ON THIS DAY: Friday 6th January 1950 - Willie Carr was born in Glasgow. (1 Viewer)

Bob Latchford

What a player - What a kit, one of our best . Happy Birthday Wee Willy
C1ezWgZXcAA0e1Q.jpg

Cov kid 55

What a player - What a kit, one of our best . Happy Birthday Wee Willy
C1ezWgZXcAA0e1Q.jpg

Iconic photograph - great player, great shirt, great ground/home. As a kid, Willie Carr was my hero (I had a few - Gibbidy Gibson, Hudson, Rees, Humphreys, Glazier etc etc etc!!!) he never stopped working, was really competitive, could see a pass. How could we have sold him to the Wolves?? Did he spend some time managing Cambridge City? Anyhow, happy birthday Willie, thanks for the memories!

Bob Latchford

Bob Latchford

Cov kid 55

Best Scottish player we've had ? Got to be up there with Wallace,Gibbo,Holton, Gallagher, Blyth ?

You'd take all of those, and Tommy Hutchinson of course. Ian Gibson was tremendously skilful, sad that he past away this year. I live in the North East of England and there was a lot of local coverage of his death - at a relatively young age. Another decent Scottish player - Neil Martin, not prolific, but an excellent target man - and of course, David Speedie, that bit (or lot!) of nastiness that posters on here have been crying out for!

lifeskyblue

And the Ian St. John appearances...only a few but a gifted player at the top level.

PUSB
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Latchford

Steven Pressley , Sandy Robertson :facepalm:

Bob Latchford

lifeskyblue

I was thrilled when we signed stein...I'd not heard of Hutchinson (who I think was signed on the same day). But you are right we never saw the best of stein

PUSB
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Latchford

bringbackrattles

A horrible , nasty , dirty , sly fecker - wish he was here now. class player.
He'd fight anybody a cross between Bremner and Souness. I recall a Derby player upset him and there was Speedie squaring up to this six foot four defender and wanting to fight him. My hero Hudson was fiery too and saw him deck a defender with a left hook.Just shows talent and aggression can be a good mix !

Irish Sky Blue

I was going to put Colin Stein in there but like Ernie Hannigan didn't really see their true form. Yes Neil Martin was great and so too was Bobby McDonald at full back.

Loved Neil Martin, great header of the ball and skilful too for a big man. Disagree about Stein. I thought he was excellent for a couple of seasons. However when he went back to Rangers he didn't last long. McDonald my favourite ever left back, ahead of Stuart Pierce even.

SkyBlueSid

Iconic photograph - great player, great shirt, great ground/home. As a kid, Willie Carr was my hero (I had a few - Gibbidy Gibson, Hudson, Rees, Humphreys, Glazier etc etc etc!!!) he never stopped working, was really competitive, could see a pass. How could we have sold him to the Wolves?? Did he spend some time managing Cambridge City? Anyhow, happy birthday Willie, thanks for the memories!
Agree with most of that. But that wasn't taken at Highfield Road. It looks like it was taken at Highbury if I'm not mistaken.

Cov kid 55

Agree with most of that. But that wasn't taken at Highfield Road. It looks like it was taken at Highbury if I'm not mistaken.
Yes, you're probably right! I guess I was just assuming it was taken at a home game. Not that I'm still in denial about us leaving Highfield Road, of course!!

Cov kid 55

He'd fight anybody a cross between Bremner and Souness. I recall a Derby player upset him and there was Speedie squaring up to this six foot four defender and wanting to fight him. My hero Hudson was fiery too and saw him deck a defender with a left hook.Just shows talent and aggression can be a good mix !

I was at the Sunderland/City game in the League Cup in January 1990. - blimey, 27 years ago this week! Anyhow, Speedie had been winding up Gary Bennett the whole game, and in the end, Bennett snapped. He's a brute of a guy, about 6'4" and built like you know what. He grabs Speedie with one massive hand round the neck and pushes him so Speedie is half over the wall in the crowd (this was joker park!) Speedie is whirling punches at Bennett, but can't land any because Bennet's arm is too long. The crowd are going mad, and the coaches come in to separate them! Can't remember what action the referee took - it was 27 years ago! I do remember that we drew 0-0 and won the replay 5-0 with a Steve Livingstone's hattrick. Happy days! Is it fact that when Hudson was sold to the Cobblers, a couple of coaches went to Northampton to watch him?

bringbackrattles

I was at the Sunderland/City game in the League Cup in January 1990. - blimey, 27 years ago this week! Anyhow, Speedie had been winding up Gary Bennett the whole game, and in the end, Bennett snapped. He's a brute of a guy, about 6'4" and built like you know what. He grabs Speedie with one massive hand round the neck and pushes him so Speedie is half over the wall in the crowd (this was joker park!) Speedie is whirling punches at Bennett, but can't land any because Bennet's arm is too long. The crowd are going mad, and the coaches come in to separate them! Can't remember what action the referee took - it was 27 years ago! I do remember that we drew 0-0 and won the replay 5-0 with a Steve Livingstone's hattrick. Happy days! Is it fact that when Hudson was sold to the Cobblers, a couple of coaches went to Northampton to watch him?
Yes the City fans were outraged that we sold him but Jimmy Hill had made his mind up. The Hud was a hero and yes fans went and watched him at Northampton. Yet the HUD came in for Terry Bly who was a top striker so it was nothing new. Hudson is my favourite ever City player and could score with his head as well as his feet,a true legend.

Gazolba

I'm a day late but I'm having a glass of cider to celebrate.

Users who are viewing this thread