Oggy (1 Viewer)

covboy1987

The main odd thing that stands out is he seems to be involved in the organisation of the outfield players - Thought that would change on Saturday with Robins in charge but he was at it again up and down like a yo-yo with his clipboard - Breaks of play he was in the outfield players ears advising it seemed tactics - This confuses me as i thought he was a goalkeeping coach? Maybe his role is different to what i am thinking, but with young goalkeepers my advice would sit himself behind the goal in the closed stand in one half encouraging the goalkeeper

Nick

Administrator
what I dont get is in the warmup when him and the sub keeper warms up and put crosses in why they dont have somebody challenging the keeper?

It's a completely different situation to have a free catch with nobody about to when somebody is steaming towards you.

Silence_Is_The_Enemy

I've been waiting for this ever since I started getting shit for my tweet last night that cov telegraph published. For some reason you're not aloud to ask why our 2 goal keepers make the same mistakes from dead ball situations and don't appear to be able to be taught how to better themselves in such situations. Maybe it's oggy maybe it's not all I did was ask the question. Saying he was out dated was possibly harsh

letsallsingtogether

Ahh, good old Oggy. Aka The fall guy.
Have to agree we have 2 shit keepers and Oggy has to sprinkle miracle dust and make 2 Gordon Bank's.

Who makes these mistakes?
Who is at fault when our defence make the same mistakes every week and our strikers don't shoot?
Their all from the same mould shame it is defected.
You get what you pay for we paid for dogshit we got it

Dhinsa's_Millions

For me ; you can't polish a turd. Both keepers are garbage Burge and RCC ; you can't blame Oggy for that. When we had Westwood / Murphy / Kirkland et al. We weren't saying the same. For Kirkland and Westwood we were raving about them. Great goalkeepers. Murphy probably was OK for the level and we would take him back in a heartbeat even at his age. Maybe he is the only constant but he was a cracking goalkeeper (oggy).

letsallsingtogether

But as goalkeeping coach shouldn't Oggy be going up to Mowbray and to Venus and to Slade and to Robins and be saying neither keeper here is ready enough or good enough for first team football?
Maybe he did who knows they should be able to see that for themselves to be honest.
They also have the last word

Otis

Maybe he did who knows they should be able to see that for themselves to be honest.
They also have the last word

Well if he did, or they can all see it for themselves, then why have we still got both of them here vying for the number one keeper role?

skybluetony176

Well if he did, or they can all see it for themselves, then why have we still got both of them here vying for the number one keeper role?

Could be something to do with the bottom of the table budget we have. Might be as simple as having to make do when all things are considered.

Silence_Is_The_Enemy

Oggy has been training Burge all his professional life Burge has never had another goalkeeping coach. So why in 4/5 years that oggy has been training him has Burge not been trained to command his 6 yard box. In yesterday's game alone the goal was a mixture of shit defending and poor command of the area but minutes later he stayed on his line again and they hit the bar it's been going on all season it just doesn't make sense either Burge doesn't listen or oggy is telling him to stay on his line. its a strange situation not blaming oggy for the season just the dead ball goal keeping and sure as hell not suggesting sacking him

skybluetony176

And 4 managers have just ignored him?

I can't imagine that there is a goalkeeping coach at any team in any league who drives the recruitment policy. At the end of the day he's a goalkeeping coach. He gets thrown the goalkeepers to coach. I can't see it being anymore complicated than that.

covboy1987

Have to agree we have 2 shit keepers and Oggy has to sprinkle miracle dust and make 2 Gordon Bank's.

Who makes these mistakes?
Who is at fault when our defence make the same mistakes every week and our strikers don't shoot?
Their all from the same mould shame it is defected.
You get what you pay for we paid for dogshit we got it
I actually do rate oggy as he has been the architect of bringing some great goalkeepers to Cov over the years and would be ovbioulsy heavily involved in picking an drecrisuy=ting them
For me ; you can't polish a turd. Both keepers are garbage Burge and RCC ; you can't blame Oggy for that. When we had Westwood / Murphy / Kirkland et al. We weren't saying the same. For Kirkland and Westwood we were raving about them. Great goalkeepers. Murphy probably was OK for the level and we would take him back in a heartbeat even at his age. Maybe he is the only constant but he was a cracking goalkeeper (oggy).
Who recruited the two goalkeepers we have? Oggy must have had the final decision I assume

robbiekeane

And 4 managers have just ignored him?
Yes probably?

They probably thought the wage could be better spent elsewhere. I think it would be very odd if a keeper is played in the first team solely on a goalkeeping coaches recommendation. Can't believe i'm agreeing with tony on this one....

Dhinsa's_Millions

What I find so funny about this thread is we are Coventry City of the 4th (yes next season) tier of English football. Do we hope to get any ex Premiership goalkeeper who has a link to the City of Coventry to be the goalkeeping coach next season? I'd much prefer Oggy than a stream of SISU appointed Slade-esque types to wreck more havoc on the club. We are already an embarrassment with no local ties let's try and minimise that and keep the local ties to the club.

Nick

Administrator
What I find so funny about this thread is we are Coventry City of the 4th (yes next season) tier of English football. Do we hope to get any ex Premiership goalkeeper who has a link to the City of Coventry to be the goalkeeping coach next season? I'd much prefer Oggy than a stream of SISU appointed Slade-esque types to wreck more havoc on the club. We are already an embarrassment with no local ties let's try and minimise that and keep the local ties to the club.

Surely we should hire on how good they are though?

letsallsingtogether

I would say he is heavily involved in the final decision as there is no point having a goalkeeping coach
Burge has come through the youth team they obviously saw something in him.
Who brought RCC?
Problem is we wouldn't pay the wages for an experienced .uk so have what is left.

covboy1987

I would say he is heavily involved in the final decision as there is no point having a goalkeeping coach

Aberdeen are looking for a goalkeeping coach
clip_image002.gif
Aberdeen Football Club

Job Title/ Ref:

Head of Goalkeeping

Line Manager:

Football Manage
Overall Purpose of Job: (Narrative)
The Senior Goalkeeping Coach will be responsible for implementing and delivering the Club’s Goalkeeping Strategy.
Main Responsibilities/Description of Duties: (Bullet Points)
Responsible for
With the assistance of the Player Recruitment Team, identify and scout potential goalkeeping target players.
· The development of long-term strategies to ensure the successful recruitment and development of elite goalkeepers for all our squads.

To develop and implement a Goalkeeping Coaching Curriculum in line with the Club philosophy covering technical and tactical aspects, ensuring these are delivered and reinforced through effective coaching and mentori

letsallsingtogether

How do you know that?

We have brought in plenty of players during those times.
So do you believe we pay good wages to attract a good GK?
I can't see any other reason why we would be left with what we have and that is in every position not just GK.

Dhinsa's_Millions

Surely we should hire on how good they are though?
Agreed Nick, but could the Coventry City of 2017 even find a decent goalkeeping coach with the paltry sum (SISU) would pay? We have Oggy who had made Kirkland and Westwood much better but hasn't made headway with what we have now, and we all know they aren't good enough even from a raw material point of view. For me it's a recruitment issue plus, you can't polish a turd!

fernandopartridge

It's funny but our ex goalkeeper and gk coach Jim Blythe certainly seems to not value Oggy either.

Nick

Administrator
So do you believe we pay good wages to attract a good GK?
I can't see any other reason why we would be left with what we have and that is in every position not just GK.

I'd say over how many managers it isn't about that? Especially when we have brought in a fair amount of players that we couldn't afford a half decent goalie.

We play in League 1, we will be able to pay for a half decent league 1 goalie. I don't think we have one at the minute.

Even Roy Carroll would have been better!

Users who are viewing this thread