Ozark - Netflix (1 Viewer)

Otis

Up to about halfway through 4 now, still like it!

Very encouraging, Nick, cos I know sometimes you give up after a couple of episodes, after not really getting into it.

Yeah, and agree on the Breaking Bad comparison, though if hill is reading this I would say it is nothing like Breaking Bad at all and is much more like Cagney and Lacey or Bergerac.

Otis

Excellent program and can see the Breaking Bad similarities.
Bad (but likeable) man gets involved in gang crime and spends most of his time escaping from near impossible positions to keep his family and himself alive.
Agree with Otis there are long times with seemingly no action but its all brewing up and the occasional extreme violence keeps it going.
Can't wait for series 2 and more, this thing has got legs!!

Couldn't agree more. Can't wait for season 2.

Otis

It gets tenser and better I would say, Unless of course you are Hill and then I would say the tension drops and it just gets worse as it goes on.

hill83

Finished it. A solid 7.5/8 out of 10. Couple of moments made me rolls my eyes, you can tell they are hoping for several seasons with some of the decisions made.
Hopefully Netflix pick it up for a second season.

Otis

Finished it. A solid 7.5/8 out of 10. Couple of moments made me rolls my eyes, you can tell they are hoping for several seasons with some of the decisions made.
Hopefully Netflix pick it up for a second season.

What were the eye roll moments, Hill? I didn't pick up on any, but maybe be it's just me. Were they obvious?

hill83

What were the eye roll moments, Hill? I didn't pick up on any, but maybe be it's just me. Were they obvious?

Can't really say without spoiling it. Just a couple of bits where the story line would have been better if they took a different route, but quite obviously couldn't because there wouldn't be anymore seasons then. I'm just being picky to be fair.

hill83

Going to try and watch the last couple later!

The memories episode wasnt the best.

That was one of my favourites, set up the following episodes nicely and explained a few details of previous episodes and why certain characters behaved they way they did.

Otis

Going to try and watch the last couple later!

The memories episode wasnt the best.

I really, really dislike flashbacks in any show. Even though they can give a back story, to me they for all the world just come across as padding and I always think that all could be simply explained with just a couple of sentences of dialogue.

I thought Breaking Bad was superb, but even with that I got bored of the flashbacks to Walter's past with his business partner etc.

hill83

I really, really dislike flashbacks in any show. Even though they can give a back story, to me they for all the world just come across as padding and I always think that all could be simply explained with just a couple of sentences of dialogue.

I thought Breaking Bad was superb, but even with that I got bored of the flashbacks to Walter's oast wuth his business partner etc.

Couldn't disagree more about things being explained with a couple of sentences of dialogue. I cringe when they do that in films.

"Hello sister how are you on your wedding day, we are orphans aren't we, mum and dad died in a car crash when we were 7 and you've got a rocky history with alcohol"

Reactions: vow

Otis

Couldn't disagree more about things being explained with a couple of sentences of dialogue. I cringe when they do that in films.

"Hello sister how are you on your wedding day, we are orphans aren't we, mum and dad died in a car crash when we were 7 and you've got a rocky history with alcohol"

Well yeah, of course, don't literally mean a couple of sentences of dialogue, but within some dialogue. Too much padding for me and Lost was a prime example of that. First few flashbacks were interesting, but then they did it for just about every bloody character.

I don't think in Ozark we needed to see why Marty got involved with the drug dealer. Very easy to see from how the character was portrayed and his lack of empathy for anyone else pretty much apart from his family and his arrogance and self Importance, that he would be exactly the sort of person to get involved with these kinds of people without feeling any sense of remorse or wrangle with moral dilemma.

Found it superfluous.

Otis

I think it's fine when you ask yourself how did this character get to here, but with this it was bloody obvious and didn't need any explanation.

hill83

Well yeah, of course, don't literally mean a couple of sentences of dialogue, but within a chat. Too much padding for me and Lost was a prime example of that. First few flashbacks were interesting, but then they did it for just about every bloody character.

I don't think in Ozark we needed to see why Marty got involved with the drug dealer. Very easy to see from how the character was portrayed and his lack of empathy for anyone else pretty much apart from his family and his arrogance and self Importance, that he would be exactly the sort of person to get involved with this without feeling any sense of remorse or wrangle with moral dilemma.

Found it superfluous.

It gave a decent bit of backstory for every main character. I liked it anyway.

Don't get me started on Lost. Loved and hated it.

Otis

One of the things that I thought was really, really clever was in having the Snell's seem for all the world the complete antithesis of drug dealers and portray them just as simple, old, country, hillbilly folk and farmers, whereas with Del Rio, he was played as very much your stereotypical Mexican cartel drug lord.

vow

Having just watched the first episode, I can say we're impressed.

ajsccfc

Liked this quite a lot, it was billed somewhere as 'Breaking Bad meets Fargo' which I didn't really feel outside of it being based around drugs. I got more of a Bloodline vibe due to the threatening setting. Jason Bateman plays a great dickhead, I saw him in The Gift fairly recently and he was largely the same in that.

Few bits I didn't like that seemed to border on cliche -
Highly articulate psychopaths in the Snells, and as soon as Russ Langmore screamed 'faggot' you knew he was a suppressed homosexual.

He ended up being the most sympathetic character in way, he genuinely wanted a way out with FBI man.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Great series. I think the limited flashback in this helped give the context of him, his family and how things changed for them.

Otis

Great series. I think the limited flashback in this helped give the context of him, his family and how things changed for them.
Yes, true.

Great series and top performances from Bateman and Linney especially, as well as Julie Garner.

It's brilliant what Jason Bateman has done with the character, because though he loves his family he is not at all a decent man, yet you are rooting for him all the way.

hill83

Watched it through a second time, which is rare for me but it's good to pick bits up you might have missed before knowing what's coming. It's just as good second time around.

Otis

I'm another that liked the flashback episode in this whereas normally I tend to skip them.
Fair point. Some seem superfluous and serve as mere padding don't they.

Wait til you see Tin Star. One episode goes back a few hours, then forwards a couple, then back, then forwards and then back and then forwards, all covering a period of about 12 hours, all in the one episode.

I feared for it, but I think I am right in saying that only happened in that one single episode.

Must have given that one to some flashy, show off wunderkid, auteur director. Rather out of keeping with the rest of the series.

ajsccfc

I tend to gloss over them a lot of the time, the Morgan episode in the last WD season was meant to be one of the better ones but I couldn't be arsed.

Otis

I tend to gloss over them a lot of the time, the Morgan episode in the last WD season was meant to be one of the better ones but I couldn't be arsed.
I sometimes do fast forward through flashbacks.

First started getting really bored of them when Lost was on.

vow

We enjoyed the series a lot, cannot wait for the second.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Bumping this as we literally just finished watching it.

Don't watch much tv generally but some of these Netflix Originals (Stranger Things being another one) are bloody brilliant. I'd rate Ozark 8/10.

I love the setting of it. Lake in Missouri (sadly filmed near Atlanta, GA though) which just seems like an eery but fun and interesting place to hang out in the summer. The kind of scenery and atomsphere really appeals to me in a tv show/film.

I thought there were a lot of really strong characters in this and the acting was top. Jason Bateman is really growing on me and he even directed some of this. The bit with the preacher was unbearable to watch but I'm glad it didn't turn out the way I thought it was going to.

The Snells are some mean motherfuckers who I hated, but I somehow had a softspot for the Langmore kids, including Ruth! Shoutout to Racheal, she belongs on the not obvious babes thread!

Ian1779

Just finished watching Season 1 of Stranger Things - was very impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread