Oggy (1 Viewer)

higgs

O Brien looked a good keeper until he spent more and more time under oggys guidance now hes a nervous wreck. What does that man have to do to keep his job?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

higgs

What an idiotic thing to say I could be a dwarf for all you know

Otis

I wonder if Oggy had any say so in bringing O'Brien to the club.

If Burge comes back in it will be interesting to see just how much Oggy has improved him. If he isn't improved at all, then you have to say what's the point him even being here.

If we have a good goalkeeping coach we should at least have half decent goalkeepers.

Grendel

I wonder if Oggy had any say so in bringing O'Brien to the club.

If Burge comes back in it will be interesting to see just how much Oggy has improved him. If he isn't improved at all, then you have to say what's the point him even being here.

If we have a good goalkeeping coach we should at least have half decent goalkeepers.

How do you measure improvement? People seem to suggest Burge has improved haven't they?

Grendel

Not to my mind he hasn't and it is Burge I am talking about when I say 'what's the point of him even being here?'

Think you agree Burge isn't good enough. So why's he still here?

Because robins think he is - clearly.

Grendel

So you think Robins is wrong on this one then? You've clearly said many times you think Burge isn't good enough.

I think the lower the league you are in the worse quality of player there is available.

By definition the likes of Haynes, Burge etc. Have to be better in the leagues that are lower.

There's going to be fewer keepers as well to pick from than outfield players.

Monkeyface

I think people need to be realistic in their expectations from our players. We are the division above non-league, the players we sign aren't going to faultless. If they were, or were even less probe to mistakes, they'd be playing for one of the 68 teams playing above us.

Otis

I think the lower the league you are in the worse quality of player there is available.

By definition the likes of Haynes, Burge etc. Have to be better in the leagues that are lower.

There's going to be fewer keepers as well to pick from than outfield players.
Well true.

I would have definitely said that O'Brien was an improvement on what we had, but these two errors have concerned me. I would think it now logical for Burge to come in on Tuesday.

Unless he has a mare I think he will stay in.

What I don't get is that he is 24 and we have had him here for 6 years. Surely he should be able to show more command of his area by now than he has shouldn't he?

At times he has shown no command of his area at all.

Terry Gibson's perm

Oggy wa poor dealing with crosses and distribution and most of these goalies struggle with the same is it a coincidence?

Skybluefaz

O Brien looked a good keeper until he spent more and more time under oggys guidance now hes a nervous wreck. What does that man have to do to keep his job?

He looked good until we saw him for an amount of games that still isn't enough to judge him on. I'd give him one more game and if he makes another mistake, leading to a goal or not, it's Burge's turn.

Otis

Oggy wa poor dealing with crosses and distribution and most of these goalies struggle with the same is it a coincidence?
Crosses were definitely Oggy's Achilles heel. Great shot stopper and very good command of his area, but poor on crosses and bad on distribution.

Last edited:

Irish Sky Blue

In my opinion Oggy is the best goalkeeper I have seen play for the club, closely followed by Bill Glazier. When there was the pole on here for best players we have had in each position two years ago, he was voted best keeper. He played all of his City games for a top flight team and kept his place on merit until his late thirties. Every manager who was here in that period picked him as their number one (I know Bobby Gould picked his son over him for a few games). He saw off challenger after challenger until age and Hedman took his place. It seems to me that he is criticised for simply still being here. Unless you see what he does on a day to day basis how can you know he is a poor coach?

Terry Gibson's perm

In my opinion Oggy is the best goalkeeper I have seen play for the club, closely followed by Bill Glazier. When there was the pole on here for best players we have had in each position two years ago, he was voted best keeper. He played all of his City games for a top flight team and kept his place on merit until his late thirties. Every manager who was here in that period picked him as their number one (I know Bobby Gould picked his son over him for a few games). He saw off challenger after challenger until age and Hedman took his place. It seems to me that he is criticised for simply still being here. Unless you see what he does on a day to day basis how can you know he is a poor coach?

Polls mean nothing people only vote for who they can remember and have seen, have you ever seen Clarrie Bourton in any poll team and Robbie Keane gets in before Terry Gibson

I didn't see Glazier but my dad tells me he was way ahead of Oggy.

Oggy saw of various other keepers but none were brilliant they were just signed as understudies people like Jake Findlay as soon as a decent keeper appeared Oggy was rightly removed.

I know a former youth team player Oggy coached and he told me he was very good but you can now only comment on the current players and they go backwards under him

Grendel

Polls mean nothing people only vote for who they can remember and have seen, have you ever seen Clarrie Bourton in any poll team and Robbie Keane gets in before Terry Gibson

Oggy saw of various other keepers but none were brilliant they were just signed as understudies people like Jake Findlay as soon as a decent keeper appeared Oggy was rightly removed.

I know a former youth team player Oggy coached and he told me he was very good but you can now only comment on the current players and they go backwards under him

Filan was a premier league keeper who never hardly played when Oggy was here.

Otis

Yeah, but thing is on the poll, so many contributors would have never have seen Glazier play, as they would have been too young. Had they seem him play I am very certain the result would have been different.

Terry Gibson's perm

Filan was a premier league keeper who never hardly played when Oggy was here.

Premier league keeper after he had been here, he was signed to sit on the bench as at that time Oggy was undroppable as he was chasing records and there would have been uproar amongst the fans

Otis

In my opinion Glazier was 10 times the goalie Oggy ever was.

Different times though for sure. The difference between Glazier and Oggy for me was that rather than dive and palm away, Glazier would dive and actually catch the ball, so imagine a shot blasted in with the keeper stretching. Most keepers palm the ball to safety. Glazier would dive and then be able clasp and clutch the ball with both hands mid flight.

NortonSkyBlue

In my opinion Glazier was 10 times the goalie Oggy ever was.

Different times though for sure. The difference between Glazier and Oggy for me was that rather than dive and palm away, Glazier would dive and actually catch the ball, so imagine a shot blasted in with the keeper stretching. Most keepers palm the ball to safety. Glazier would dive and then be able clasp and clutch the ball with both hands mid flight.
Otis, you know I love you fella and I bow to nobody for my affection for Bill Glazier, who I sing about in the shower daily.
But to say that Glazier was ten times the Oggy was is in my opinion "rose tinted glasses"
Glazier was a classic keeper, was known for palming the ball in to the path of on coming strikers. It was his Achilles heel.
Oggy was exposed by the changes in the law that meant kicking became a bigger part of the game.
Both great keepers, both club legends.

CJ_covblaze

64 appearances in L1, L2 & The Conferrence in 6 years. The two mistakes he's made in the last 4 of those, that have cost 2 goals, are clearly all down to Oggy. He's spent most of the last few years sat on the bench at Dagenham & Redbridge, Pompey, Brentford and Barnet along with an appearance here or there for Hastings and Eastbourne. Why were great things expected from him?

FWIW I thought he played well against Grimsby and he seemed to command his box well. No better than Burge would've done though.

higgs

I think we should bring in another goalkeeping coach the keepers aren't improving under oggy even young Corey addai can't catch a cross and he's about 7 foot tall. I wouldn't make oggy redundant I'd give him a job in the club shop stocking the high shelves. I know he would drop one or two items but least it wouldn't cost us a few goals

wingy

I think we should bring in another goalkeeping coach the keepers aren't improving under oggy even young Corey addai can't catch a cross and he's about 7 foot tall. I wouldn't make oggy redundant I'd give him a job in the club shop stocking the high shelves. I know he would drop one or two items but least it wouldn't cost us a few goals

Haha.

Irish Sky Blue

Can't believe I am criticising Bill Glazier but he was virtually finished at 30. He left us for Brentford I think and only played a few games before retiring. He was a more exciting keeper to watch than Oggy, but for sheer consistency in the top league, for playing over 600 games and for playing huge strings of games together without a break I still think Oggy edges it.

Otis

But it matters not if it's Oggy's fault or not. Bottom line is surely that Burge is not the keeper for a promotion chasing team. RCC is too hot-headed. O'Brien came in, commanded his area, looked assured on crosses and constantly organised his back four.

It's the two dreadful mistakes in a row that's the big worry. Every keeper has a mistake in him, but you don't expect to get two absolute howlers in a row from them. Maybe one led to the other.

I was really hoping that at last we had a steady keeper behind the sticks. His place must now be in severe jeopardy and that concerns me greatly because Burge has been a walking mistake and has committed so many errors that have led to goals.

I really hope this is just a blip for O'Brien and not a character flaw.

Otis

Otis, you know I love you fella and I bow to nobody for my affection for Bill Glazier, who I sing about in the shower daily.
But to say that Glazier was ten times the Oggy was is in my opinion "rose tinted glasses"
Glazier was a classic keeper, was known for palming the ball in to the path of on coming strikers. It was his Achilles heel.
Oggy was exposed by the changes in the law that meant kicking became a bigger part of the game.
Both great keepers, both club legends.

Rose tinted? :)

You do know that Oggy was known as 'Flapper' throughout the M&B Stand don't you? ;)

I thought Oggy was a very good keeper, but I would say the rose-tinted notion has been applied just as much to the big man as it was to Glazier.

Think Oggy was the better shot stopper, but Glazier much the better all round keeper.

wingy

I still think Burge will eventually come through.
Watching Kasper Smeichal last night for Leicester reminded me of that, Especially on the second goal conceded.
Hope you get my drift, he had many faults at Burge's age.

Otis

I still think Burge will eventually come through.
Watching Kasper Smeichal last night for Leicester reminded me of that, Especially on the second goal conceded.
Hope you get my drift, he had many faults at Burge's age.

Yeah, he made errors, but at least he controlled his area, or least tried to and was very verbal. Burge has always given the back four the jitters and has seemed very much like he hasn't been able to control the penalty area.

I sincerely hope Burge does come good, but he has been very error prone for us thus far and that's the last thing you need in a promotion chasing season.

skybluetony176

So a goalie makes two errors that are so basic that if he needs them coaching out of him he should be playing for a pub team and it's Oggy's fault.

Only one person to blame here and that's O'Brien for not doing what should be instinctive for any keeper. Nothing to do with coaching.

If you're going to blame anyone else then surely the only other person you can blame is Robins. Because if we've signed a keeper who needs to be coached to do something as basic as not taking his eye of the ball at his age then he really isn't good enough to play professional football in the first place.

The goalie has made two critical errors and they're down to the goalie and the goalie alone.

Users who are viewing this thread