Oggy (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

What an idiotic statement, grow up you fool
How many keepers have actually improved under Oggy's tutelage?

Take your sky blue tinted specs off. Jim Blyth recognises that Oggy's coaching is ineffective, about time the club realised the same. We don't owe him a living.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

wingy

Yeah, he made errors, but at least he controlled his area, or least tried to and was very verbal. Burge has always given the back four the jitters and has seemed very much like he hasn't been able to control the penalty area.

I sincerely hope Burge does come good, but he has been very error prone for us thus far and that's the last thing you need in a promotion chasing season.
What I think is Burge proved at Wembley what a GK he could be, If he hasn't grown off the back of that then there is no hope.
For all the games he's played I can only think of a couple where his mistakes have directly cost us points.
Yes undoubtedly the commanding of his box is the downside in his game, by definition that affects the confidence of the back four in him and may lead to goals against/defeats.
But if he finds himself between the sticks again the support must back him, help his confidence as when its high he performs well.
It's a lonely position /profession as the last man.

skybluetony176

What I think is Burge proved at Wembley what a GK he could be, If he hasn't grown off the back of that then there is no hope.
For all the games he's played I can only think of a couple where his mistakes have directly cost us points.
Yes undoubtedly the commanding of his box is the downside in his game, by definition that affects the confidence of the back four in him and may lead to goals against/defeats.
But if he finds himself between the sticks again the support must back him, help his confidence as when its high he performs well.
It's a lonely position /profession as the last man.

Confidence is definitely Burges issue and I would say it's a character trait. That's why he doesn't shout at his defence, because he doesn't have the confidence to. He needs life coaching to deal with that not goal keeping coaching.

I also don't agree with others that Burge hasn't got better. Like you pointed out, his Wembley performance was superb. He was also much better after Wembley. He clearly has improved, including his kicking although there's clearly a lot more that can be done there.

Hobo

O Brien looked a good keeper until he spent more and more time under oggys guidance now hes a nervous wreck. What does that man have to do to keep his job?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If he has gone down hill that quickly, he can't have been that good in the first place.

Do you put screws in with a hammer?

Otis

I think we all agree he has been nervy. That has affected the confidence of the back four and it could be argued that, that in turn therefore cost us points.

It is clear that a back four play with more confidence when they have faith in the bloke in the goalkeeping jersey behind them.

Hobo

How many keepers have actually improved under Oggy's tutelage?

Take your sky blue tinted specs off. Jim Blyth recognises that Oggy's coaching is ineffective, about time the club realised the same. We don't owe him a living.

I think it was the presentation of the evidence he was referring too.

Gilbo

I think I have too stick up for Oggy here. Last week his technique to save the shot was good, then for some unknown reason he takes his eyes off the ball. Yesterday he made a terrible decision when it was never his ball. While you can work on this in training, it's in matches where you will eradicate this from your game.

vow

Not Oggy's fault that O'Brien lacked concentration in one game and then made a bad decision in the other now is it? Especially after being praised for his first 2 outings, no criticism for Oggy then was there!?

skybluedan

Individual errors obviously ain't oggy fault but the fact that we have had burge and rcc for awhile now and both seem to have got worse rather than better

Edit tbf there both shit at best and have said all along we need a aged experience head in there but there few and far between so what you gonna do

skybluedan

I agree with regards RCC however, Burge showed definite improvement towards the end of last season.

Let's hope so because me thinks he now might be getting a chance
It's been a problem position for years for us and should have been a priority for the last few managers

CJ_covblaze

Regarding RCC and LB. If we were at the top of the league, winning most games I'd want Charles-Cook there as he can stand there doing nothing for a considerable amount of time cold but then pull off a top draw save. If we're lower down and our keeper is going to be busier I'd have Burge as his all round game is better. Personally I didn't see the need for another keeper. They're both relatively good compared to the others in L2 and L1. There are certainly far worse out there that we played against last season and will see this season.

What's O'Brien on a week? A grand, 1500 maybe? Wouldn't we have been better off sticking with what we had and spending McNulty's wages plus LOB's 1-1.5k on an upgrade on McNulty?

Btw I've not got anything against either of those players. Both have their place in a squad at L2 level. I just feel McNulty has 10-12 goals max in him. Fine for a supplementary striker but not as our main focus of attack. Meanwhile O'Brien is probably a fairly competent back up that we didn't need.

Otis

It was a bit weird bringing in another keeper because RCC was and still is under contract. Burge was out of contract, so we assumed he was going.

Burge signed a new contract, so we still had both RCC and Burge. Makes it a bit puzzling as to why we signed O'Brien. Thought maybe RCC was leaving, but he's still here isn't he.

letsallsingtogether

Round and Round we go...........

So yes let's get rid of him who then is the next scape goat?

chiefdave

Getting another keeper in was fine with me if he was going to be a clear improvement on what we already have but I'm no longer convinced that's the case.

Hobo

It was a bit weird bringing in another keeper because RCC was and still is under contract. Burge was out of contract, so we assumed he was going.

Burge signed a new contract, so we still had both RCC and Burge. Makes it a bit puzzling as to why we signed O'Brien. Thought maybe RCC was leaving, but he's still here isn't he.

Well managers have been criticised for not bringing in replacements before players leave. Now it is why have we signed someone when players haven't left? Managers can't win. People on here make it sound so easy to build a team. You just pick who you want and they gratefully come running and just shove your cast offs out the door.
I am sure there are many nearly deals and potential deals we never get to hear about. Things can be moving one day and dead in the water the next.

Otis

Well managers have been criticised for not bringing in replacements before players leave. Now it is why have we signed someone when players haven't left? Managers can't win. People on here make it sound so easy to build a team. You just pick who you want and they gratefully come running and just shove your cast offs out the door.
I am sure there are many nearly deals and potential deals we never get to hear about. Things can be moving one day and dead in the water the next.
No, I agree with that. Just expected RCC to be gone and that there must have been interest in him. I still maintain that RCC is a better keeper than Burge. I think we could have coached his impulsiveness out of him.

fernandopartridge

He's not a scape goat. He's not the reason we lost. However; the fact is that his time in the club's coaching staff has seen 3 relegations and numerous keepers many of whom make the same elementary mistakes. If deadwood had a name...

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Getting another keeper in was fine with me if he was going to be a clear improvement on what we already have but I'm no longer convinced that's the case.
O'Brien , Burge, R,C,C . Pick all of their good points and put them together , surely you would have a good keeper !

Trouble is im struggling to pick out Burge's good points ! :facepalm:

skybluetony176

He's not a scape goat. He's not the reason we lost. However; the fact is that his time in the club's coaching staff has seen 3 relegations and numerous keepers many of whom make the same elementary mistakes. If deadwood had a name...

...it would be Tim Fisher and SISU. Are you really blaming Oggy for their failure? Deadwood? Do you really think anyone can succeed in the environment that they have created? Perhaps we should do a least of everyone who's succeeded at CCFC under SISU's tenure. Shouldn't take long.

If Oggy is failing he's a symptom not the cause.

Otis

...it would be Tim Fisher and SISU. Are you really blaming Oggy for their failure? Deadwood? Do you really think anyone can succeed in the environment that they have created? Perhaps we should do a least of everyone who's succeeded at CCFC under SISU's tenure. Shouldn't take long.

But then we didn't fail with Christie and Maddison and Bigi and Wilson etc. We managed to sell all those players for very good money.

fernandopartridge

He is deadwood. Retired 2000 and has sat collecting a wage since.

skybluetony176

But then we didn't fail with Christie and Maddison and Bigi and Wilson etc. We managed to sell all those players for very good money.

Players. I'm talking about managers and coaching staff. They've all come here and failed regardless of credentials. Maybe that's down to Oggy too. More likely it's down to the other common denominator. The one that actually set the tone at the club . And no I don't mean the supporters before anyone starts.

skybluetony176

He is deadwood. Retired 2000 and has sat collecting a wage since.

Yes I'm sure he just sits. You need to grow up and look at the bigger picture. Even if Oggy does just sit there counting his money it's still symptomatic of the way the club is allowed to be run. If he's such deadwood the owners are so inept they're not capable of noticing and doing something about it. That lack of understanding and ability to address issues is the biggest problem at the club. That's not Oggy's fault.

fernandopartridge

Yes I'm sure he just sits. You need to grow up and look at the bigger picture. Even if Oggy does just sit there counting his money it's still symptomatic of the way the club is allowed to be run. If he's such deadwood the owners are so inept they're not capable of noticing and doing something about it. That lack of understanding and ability to address issues is the biggest problem at the club. That's not Oggy's fault.
We agree. Oggy is symptomatic of the club / the club is symptomatic of Oggy.

Otis

But you say look at the bigger picture, yet we have managed to produce very good players except for a keeper.

I'm not necessarily blaming Oggy, but if we can produce good young talent in spite of the way the club has been run, why haven't we produced a good young keeper too, in all that time?

rupert_bear

The 2 home games I've been to O'Brien has done okay in his goalkeeping, caught crosses, commanded his area, distribution okay and made some decent saves, but he has had a couple of calamities that have cost us points, he is a rookie goalie at this level, played hardly any games in the football league. This thread started as a thread to blame big Oggy. for two schoolboy errors. How can any coach be blamed for that ?

rupert_bear

I haven't seen, heard or read anything on yesterday's game but apart from his obvious balls up how did O'Brien play overall ? Was he dithering, fumbling and farting about or okay.

Users who are viewing this thread