Match Thread Oldham v Coventry Match Thread - Saturday 11th Feb (1 Viewer)

letsallsingtogether

Yep, as I say, if Slade is going to leave us anyway and we keep losing every game then surely him being here serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever.
Just brings the moral at the club even lower.
Sounded like he was going to cry in the interview today.
Sorry the bloke is just not strong enough.

letsallsingtogether

Aren't people having a go at RCC for his mistakes today?

Most of us weren't there. When we see the highlights and see the mistakes and see that they were glaring mistakes, then he will rightly get slaughtered.
Yes but Burge gets slaughtered from the off.
Don't rate ether of them just seems that Burge has more shit then RCC that is why I back his corner.

Terry Gibson's perm

I we had anybody at the club with any sense they would be starting the planning for next year now and for this they need to get the manager in place who will lead the promotion push:emoji_laughing: so they can see the players they want to keep as so many will be out of contract and I don't think that Venus can be trusted to do that job.

lifeskyblue

Both keepers capable of great saves and good games but both error prone and don't give confidence. Need a new keeper in the summer

PUSB

Sky Blue Harry H

The only decent thing is we are not committed to Slade beyond this season. If hemiraculously turns things around, we will want him to stay and build. The worry is whoever IS coming in if we go down (because you doubt we'd retain Slade) is I hope he's in place soon enough to rebuild a team.

ccfctommy

The only decent thing is we are not committed to Slade beyond this season. If hemiraculously turns things around, we will want him to stay and build. The worry is whoever IS coming in if we go down (because you doubt we'd retain Slade) is I hope he's in place soon enough to rebuild a team.
Well ive learnt a new word today!

Warwickhunt

Watching it on 5 live and RCC drop was horrendous there was no one touching him. Disgraceful that's all I can say disgraceful. Put him back in the stiffs until he learns the basics of goal keeping. In fact Slade should look for a free agent it's got to be better than what we have got

Otis

Watching it on 5 live and RCC drop was horrendous there was no one touching him. Disgraceful that's all I can say disgraceful. Put him back in the stiffs until he learns the basics of goal keeping. In fact Slade should look for a free agent it's got to be better than what we have got
Not quite I would say.

Yep, a horrendous drop, but then very, very clearly fouled by their player coming in, who poleaxes RCC to the ground.

Not excusing him, because it was a terrible drop of the ball, but within a split second he is knocked to the ground making it impossible for him to rectify his error.

Watch it again on slo mo. Awful fumble, but then clear foul.

oucho

They do have a tap, that's what I was getting at.
That was good fun at Byatt's today - very friendly people (staff and other customers), friendly punters, good beer and some Sky Blue chat thrown in....probably had a better day than those of our fans travelling to Oldham!

shmmeee

Sacking Slade is pointless. We'd have to pay his contract up. Ricketts may get a few wins - then what? Keep an inexperienced operator?

Slade took on a job that was always impossible. He took it and can see it through.

No point in spending another penny on recruitment or up front wages to buy off Slade.

This is a fair point. Same as Yakubu no point spending cash. Spend the time finding the right person and give them any cash in the summer.

James Smith

Why is my football team unable to to win league matches this season? I'm slightly depressed at how we can manage to stay rooted to the bottom of the table for so long. I'm more depressed that the muppets in charge won't do the decent thing and bugger off. Yes I know that RS is in an almost impossible job and that he will probably be remembered as the manager when we go down. I just don't see a way out of this and it's f'ing me off.
The stupid thing is despite our league performance we're in the final off the Tin Pot Cup.

SlowerThanPlatt

So looks like League 2 next season barring a major upturn in form :(

First City game in 96', never thought I'd see them play in all four divisions. Thought the Championship was as 'bad' as it was going to get!

phildownunder

Should have brought an experienced keeper in ages ago.
Probably true, but we had the same keepers when top of the league last season.
If we had the best GK in the division I think we would only be slightly better off than we are now.
For me the glaring problem is the lack of goals. We fell away last season when Armstrong went off the boil. I know there were other factors too but for me that was the key issue.

Gazolba

Probably true, but we had the same keepers when top of the league last season.<snip>
When you have a very poor team, the goal-keeper has more to do. At the start of last season, we had a very good team. That's why a good goal-keeper is so important. When your strikers are down on their form, a good goal-keeper saves you.

Warwickhunt

Not quite I would say.

Yep, a horrendous drop, but then very, very clearly fouled by their player coming in, who poleaxes RCC to the ground.

Not excusing him, because it was a terrible drop of the ball, but within a split second he is knocked to the ground making it impossible for him to rectify his error.

Watch it again on slo mo. Awful fumble, but then clear foul.
I am just livid Otis bloody Livid I say! There is no fire in their bellies they all seem to accept it when we let a goal in

phildownunder

When you have a very poor team, the goal-keeper has more to do. At the start of last season, we had a very good team. That's why a good goal-keeper is so important. When your strikers are down on their form, a good goal-keeper saves you.
Last season`s team didn`t suddenly change from being a very good to a poor one. IMO the collapse last season had much more to do with a loss of form in outfield players including the strikers than the failure of our GKs to save us.
I`m not defending the GKs, but it takes goals to win matches and get three points I suppose it`s debatable to say this but imo the failure to win because of the lack of goals has lost us more points overall this season than goalkeeping errors.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Last season`s team didn`t suddenly change from being a very good to a poor one. IMO the collapse last season had much more to do with a loss of form in outfield players including the strikers than the failure of our GKs to save us.
I`m not defending the GKs, but it takes goals to win matches and get three points I suppose it`s debatable to say this but imo the failure to win because of the lack of goals has lost us more points overall this season than goalkeeping errors.
I think people underestimated Kent leaving, between him and Murphy they shared the work load of being the ball carrier to make smooth transitions from midfield to attack. When Murphy was off his game Kent did it and vise versa.
Then Murphy was the only one doing it after Kent left and he was inconsistent, cracked under the responsibility and his game went to shit for the second half of the season. When Murphy wasnt doing that role nobody was doing it. Attack much less cohesive and fluid, scored less goals, defensive injuries meant an unsettled defence so conceded more goals, won less games, confidence got lower which made us play even worse and lose more games.

lifeskyblue

I agree with you re Kent. Not only was he exciting on the ball but he always occupied a couple of defenders. He didn't produce much end product but he did contribute to the team. Also I believe him, Murphy and Armstrong had v positive influences in the dressing room

PUSB

oucho

Sorry I missed it but how many City fans were there? Not many, by the look of things.

oucho

I asked the same question. Also the own goal is horrifically comical!

Users who are viewing this thread