Oggy (1 Viewer)

Otis

I haven't seen, heard or read anything on yesterday's game but apart from his obvious balls up how did O'Brien play overall ? Was dithering, fumbling and farting about or okay.
Be interested to know too. For me he has looked commanding, caught well and been very verbal with his defence, the two mistakes apart.

skybluetony176

But you say look at the bigger picture, yet we have managed to produce very good players except for a keeper.

I'm not necessarily blaming Oggy, but if we can produce good young talent in spite of the way the club has been run, why haven't we produced a good young keeper too, in all that time?

How many outfield players come through the academy? How many goalies? The law of averages could explain that.

skybluetony176

We agree. Oggy is symptomatic of the club / the club is symptomatic of Oggy.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Shit players playing in a shit league with shit coaches and shit managers in an ever increasing downward spiral are all symptomatic of having shit owners not the other way around.

Don't give SISU, Fisher and all the other failures that they've bought in to run the club the get out of anything else. They really haven't earned that respect from you.

Gilbo

Novice goalkeepers will make mistakes, as does everyone. Goalkeeping is about confidence, look at Joe Hart. I do hope our goalkeepers stay off here else their confidence will be damaged beyond repair.

stevefloyd

Polls mean nothing people only vote for who they can remember and have seen, have you ever seen Clarrie Bourton in any poll team and Robbie Keane gets in before Terry Gibson

I didn't see Glazier but my dad tells me he was way ahead of Oggy.

Oggy saw of various other keepers but none were brilliant they were just signed as understudies people like Jake Findlay as soon as a decent keeper appeared Oggy was rightly removed.

I know a former youth team player Oggy coached and he told me he was very good but you can now only comment on the current players and they go backwards under him
Bill Glazier was far far far superior to Oggy, remember Jimmy Hill signed him for a record fee for a goalkeeper too, he may have gone on to play for England but broke a leg and of course he had to take the gloves off Gordon Banks who to my mind was the absolute greatest

stevefloyd

Can't believe I am criticising Bill Glazier but he was virtually finished at 30. He left us for Brentford I think and only played a few games before retiring. He was a more exciting keeper to watch than Oggy, but for sheer consistency in the top league, for playing over 600 games and for playing huge strings of games together without a break I still think Oggy edges it.
Just think how many seasons we narrowly avoided relegation with Oggy between the sticks, now maybe if we had had a better goalkeeper we wouldn't have been at the bottom, just saying ...its contentious I know but if we had had a better striker same rules apply..get my drift

Gilbo

All this about Oggy's abilities as a goalkeeper!!! He was a very good, top flight goalkeeper for 15 years. His distribution may not have been great however, he played the majority of his career when it didn't need to be. City legend-end of.

ccfcway

Just think how many seasons we narrowly avoided relegation with Oggy between the sticks, now maybe if we had had a better goalkeeper we wouldn't have been at the bottom, just saying ...its contentious I know but if we had had a better striker same rules apply..get my drift

or gone down a lot sooner !

Otis

Novice goalkeepers will make mistakes, as does everyone. Goalkeeping is about confidence, look at Joe Hart. I do hope our goalkeepers stay off here else their confidence will be damaged beyond repair.
Maybe they won't catch the threads.

stevefloyd

1. Managers are judged by their results coaches are based on obviously their coaching ability to improve players, I would suggest goalkeeping coaches are also judged by their coaching abilities also, Oggy has been coaching here for many years now and from memory the only goalkeeper to have risen through the ranks is Kirkland who was here before Oggy was a coach, the rest of the goalkeepers were brought in except for our current crop barring O'Brien, I don't think anyone on here for a moment would blame Oggy for the 2 stupid mistakes in the last couple of games but I would imagine someone in the management team would speak with the goalkeeping coach and ask a simple question, "what do you think of Burge Addai and RCC".
  2. Oggy has been here a long time now been a good servant to the club and if he was the best goalkeeping coach out there we would surely be seeing better keepers at the club but I now think it is better to bring in a new keeping coach who is younger with different ideas, thank you Oggy for your services but it don't appear to be working anymore

Gilbo

1. Managers are judged by their results coaches are based on obviously their coaching ability to improve players, I would suggest goalkeeping coaches are also judged by their coaching abilities also, Oggy has been coaching here for many years now and from memory the only goalkeeper to have risen through the ranks is Kirkland who was here before Oggy was a coach, the rest of the goalkeepers were brought in except for our current crop barring O'Brien, I don't think anyone on here for a moment would blame Oggy for the 2 stupid mistakes in the last couple of games but I would imagine someone in the management team would speak with the goalkeeping coach and ask a simple question, "what do you think of Burge Addai and RCC".
  2. Oggy has been here a long time now been a good servant to the club and if he was the best goalkeeping coach out there we would surely be seeing better keepers at the club but I now think it is better to bring in a new keeping coach who is younger with different ideas, thank you Oggy for your services but it don't appear to be working anymore
Fair point.

chiefdave

The thing I don't understand with Oggy is how, if he is as bad at his job as some claim, he has kept the job under so many managers. You'd expect at least one of Coleman, Boothroyd, Robins, Thorn, Mowbray, Pressley or Slade to notice the problem.

Terry Gibson's perm

The thing I don't understand with Oggy is how, if he is as bad at his job as some claim, he has kept the job under so many managers. You'd expect at least one of Coleman, Boothroyd, Robins, Thorn, Mowbray, Pressley or Slade to notice the problem.

Maybe because the new manager doesn't want to annoy the fans by removing a "legend"

singers_pore

Too expensive to fire if you believe the rumors.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

"Take your hands out of your pockets young man" After signing Trevor Francis on TV.
giphy.gif

fatso

If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
Should we really be surprised when our monkeys turn out to be no better than anyone else's monkeys?

letsallsingtogether

I haven't seen, heard or read anything on yesterday's game but apart from his obvious balls up how did O'Brien play overall ? Was he dithering, fumbling and farting about or okay.
Fumbled on more then one occation even froze on the line for a ball that was 100% his, forcing our defence to put it out for a corner.

Users who are viewing this thread