Now , here's a personal question ... (1 Viewer)

letsallsingtogether

Never worn an English shirt other than ccfc or England. Had Ajax and barca as a kid.

Would feel dirty
I wore an England shirt too once I also felt dirty;)

Cov kid 55

Going slightly off the thread a little when I was a kid I wore my City kit with pride. I'd play over the local fields and pretend to be Hudson or Rees while other kids were Best or Law. My dad brought me up as a City fan and I've done the same with my sons. I walk through the city centre and see lots of people wearing Celtic,Chelsea,Man Utd,Arsenal,and even Barcelona shirts,and have had strange looks because I've got a Cov top on and not a Premier League one. Fuck em I love my club and always will.

Great post - I was football mad from as soon as I could walk, and my dad(who was a rugby man) bought me a Wolves shirt - they were the team at the start of the sixties. Then I pestered him to take me to the City and my first game was at home to Sunderland in the FA Cup in 1963 (with my Grandad who was from Sunderland, but supported City on the night), then Manchester United in the 6th round. My first league game was against Halifax, a 5-4 home win. I was well and truly committed! Shortly afterwards the Wolves kit was consigned to the bin (they are, after all, the real enemy!) I then got a Cov strip, and I was always Willie Carr. My brother, who was a few years younger than me, started to support City, but then watched Chelsea beat Leeds in the 1970 FA Cup final, and guess what happened?? He's been an embarrassing, not proper football supporter since then!

bringbackrattles

Great post - I was football mad from as soon as I could walk, and my dad(who was a rugby man) bought me a Wolves shirt - they were the team at the start of the sixties. Then I pestered him to take me to the City and my first game was at home to Sunderland in the FA Cup in 1963 (with my Grandad who was from Sunderland, but supported City on the night), then Manchester United in the 6th round. My first league game was against Halifax, a 5-4 home win. I was well and truly committed! Shortly afterwards the Wolves kit was consigned to the bin (they are, after all, the real enemy!) I then got a Cov strip, and I was always Willie Carr. My brother, who was a few years younger than me, started to support City, but then watched Chelsea beat Leeds in the 1970 FA Cup final, and guess what happened?? He's been an embarrassing, not proper football supporter since then!
That Halifax match was Hudson's debut and he got a hat-trick and became a hero from then on. Great days !

Cov kid 55

That Halifax match was Hudson's debut and he got a hat-trick and became a hero from then on. Great days !

Sure was a great time to start supporting your home town club. I consider myself lucky to have seen some great times at Highfield Road, and sympathise with our young fans who are having a very different experience. Respect to them for keeping the faith.

bringbackrattles

Sure was a great time to start supporting your home town club. I consider myself lucky to have seen some great times at Highfield Road, and sympathise with our young fans who are having a very different experience. Respect to them for keeping the faith.
Looking back when my dad started taking to matches the timing was spot on,as we were flying with Hudson,Rees,Humphries, Curtis, and Glazier in goal putting in great performances week in and week out.
Highfield Road was rocking every home game with us kids down the front of the Kop with our rattles,and we were smashing teams on our way up. Like you say youngsters now haven't experienced that feeling and that is tough.

Manchester_sky_blue

I just about remember '87 (i was 6). I can remember some good wins at Highfield Road and obviously i was at Old Trafford to see us beat Man Utd 2-0 and the cup win over Blackburn but it's fair to say i've not seen much glory!

bringbackrattles

I just about remember '87 (i was 6). I can remember some good wins at Highfield Road and obviously i was at Old Trafford to see us beat Man Utd 2-0 and the cup win over Blackburn but it's fair to say i've not seen much glory!
I was at these games you mention so once again I have been fortunate in being there when we've had success etc.
My youngest son was little in 87 and barely remembers our trophy win,and didn't fancy going to Old Trafford that night as he thought we'd get thrashed. So I've told him grasp any hint of something good about to happen with the Sky Blues as you may regret it !

Users who are viewing this thread