing a picture of the H R scoreboard. Just can't remember the team we played. Could have been that game?

Cov kid 55

I was at a night match in the 60's, very snowy, I think Bobby Gould scored a hatrick in the first half. The following day one of the national papers had a headline '999 but no help for.....' and showing a picture of the H R scoreboard. Just can't remember the team we played. Could have been that game?

Cov kid 55

It was Ipswich at home on a Friday night, we ended up winning 5 - 0 in the championship season 1966/67. Ring any bells? Freezing cold night, didn't matter, brilliant home performance!

phildownunder

An away game at Middlesboro in 1996 on a visit to Blighty. Went with a mate on the coach. Saw B Richardson and G Robinson and returned their smiles (well I Didn`t know then what I know now).
The game ? We were shocking, hardly troubled their GK. Every time Ravellini (hope I`ve got that right) got the ball our defence parted like the red sea in front of him. I remember us agreeing afterwards that Dublin should have been charged admission like the rest of us for all the contribution he made that day.

LastGarrison

Burnley away, last game of the season early 2000's.

Had been on a Stag Doo in Blackpool and still in our drunken haze me and my brother blagged our mates to drop us in Burnley for the game.

We were there early so popped into Yates' for a pint and a bit of breakie. Slowly it started filling up with more and more Burnley "Lads" and we began to realise it was probably their main boozer!! Always, remember Raf and a few of the young lads trying to get in but Raf had a blue Cov jumper on with the badge bang in the middle so he was politely denied entry by the bouncers. Sure they shut down the pub the next year when a young Forest lad was killed outside there.

Got into the game and the only memorable thing was that Gazza was playing for them and for the last 5 minutes Lee Hughes followed him everywhere!! All became obvious why when the final whistle went and he instantly swapped shirts!!

Got outside and the realisation hit us that it was a Sunday and we were hanging with no way of getting home!! Fair play to the small Cov chap who always wears the blazer and runs the official coaches (don't know his name) but he said the coaches were full but he'd do his best to squeeze us on and true to his word he did!! Still owe him a pint for that!

hutch1972

One of my personal favourites was around 78ish when we beat man u 4-3.
Tommy hutch scored early and it turned out to be a thriller.
Also around that time we beat man city 4-2, they were top of the league but we caned them.
Neither of these games ever get much of a mention but to me fantastic memories.

City 2-3 West Ham cup semi final 1st leg HR . I was gutted
Why was you gutted ? We won 3-2

Dead right Hutch. Was definitely gutted after the second leg though! Bloody Jimmy Neighbour! Wouldn't put either game in the 'Nothing in particular' category anyway. It was a League Cup semi-final for God's sake!!!

torchomatic

An Ipswich away game in the mid 80s, Bank Holiday Monday. Can't remember the score. However, on the way we stopped at a Little Chef and these two blokes (didn't recognise them) said they would buy our lunch as they were directors of CCFC and anyone who went all that way on a Bank Holiday Monday deserved something.

Nice of them. Can't remember anything about the game though.

Gazolba

It was Ipswich at home on a Friday night, we ended up winning 5 - 0 in the championship season 1966/67. Ring any bells? Freezing cold night, didn't matter, brilliant home performance!
Do you have the exact date of the match? I might be able to find it in an old diary.

Sky Blue Harry H

Wow where do I start.

In the early 80's beating Sunderland 6-1 at home on a cold Tuesday night.
Preston at home a few years back when we won 2-1 to go top of the Championship, when Doyle scored a screamer (sadly we lost the next game 3-0 at home to Brizzle)
Beating Sheff Utd 1-0 at Bramall Lane in the early 90's when I was a student there. I think Bugsy scored a penalty. An absoloute shite game, but my mate who was with me was a Middlesborough fan, and couldnt believe our fans booed one of our own players (Paul Edwards) before kick off, although he was useless. I was embarrassed but it introduced him to the typical depression of a Midlands football supporter.

That 6-1 game involved City supporters on the kop singing (honestly!!) "Who's that tw*t in the dungarees" at a Sunderland fan who was giving it some. Well funny, as he got madder, the more they sang it.

Sky Blue Harry H

beating spurs to stay up can't remember the year tho

I drove a minibus that day. We got attacked in the park after the game. Our minibus had its tyres let down. I went in a local corner shop to ring the police, as one of our mates had been hurt, and after the woman reluctantly let me borrow the phone, I was put through to Scotland Yard !!! Some police turned up to help us change our tyres, to escape from a local housing estate and after we got away.........stuck (literally) on a motorway full of p**ssed off relegated Sunderland fans. Cov fans had already got back (no flat tyres!) and the lads on my minibus were giving it large to Mackems (ok when traffic is moving...not when it stops) I refused to stop at services to let them off for a slash (best decision ever), but pulled off at a junction to let them go in a hedge. Well happy to get back to the pub in Coventry for match of the day and several beers !!!!!

henry the wasp

Away at oxford. I'm sure they had John Aldridge and Ray Houghton in the side. We lost 2-0, they may even have both scored? This is mid 80s.
Anyway, does anyone remember those half and half ski hats that people used to wear? One of our fans has got a cov/rangers hat and another one of our fans has a cov/celtic hat. They proceed to try and knock ten bells out of each other, the pair of divs. It was more entertaining than the game.

torchomatic

I went to that. I think it was that one. I remember parking in nearby streets and reversing into another car as I tried to get out of my parking space. I was an inexperienced driver at the time. Never left a note or anything obviously.

Away at oxford. I'm sure they had John Aldridge and Ray Houghton in the side. We lost 2-0, they may even have both scored? This is mid 80s.
Anyway, does anyone remember those half and half ski hats that people used to wear? One of our fans has got a cov/rangers hat and another one of our fans has a cov/celtic hat. They proceed to try and knock ten bells out of each other, the pair of divs. It was more entertaining than the game.

Nick

Administrator
I went to that. I think it was that one. I remember parking in nearby streets and reversing into another car as I tried to get out of my parking space. I was an inexperienced driver at the time. Never left a note or anything obviously.

I went to this game too, I remember we got back to the car and somebody had reversed into our car. My dad went mental. The Cavalier was dented :(

torchomatic

Was it a gold one?

torchomatic

Sure that was another bastard then. The one I "bumped" was Gold as there was paint on my car for a few years afterwards. I used to drive Citroens in those days. This one was a big estate like a hearse. No wonder I struggled to park it.

attachment.php

*Not my actual car.

I think it was grey. I don't know, I was probably about 3 :)

Attachments

• citroen-cx-estate-11.jpg
    citroen-cx-estate-11.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 4
  • citroen_cx_pdx.jpg
    citroen_cx_pdx.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
My clearest memory of HR is being about 13 and stood in the queue for a ticket ( was outside the door). A Sheff United fan came legging it over and absolutely one bombed the bloke behind me and then legged it. Can't remember the actual game though.

torchomatic

Similar thing happened to us after a Spurs game at HR. We were walking around from the West End and walking past the kop entrance when this Spurs fan pushed between us and smacked this bloke in the face. He had just been walking next to us minding his own business, etc.

Football was a lot scarier in those days, not sure I would have taken my lad then.

My clearest memory of HR is being about 13 and stood in the queue for a ticket ( was outside the door). A Sheff United fan came legging it over and absolutely one bombed the bloke behind me and then legged it. Can't remember the actual game though.

skybluelee

No idea why I remember this as I wasn't there but Cyrille had 2 goals disallowed. Cup winning season.

James Smith

I remember the 1998 quarter final where the Blades came to Highfield Road and earned themselves a replay in the last minute of the period beyond extra time. Drowned my sorrows with the odd drink or three on the way home with people telling me that we were unlikely to be that unlucky again. So went to Bramall Lane for the replay and they equalised in the same manner. We then subsequently lost on penalties and I felt the whole thing was so bloody unfair and they'd had more than their fair share of luck.

Was supposed to go a game at Highfield Road around that time that I never made it to because of the trains being ballsed and ended up listening to five live on the way who weren't covering the game. Got off at Leamington to hear the last 15 minutes of the match on CWR. Then went down under the tracks and got onto the other platform to get the train back down south.

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I remember the atmosphere at the Simod Cup semi final against Reading. There was a huge fence to our left as we stood behind the goal. Their fans were trying to scale a large fence to get at us and were complete nutters.

oscillatewildly

I remember the atmosphere at the Simod Cup semi final against Reading. There was a huge fence to our left as we stood behind the goal. Their fans were trying to scale a large fence to get at us and were complete nutters.
Everyone's capable of being a 'complete nutter' when there's the tricky issue of a large fence to be scaled.

Users who are viewing this thread