objections... (1 Viewer)

Colin1883

If new owners come in and want to re-franchise the club, what you object to them changing and why?

wingy

That would be most foolhardy of them. With the club on its knees and fan apathy where it is, 50% of the remaining fan base would be lost IMO .

@richh87

That would be most foolhardy of them. With the club on its knees and fan apathy where it is, 50% of the remaining fan base would be lost IMO .

I don't want it to happen, but actually think this is the ideal time for an owner to try it. We're desperate.

mattylad

success will breed a stronger fan base not dwelling on the past something I would welcome strongly

Otis

I'd take a yellow with purple spotted kit and us being Coventry Yee ha Buccaneers if it brought success and we stayed here at the Ricoh.

lordsummerisle

I don't want it to happen, but actually think this is the ideal time for an owner to try it. We're desperate.

You, with the majority would have been happy for us to be playing in pink with green spots when Sisu took over.

Changing identity based on the whims of new owners could lead to all sorts, "The Coventry Elephants" etc.

Though of course Jimmy Hill did it when manager to the Sky Blues, so not everything has to be set in amber, though many seem to forget that he was a very unpopular Chairman
back in the day.

@richh87

You, with the majority would have been happy for us to be playing in pink with green spots when Sisu took over.

Changing identity based on the whims of new owners could lead to all sorts, "The Coventry Elephants" etc.

Though of course Jimmy Hill did it when manager to the Sky Blues, so not everything has to be set in amber, though many seem to forget that he was a very unpopular Chairman
back in the day.

Thank you for telling me what I'd have been happy with.

Also, I haven't forgotten how unpopular Jimmy Hill was as chairman - I'm 30 so didn't know in the first place!

SonofErnie

back in the day.

'The Coventry Elephants' is probably a good description of our back 4 over the last 10 years!

Noggin

We have to be in Coventry and the club has to have Coventry in it's name. They are the only 2 things that are across the line in the sand for me, everything else I'd need to evaluate with more facts. Also the more money and support being put in, if they buy the stadium, the more it looks like we are finally in hands that can move the club forwards instead of down the more willing I will be to accept change.

We've had so many years of shit, so many years of being run down, lied to, mislead, so many years of people actively killing our club, plans to move us out the city etc these are real reasons to be upset. If the cost to be finally rid of that was to be the Coventry Wings with a new badge, I could live with it especially if the badge represented our history too. If the new owner wants our crest to be an eagle, he could be carrying the elephant for instance. If this is what happens and it probably wont be, I'm going to buy a season ticket and support it.

Otis

'The Coventry Elephants' is probably a good description of our back 4 over the last 10 years!

PRESS: I see you have changed your name to the Coventry Elephants. Is that because in your team you see that akin to elephants your side are big and strong and you will trample all over the opposition?

OWNER: Nope. It's because the squad is slow and they're very thick skinned.

And we also remember Richard Keogh's ears.

Noggin

I want it to be our club but I also want it to be the owners club, at the moment we have a faceless hedge fund where the actual owners probably couldn't name any of our players, they don't care about us at all, they only care about the money. If an owner cares about the brand, cares about the image of the club, cares about our success and feels like it's something they want to nurture and build on, thats the kind of owner I want and while it's likely this kind of owner will have much more desire to change things than a hedge fund, or any other purely business group I'm ok with that.

torchomatic

Exactly, which is why they'd get away with doing exactly what they wanted with "well, anything's better than SISU...." ringing in their ears.

torchomatic

Yes, he was. At the beginning of the 80s he was really unpopular. He lost loads of money over the Washington Diplomats episode and we had to sell the Sky Blue Connexion because of it. I still remember the "Kill! Kill! Jimmy Hill!" chants.

I would imagine some of the rabid anti-SISU posters on here who will welcome the new owners will be fanatically attacking them in years to come.

back in the day.

Last edited:

Noggin

I would imagine some of the rabid anti-SISU posters on here who will welcome the new owners will be fanatically attacking them in years to come.

Which is a completely rational thing to do, Support new owners till they show themselves to be bad then criticise.

torchomatic

But what will they all do is the new owners are good? What will they complain about then?

Which is a completely rational thing to do, Support new owners till they show themselves to be bad then criticise.

rupert_bear

Fans are fickle awlways have been and yes i was okay about sisu coming in i 2007 there didn't appear to be much other choice at that time. When did i change my opinion ? When they changed their plans from building a squad to demolishing it. Does that make me wrong initially ? Don't think so because you can only judge as it seems at the time. There were some lordy was one who wasn't convinced it was the best move for us and fair play to him he has been proved correct and any new ownercomes with reservations but what else is there ? Surely one day it will come right

Users who are viewing this thread