Oh, what HOPES we had! (1 Viewer)

The CableGuy

1st game of the season at Yeovil. Surely we would be too good for them, surely we would beat them and lay down a marker for the rest of the League: That we are Coventry City, and we mean business.

Resistance by the rest of the League would be futile. Opposition defences would be irrelevant.

Cody opened the scoring at Yeovil. Here we go.

Apart from the Robins Era (or even the McG era), its been all downhill from here.

Now, going into the final game of what's been a memorable (for all the wrong reasons) season, were in 16th place, in Admin, under a transfer embargo, with our 5th Manager of the season. We don't know where we will be playing next season, if more points will be deducted, if the future of the club (the Academy) will still be around next season, and the guy who is running the club disagrees with the Football League on the whereabouts of the Golden Share.

Oh, Yeovil? In the play-offs. With a faction of our £4 million playing budget.

You couldn't make this up could you?

:(

Defo the worst season i have seen as a CCFC fan. We had so much optimism in August. We all thought Cody would be top scorer, we'd bring in a couple of great players and bring up the kids like Cameron and Thomas from ocasional starters to first team regulars. Thomas has barely played, Cameron has f**ked up and is outa here. We lost some great talent such as Bigi, Keogh and Olly, we've brought in some AWFUL players like Ball, Stewart, Jennings, Bailey and Brown, Sheffers has gone downhill faster that Portsmouth, we've had 5 managers, so far only 1 of them has impressed me, SISU ARE STILL HERE! which is the worst thing of all. 95% of this season has been woeful from all angles. Only a couple of good points, but if SISU go and Pressley is allowed to bring hin his own players and imprint his style on his squad, we have a lot to look forward to next year. PUSB!

stupot07

Quite a few posters said that league one wouldn't be the cakewalk that a lot thought it would be.

It's ok having large budget if its used effectively, ours was filled with players still on championship money but not deserving of it and a load of fringe players who were not good enough to have any significant impact in the team

mark82

Quite a few posters said that league one wouldn't be the cakewalk that a lot thought it would be.

It's ok having large budget if its used effectively, ours was filled with players still on championship money but not deserving of it and a load of fringe players who were not good enough to have any significant impact in the team

We have got one of the best squads in the league. First 8 games killed us along with the 10 points. Since we lost 10 we've not been the same.

stupot07

We have got one of the best squads in the league. First 8 games killed us along with the 10 points. Since we lost 10 we've not been the same.

We haven't though have we? For the size of the squad we have been completely reliant on 1 striker and baker. Since said striker has been out injured we've struggled. We've struggled defensively all season only 3 teams have kept less cleansheets than us...in fact we've kept the same amount of cleansheets as last season when we were relegated...and then there's the home form...worst than last season.

You look at the squad there are probably 5-6 players you would be sad to lose, the rest are a much of a muchness.

The CableGuy

I didn't personally think we would 'walk' this league. Yeovil deserve to be up there and Walsall (after a horrific run) have just missed out on the play-offs.

But I expected more home wins for City and not to piss away 30+ points from winning positions. Good thing Robins got the squad fit and organised (especially away from home). Without him, McG and Leon Clarke, we would be in a relegation battle.

Even with the 10 points added back on, we would be in 12th place and 10 points off the play-offs. Simply not good enough.

Given the continuing off-pitch turmoil and FFP coming in, I really do fear for us next season.

Sisu-infidels

The wheels came off after the crewe jpt game... Robins left,then the 10pts deduction! Prior to that we had hope of play offs and the season could have been so different!

But the one plus is the support, say what you like about Ccfc but the fans always do us proud and I may be embarrassed to be associated wit Ccfc due to the off field problems but I'm immensely proud to be sat amongst my fellow fans who are the best fans in the country IMO!

What ever happens during the summer as long as those clowns don't take us outside the city I will be there again hoping and praying that next season is better!

Pusb!

mark82

We haven't though have we? For the size of the squad we have been completely reliant on 1 striker and baker. Since said striker has been out injured we've struggled. We've struggled defensively all season only 3 teams have kept less cleansheets than us...in fact we've kept the same amount of cleansheets as last season when we were relegated...and then there's the home form...worst than last season.

You look at the squad there are probably 5-6 players you would be sad to lose, the rest are a much of a muchness.

The following players would get into most teams in this league:

Murphy
Christie
Jordan Clarke
Adams
Wood
Stewart
Baker
Bell (when fit)
Fleck
Moussa
McSheffrey (although he's been crap)
Jennings
Barton (Maybe)
Thomas (Maybe)
Leon Clarke

I'mARealWizard

Well, things didn't get any better with Hopes + Shaw :(

We took far to long to get going, and get fit.

That's for sure!
rimshot.gif

Grendel

Defo the worst season i have seen as a CCFC fan. We had so much optimism in August. We all thought Cody would be top scorerPUSB!

I think you'll find only you the useless fat one and Don thought that.

stupot07

Murphy
Christie
Jordan Clarke
Adams
Wood
Stewart
Baker
Bell (when fit)
Fleck
Moussa
Jennings
Barton (Maybe)
Thomas (Maybe)
Leon Clarke

And yet we have been totally reliant on DMc/Clarke and baker......says a lot for the quality of the squad.

SkyBlueSwiss

Yep, that about covers it.

Grendel

Murphy
Christie
Jordan Clarke
Adams
Wood
Stewart
Baker
Bell (when fit)
Fleck
Moussa
Jennings
Barton (Maybe)
Thomas (Maybe)
Leon Clarke

No they wouldn't.

psgm1

Banned

Murphy
Christie
Jordan Clarke
Adams
Wood
Stewart
Baker
Bell (when fit)
Fleck
Moussa
Jennings
Barton (Maybe)
Thomas (Maybe)
Leon Clarke

maybe league 2

J

Jack Griffin

It could have been a lot worse, at least we stayed in the leauge, have a look at Pompey

Ha ha, at least the fans there have got control from the asset strippers now.. they'll bounce back soon. For them there is a future.. for us there is more SISU misery.

J

Jack Griffin

The wheels came off after the crewe jpt game... Robins left,then the 10pts deduction! Prior to that we had hope of play offs and the season could have been so different!

But the one plus is the support, say what you like about Ccfc but the fans always do us proud and I may be embarrassed to be associated wit Ccfc due to the off field problems but I'm immensely proud to be sat amongst my fellow fans who are the best fans in the country IMO!

What ever happens during the summer as long as those clowns don't take us outside the city I will be there again hoping and praying that next season is better!

Pusb!

Look at the graph of our League position/results, it goes up when Robins came in & starts to slope away once he left.. go figure!

CoventryCty_pos.gif

At least he was smart enough to seek assurances from SISU.. & find out they're not gonna deliver whats needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brighton Sky Blue

Failed to make the top 6 at any point while teams on smaller budgets have dominated. Retaining Thorn was an utterly colossal mistake and that combined with the lengthy time taken to appoint Robins made the season an uphill struggle before Robins could really do anything. Despite that, the main positive has to be that record breaking away winning sequence-the rest has been one long humiliation both on and off the field. People say 'let's be thankful we didn't go down'-there's nothing to be thankful for at being 16th in the third division.

Mucca Mad Boys

Failed to make the top 6 at any point while teams on smaller budgets have dominated. Retaining Thorn was an utterly colossal mistake and that combined with the lengthy time taken to appoint Robins made the season an uphill struggle before Robins could really do anything. Despite that, the main positive has to be that record breaking away winning sequence-the rest has been one long humiliation both on and off the field. People say 'let's be thankful we didn't go down'-there's nothing to be thankful for at being 16th in the third division.

Bournemouth appointed Howe after we appointed Robins, Bournemouth were lower than us, yet were champions before that finish at Griffin Park and at no point did we win 3 in a row. Apart from November and December, it's been an awful season. Robins turned us around, but our position wasn't as bad as some made out.

Apart from that, well said.

Regroup for the summer and hopefully strengthen in areas and hopefully next season will be better!

Last edited:

tbh444

I think the downturn was setting in well before robins left, I don't think he'd have done much better than pressley, definitely not 10 points better (ignoring the deduction). But overall I wouldn't say this season felt much worse than the many drab championship seasons we've had in recent times, don't think too many would have been expecting runaway success.

Mucca Mad Boys

I think the downturn was setting in well before robins left, I don't think he'd have done much better than pressley, definitely not 10 points better (ignoring the deduction). But overall I wouldn't say this season felt much worse than the many drab championship seasons we've had in recent times, don't think too many would have been expecting runaway success.

It started to go sour with Robins before he left, without Clarke, he would've done just as bad IMO.

Mucca Mad Boys

Bournemouth were in a worse situation after more games, clearly 8 games don't define a season.

Nonleagueherewecome

Look at the graph of our League position/results, it goes up when Robins came in & starts to slope away once he left.. go figure!

CoventryCty_pos.gif

At least he was smart enough to seek assurances from SISU.. & find out they're not gonna deliver whats needed.

I'd like to see at which point McGoldrick came in on that graph-and which point Clarke got injured!

Brighton Sky Blue

Bournemouth appointed Howe after we appointed Robins, Bournemouth were lower than us, yet were champions before that finish at Griffin Park and at no point did we win 3 in a row. Apart from November and December, it's been an awful season. Robins turned us around, but our position wasn't as bad as some made out.

Apart from that, well said.

Regroup for the summer and hopefully strengthen in areas and hopefully next season will be better!

Howe and Bournemouth seem to be a match made in heaven and I'd say they're very much an exception rather than the rule. Robins inherited a team in total disarray and the transformation, at least away from home, was unprecedented by many of us-but the home form remained atrocious and we end the season having blown 33-35 points from winning positions. We've also doubled both promoted teams but been doubled by the likes of Shrewsbury and Carlisle-just goes to show what a wasted opportunity this season has been to create a successful atmosphere around the club.

Credit goes to Fisher and Waggott for taking the word of a fool over commonsense last April. Special credit goes to the former for self-inflicting a 10 point deduction and dragging the club's name even further through the mud.

Gint11

1st game of the season at Yeovil. Surely we would be too good for them, surely we would beat them and lay down a marker for the rest of the League: That we are Coventry City, and we mean business.

Resistance by the rest of the League would be futile. Opposition defences would be irrelevant.

Cody opened the scoring at Yeovil. Here we go.

Apart from the Robins Era (or even the McG era), its been all downhill from here.

Now, going into the final game of what's been a memorable (for all the wrong reasons) season, were in 16th place, in Admin, under a transfer embargo, with our 5th Manager of the season. We don't know where we will be playing next season, if more points will be deducted, if the future of the club (the Academy) will still be around next season, and the guy who is running the club disagrees with the Football League on the whereabouts of the Golden Share.

Oh, Yeovil? In the play-offs. With a faction of our £4 million playing budget.

You couldn't make this up could you?

:(

Good post.

Users who are viewing this thread