ON THIS DAY: Friday 6th January 1950 - Willie Carr was born in Glasgow. (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

Yes the City fans were outraged that we sold him but Jimmy Hill had made his mind up. The Hud was a hero and yes fans went and watched him at Northampton. Yet the HUD came in for Terry Bly who was a top striker so it was nothing new. Hudson is my favourite ever City player and could score with his head as well as his feet,a true legend.
Hudson was one of those players who rarely missed a chance. We was so skillful and so cool. Most of the time when presented with a chance, you just knew he would score, there was none of that trepidation you feel with lesser strikers, will he? won't he? When he was in the team, you just knew you had the edge over the opposition. There were very few center-halves who could keep him shackled.

DazzleTommyDazzle

A friend of mine was on the ground staff at Highfield Road in the 60's.

He hoped he was going to make the grade until one day a scrawny red haired 12 or 13 year old turned up and ran rings round everybody. It was obvious that he was in a different class to the rest of them.

That was Willie Carr.

Irish Sky Blue

Willie once scored a hat trick against West Brom at Highfield Road while still a teenager I think. Slightly off the point but if you watch the famous donkey kick free kick, Dave Clements is stood around the ball along with Willie and Ernie Hunt. When Willie flicks the ball up, Clements moves to hit it as well as Hunt. I've often wondered if they just practiced that on their own and that other players like Clements were as surprised by what happened as every one else.

trevelfarandwide

A horrible , nasty , dirty , sly fecker - wish he was here now. class player.

Haha, oh how we miss the Jocks of old - Scotland produced so many gifted players through the decades, and thankfully, we had our fair share of them.

I always remember Speedie for his lobs, his amazing headers and his ability to wind up the opposition like no other. I was only about 9 or 10 when he hit his peak for us, 88-89, but he was my favourite player for years after, even when he moved on. Absolute legend. :)

trevelfarandwide

I was at the Sunderland/City game in the League Cup in January 1990. - blimey, 27 years ago this week! Anyhow, Speedie had been winding up Gary Bennett the whole game, and in the end, Bennett snapped. He's a brute of a guy, about 6'4" and built like you know what. He grabs Speedie with one massive hand round the neck and pushes him so Speedie is half over the wall in the crowd (this was joker park!) Speedie is whirling punches at Bennett, but can't land any because Bennet's arm is too long. The crowd are going mad, and the coaches come in to separate them! Can't remember what action the referee took - it was 27 years ago! I do remember that we drew 0-0 and won the replay 5-0 with a Steve Livingstone's hattrick. Happy days! Is it fact that when Hudson was sold to the Cobblers, a couple of coaches went to Northampton to watch him?

There's highlights of this on Youtube, I saw the incident in question, and that centre half Bennet was HUGE - just shows Speedie had no fear, and could gain a psychological edge over anyone he faced off against.

colin101

Willie once scored a hat trick against West Brom at Highfield Road while still a teenager I think. Slightly off the point but if you watch the famous donkey kick free kick, Dave Clements is stood around the ball along with Willie and Ernie Hunt. When Willie flicks the ball up, Clements moves to hit it as well as Hunt. I've often wondered if they just practiced that on their own and that other players like Clements were as surprised by what happened as every one else.
Think the donkey kick was tried in a reserve match a week before Everton and the ball was skied high into the Stands.

duffer

I was at the Sunderland/City game in the League Cup in January 1990. - blimey, 27 years ago this week! Anyhow, Speedie had been winding up Gary Bennett the whole game, and in the end, Bennett snapped. He's a brute of a guy, about 6'4" and built like you know what. He grabs Speedie with one massive hand round the neck and pushes him so Speedie is half over the wall in the crowd (this was joker park!) Speedie is whirling punches at Bennett, but can't land any because Bennet's arm is too long. The crowd are going mad, and the coaches come in to separate them! Can't remember what action the referee took - it was 27 years ago! I do remember that we drew 0-0 and won the replay 5-0 with a Steve Livingstone's hattrick. Happy days! Is it fact that when Hudson was sold to the Cobblers, a couple of coaches went to Northampton to watch him?

I was there too - as cold as I've ever been at a football ground. They both got red cards, if I remember correctly. Steve Livingstone (remember him) scored 4 in the replay!

eastwoodsdustman

I was there too - as cold as I've ever been at a football ground. They both got red cards, if I remember correctly. Steve Livingstone (remember him) scored 4 in the replay!

I was there with a few of my mates. Apart from the Bennett and Speedie incident, my lasting memory was of the absolutely rank pies that they sold. We threw ours over the fence at the Sunderland fans and a hail of tea's, Pies and other food related products came back.

MalcSB

I'm sure that a city youth team played atherstone in a pre season match at sheepy road and they tried the donkey kick (willie carr may even have been playing)
Think the donkey kick was tried in a reserve match a week before Everton and the ball was skied high into the Stands.

trevelfarandwide

Gallagher was utter class.

Speedie is my all time favourite City player, the wee shite.
Yep, Gallagher was nothing less than brilliance on his day: never a prolific goal scorer, but a scorer of skillful and important goals.

There's a few screamers he scored for Blackburn on youtube too, KG maintained his form and ability well into his 30's.

Users who are viewing this thread