One Goal... (1 Viewer)

MatthewWallis

How Different Things Could Have Been

B8FEE7E3-AF45-AA2E-CECF2AC7ED162DAB.jpg
On May 4th 2008 Coventry City took to the field knowing they needed a win to be sure of safety. The team that took to the field that day was;

Schmeichel
Fox
Ward
Hughes S
Doyle
Osbourne(Hines 74)
Mifsud
Tabb
Best
Dann
Hughes M (Thornton 60).

Subs (not used):
Marshall
Hall
Gray

The team that was at the Valley in my opinion is better than the one we have now, the team that is heading towards a final day relegation battle.

However, as we all know the outcome was not one of a team who needed a win. We got beat and got beat convincingly losing 4-1 in a must win game is not what fans like to see. Luckily for us Leicester did not score the one goal that would of changed it all. And we survived to nothing in the next 2 soon to be 3 seasons.

On May 7th 2011 Coventry City will travel to Norwich is what could be a must win game. Now I'm sure i speak for us all when I say that I hope it isn't a must win game and we are safe long before this game, but what would happen if we need a win to be safe again, would our team perform? I'm not sure and it worries me as a fan, it really does, the last thing that i want to see is Coventry City relegated, but i fear the worst if a team I think is better than the current one couldn't do it.

Anyway, I have three questions for all you fans out there;

1) If we were to be in a situation where a win was needed on the last day, do you think we would win? Bearing in mind Norwich might need a win to achieve promotion, where as Charlton didn't, as they were mid-table.

2) If Leicester did get that goal and we were relegated, where do you think we would be now? Would we still be in League One? Would we be back in the Championship? Would we even be in League Two?

3) Also if we did get relegated, what financial situation do you think we would be in, bearing in mind SISU had took over just 6 months before, would they have ran? Would we even be a club?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to hearing your answers :)

CovLis86

Good post.

1) No i dont think we would win. I think we would mirror that game, and the other team, even oif playing for nothing, would still want it more than we do. Its a sorry state when we can say that convincingly, but they never show us anything to disprove that. No fight, no effort from majority, it breeds more and more struggles and losses. Add to that Norwich just being a better team than us aswell...

2) I think we would be where Plymouth are now. Administration, struggling in the pits of League 1. Thats why i fear relegation so much, we would be one of the teams who would just keep on sinking.

3) Kind of answered above, i just think we would be in the shit essentially. No investors, draining money weekly. We could still be heading towards that now.

Pigeon

1. No we would not win. We don't have the players, squad depth or heart to battle it out. We'd get 1 point at the most but not all 3. Especially if it meant that Norwich went straight up if they won.

2. We'd would be scrapping around in League 1 nearing another relegation battle

3. We'd be in a worst state than we are now! (Hard to believe)

Sutty

Exactly what the others have said. I just get the feeling that no-one at the club really expects us to do well or believes we can do well. If the tables were somehow turned next season and we were in the play-off final, we would, as Cov fans, all know that it was about to go wrong.

Disorganised1

I watched us win a lot of relegation battles over the years - but it seems in those days the club had heart - something that in my opinion B.R. and J.R. took out of the club. The club needs a heart transplant - someone who will take on the role Derrick Robbins did all those years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread