Now , here's a personal question ... (1 Viewer)

Bob Latchford

Have you ever had to change a family member's mind , from supporting another team ie Man Utd ,Liverpool, Chelsea ,Arsenal etc ??? rather than following CCFC ???

Nick

Administrator
Daughter put a villa book in the trolley for a joke once! Thought it was hilarious.

Even more worrying is her school is all about netball and hockey, won't be long until a netball team is sending tickets home. Already seen a rugger bugger there in a wasps hat.

Bob Latchford

Yep my lad has had to stand his ground at school on many occasions. Strong city fan which is great
Sorry Pete , I mean more in context of you, I assume being a CCFC fan , having to change a family member's mind , to ensure they follow CCFC ?

Astute

Have you ever had to change a family member's mind , from supporting another team ie Man Utd ,Liverpool, Chelsea ,Arsenal etc ??? rather than following CCFC ???
I have allowed my older lads to support their local sides. But their best games were at HR. Preferred them to any game watching their own sides. One even kept up with his season ticket when they dropped out of the league. He could have continued to go to CCFC games with me that he admits is much more fun.

Left nothing to risk with my youngest lad. His initials are CCFC and I only take him to CCFC games. He has several CCFC tops and is proud to wear them. And he thinks that we have the best team in the world :woot:

Joelly

Cousin started coming up with us to the Ricoh.
Live in manchester and when he was 9 city signed robinho, and he got the home shirt with his name on the back.

Hasnt been back to cov since

In fairness doesnt actually go and watch city either, prefers tennis and cricket to football.

Brylowes

My wife's from Hackney and comes from a long line of gooners, I have successfully Brainwashed
her into a life of SkyBlue, though I'm not convinced she was ever really committed.
For eg:
We ran a pub, and she came through the bar to find we were busy with all eyes firmly fixed on
The TVs.
Oh she said 'is there a game on tonight"
Yes love, it's Arsenal,
Oh Arsenal 'I used to like them din 'I
You did'
Is it a big game then, we're quite busy.
Yeah it's quite big, it's the European Cup Final, against Real Madrid.
Oh never mind, I only really liked it when they played proper teams.

So I'm not sure this counts.:)

baldy

I'm a brummy but my bro lives in Coventry & his young lad has often been dragged to go watch Blues with my bro in the hope that he might grow up supporting that rabble
He's got the hint now that my nephew's not really into footy that much...it's a good job really cuz the young kid's always said that his local team's,quite rightly,Cov anyway...haha

Brylowes

I'm a brummy but my bro lives in Coventry & his young lad has often been dragged to go watch Blues with my bro in the hope that he might grow up supporting that rabble
He's got the hint now that my nephew's not really into footy that much...it's a good job really cuz the young kid's always said that his local team's,quite rightly,Cov anyway...haha
I suppose with the choice of CCFC or BCFC it's almost a gift from the Gods
To have no interest in football.;)

Bob Latchford

R yow a Brummy or a yow Brummie ?

JulianDarbyFTW

My daughter sadly hates football. Yet she knows every word to the Sky Blue Song and sings it with me as if her little heart will burst with pride. I reckon if I keep badgering her she'll eventually give in and resign herself to four-score years of disappointment, just like her old dad.

Cranfield Sky Blue

My eldest lad "supported" Arsenal. The younger chose a Man Utd shirt. Then I took them to a game at Highfield Road, when I split from the ex..... Boom! Sky Blue through and through! Still go to games 20 years later with my oldest!

PUSB

Hobo

Daughter put a villa book in the trolley for a joke once! Thought it was hilarious.

Even more worrying is her school is all about netball and hockey, won't be long until a netball team is sending tickets home. Already seen a rugger bugger there in a wasps hat.

If your kids are under 16 Nick you can take them to Coventry Rugby for free as long as they are accompanied by an adult, so would need to take the wife as well ;-)

covcity4life

yes my little cousin, changed him from spurs(who i nearly supported too) to cov

and he doesnt let me forget it.......

bringbackrattles

Going slightly off the thread a little when I was a kid I wore my City kit with pride. I'd play over the local fields and pretend to be Hudson or Rees while other kids were Best or Law. My dad brought me up as a City fan and I've done the same with my sons. I walk through the city centre and see lots of people wearing Celtic,Chelsea,Man Utd,Arsenal,and even Barcelona shirts,and have had strange looks because I've got a Cov top on and not a Premier League one. Fuck em I love my club and always will.

Manchester_sky_blue

My Kids are 4 and 1 so not really come up against this issue yet. It's going to be tricky as my Wife is a Forest Fan and we now live in the Northern end of the Peak District. We frequently go back to Cov to visit family and so i can go to games but they aren't going to get that week in week out experience of following the team. Glossop North End is our local non-league side and they are a brilliant, well run club who are slowly climbing up towards the Conference, so i could probably accept it if my kids grow up supporting them. The danger is our proximity to Manchester, most people in our Village and surrounding areas follow Man U or Man City.

Nick

Administrator
Going slightly off the thread a little when I was a kid I wore my City kit with pride. I'd play over the local fields and pretend to be Hudson or Rees while other kids were Best or Law. My dad brought me up as a City fan and I've done the same with my sons. I walk through the city centre and see lots of people wearing Celtic,Chelsea,Man Utd,Arsenal,and even Barcelona shirts,and have had strange looks because I've got a Cov top on and not a Premier League one. Fuck em I love my club and always will.

Same as that, comeback was always "Did you have a good day out at old trafford on Saturday then?" and they would shut up.

skybluebeduff

Whilst I lived in Driffield, East Yorkshire during my G.C.S.E years I went to quite a few games at Boothferry Park to watch Hull, one in particual was against Rochdale and I use to think "God this is shit compared to watching Cov at HR".

Little did I know what was to come to my team and the rise of Hull City :(

I use to like to watch Scarborough F.C too at the McCain Stadium, was even a ball boy there once, so it's nice to see they've created a phoenix club and back on the rise, horrendous that they play in Bridlington though!

covey198701

I have twin boys both of which have been brought up the correct sky blue way until they became mates with an older lad up the road who is a scouser. Unfortunately one of the boys got his head turned and he did start following the "pool" for a short while although thankfully not for long and he soon returned to the SBA. He did pay a penalty for his turning to the red side as he missed our trip to Old Trafford in the league cup :( something he regrets and we remind him off when necessary.

Otis

Lloyd McGrath said on CWR the other day that it used to be that a lot of kids coming through his academy would be Sky Blue fans, but that nowadays nearly every one of the kids is a fan of a big Premier club and hardly any are City fans.

That's the next generation and one obvious downside of life in League One.

Bob Latchford

My own personal dealings with this type of [TREACHERY] only happened once and , for 15 seconds at the most . it's back when Man Utd were unstoppable. Son to me , dad , can I support Man Utd ? now bearing in mind I've been home and away , bought merchandise over a 30 year period at this point - I looked at him with total rage and said .... no ! end of conversation. he now attends many games although it's difficult and , has a decent collection of merchandise.

Bob Latchford

Fully get this . although I no longer live in the city. always have a cov top on at some point during the day. have had to defend the badges honour on a few occasions too. #PUSB

Bob Latchford

I have twin boys both of which have been brought up the correct sky blue way until they became mates with an older lad up the road who is a scouser. Unfortunately one of the boys got his head turned and he did start following the "pool" for a short while although thankfully not for long and he soon returned to the SBA. He did pay a penalty for his turning to the red side as he missed our trip to Old Trafford in the league cup :( something he regrets and we remind him off when necessary.
Damn fine parenting sir !

Skyblueweeman

When I was raised in NI, I was raised as Liverpool and Rangers. My old dear then remarried when I was young and my step father supported Cov. As I was a nipper, I switched from Liverpool to Cov.

What a switch...

Brylowes

My son and nephew are City through and through even though they weren't born In the area,
me and my brother started taking them when they were young, it's this that gets them hooked.

Through all the shit the club has gone through, this is one of my major concerns.
We have lost and are losing thousands of potential fans, fans that are the very
Future of this club.

tom88

Well that was disappointing. I was expecting a question like what's your fave sex position or have you ever had a three some

Manchester_sky_blue

My son and nephew are City through and through even though they weren't born In the area,
me and my brother started taking them when they were young, it's this that gets them hooked.

Through all the shit the club has gone through, this is one of my major concerns.
We have lost and are losing thousands of potential fans, fans that are the very
Future of this club.

What age did you first take your Son to a game if you don't mind me asking?

Brylowes

What age did you first take your Son to a game if you don't mind me asking?
He would have been 5, took my daughter early last season when she was just 4, she Did her best to show
her enthusiasm for me and her big brother, but couldn't hide her Disappointment when we told her at HT
Its not over 2nd half to go yet. Bless her;)

Manchester_sky_blue

He would have been 5, took my daughter early last season when she was just 4, she Did her best to show
her enthusiasm for me and her big brother, but couldn't hide her Disappointment when we told her at HT
Its not over 2nd half to go yet. Bless her;)

My Son has just turned 4 and i don't think his attention span would last the first half let alone the full 90. Maybe next season :) Cheers for the info

Brylowes

My Son has just turned 4 and i don't think his attention span would last the first half let alone the full 90. Maybe next season :) Cheers for the info
We don't live in the area, when I took my daughter we were in Cov staying with friends, me the wife
Son and daughter all went but with the plan my wife would take her out if she didn't like it.

Manchester_sky_blue

We don't live in the area, when I took my daughter we were in Cov staying with friends, me the wife
Son and daughter all went but with the plan my wife would take her out if she didn't like it.

We are in the same boat, living in North Derbyshire but travel back to Cov frequently to visit my Grandmother and the Wifes parents and Brother. I generally go to games with my Brother-in-law and his Wife.

italiahorse

Daughter became a Villa fan along with an old boyfriend. When they fell out I took her up the city.
She was so impressed she took up rugby and never came again.

Brother became a Derby fan as when he got interested in watching football Derby when they won something.
Persuaded him to come up the city about 20 years ago and he was a season ticket holder until this year.
Never uses my ticket though when I can't make it.

Users who are viewing this thread