Paralympics (1 Viewer)

Red John

Have been watching the Paralympics for the last few days and have to say it's been fantastic.
Some of the illness and injuries these athletes have overcome to represent their countries is astonishing, lost limbs, degenerative diseases, total blindness and a hundred other afflictions that most people would struggle to even live with are just another obstacle to overcome, these people really are the definition of superhumans.....and I for one bow down to their fight, commitment and perseverance in the face of many obstacles.

Otis

Have been watching the Paralympics for the last few days and have to say it's been fantastic.
Some of the illness and injuries these athletes have overcome to represent their countries is astonishing, lost limbs, degenerative diseases, total blindness and a hundred other afflictions that most people would struggle to even live with are just another obstacle to overcome, these people really are the definition of superhumans.....and I for one bow down to their fight, commitment and perseverance in the face of many obstacles.
Yeah, but obviously my wife doesn't 'get it.'

She has called it 'embarrassing, sad and very cruel.'

Can't be arsed to go over it all again with her. :(

chiefdave

Did anyone see the Zimbabwe rowing team. Loved that. Johnny Vegas and Stephen Mangan going round giving everyone shower caps and getting them to cheer for Zimbabwe cracked me up.

Think it was the Zimbabweans who were saying they were getting medial treatment in the Olympic Village that isn't available to them back home.

Gazolba

Watched the British chap winning the table-tennis against the Brazilian chap.
I'm wondering how fair it all is though since they all have different degrees of disability.
The Brazil guy definitely walked much more unsteadily that the British guy.

CJ_covblaze

So many inspirational stories. Plenty of local interest and success too. Kare, a girl that my brother-in-law goes to school with at Bablake won Silver in the 100 meters the other day. It was a Coventry 1-2 as Hannah Cockcroft got the Gold. Kare's got the 400 and 800 yet which are her better events.

rob9872

Inspirational and fair play to them for courage over adversity, but I find it unwatchable. A bit like non league football. If I want to see people run I want the best of the best like the real olympics. Being the best of only people having eg one limb or of people 3ft and shorter feels a bit like Racing club Warwick playing cov sphinx and I care equally little about the outcome.

chiefdave

Inspirational and fair play to them for courage over adversity, but I find it unwatchable. A bit like non league football. If I want to see people run I want the best of the best like the real olympics. Being the best of only people having eg one limb or of people 3ft and shorter feels a bit like Racing club Warwick playing cov sphinx and I care equally little about the outcome.
A disabled middle-distance runner shattered the 1500m Paralympic world record after winning gold at the Rio Paralympic Games, beating Olympic champion Matthew Centrowitz by more than 1.7 seconds.

Abdellatif Baka of Algeria won the T13 1500m final on Monday night in a stunning performance that not only set a new Paralympic world record, but stands as the fastest 1500m time recorded by an able-bodied or disabled athlete in Rio over both the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
2nd, 3rd and 4th were also faster than the Olympic gold medalist.

rob9872

But assisted otherwise they would run against able bodied athletes. No doubt it's a great achievement but still not the same.

Gazolba

I'm sure the players who play for non-league teams would not appreciate being compared to disabled people. I have watched many non-league games, mostly FA Cup games where non-league teams were playing league opponents and I have found them to be enthralling to watch. I also find women's football very interesting to watch. It certainly beats watching lazy, overpaid, professional players who dive to the ground every time someone dares come near them.

rob9872

If you don't like that comparison then you've unwittingly argued that non league football is better than the paralympics which if anything validates the point I was making that whist remarkable in its own way, we somehow since 2012 have to treat the two types of Olympic achievements the same. Both are worthy of respect but not (imo) comparable. It's ticking a box to ensure at least one of them will be top 10 for SPOTY.

Rich

I'm with Rob. It does feel uncomfortable watching disabled people being classified. It also seems odd that you can break a World Record for the fastest in a certain class. It's like saying I could break the 100m World Record for fat people called Rich. A world record is surely just the fastest over that distance, not the fastest in a certain classification.

Red John

Well personally I have enjoyed watching the Paralympics as much as the Olympics, these people didn't choose to be born with disabilities or injured through no fault of their own, what they are showing is amazing strength and determination in still trying to be as normal as possible and do the same things able bodied people do.....I find it inspiring and inspirational and applaud each and every one of them.

Joy Division

I'm not sure the Paralympics is meant to be 'compared' to the Olympics. Maybe you're just watching it wrong.

Covstu

To be honest I have not watched a moment of it, not sure why but probably the timing more than anything.

Otis

Bloody hate commercial TV at times.

Just watching the wheelchair rugby live on Channel 4, GB v Canada and with the scores tied and with just 40 seconds remaining, the TV host pipes in and says 'Sorry, but there we have to leave it!'

WTF!!

'Don't worry though' she adds, 'You can pick up the action on More 4.'

So quickly change channel to More 4 and find it's bleedin adverts.

Then the Olympic programme starts, but you get 45 seconds - 1 minute of the title music playing before it gets to the hosts.

Game obviously finished.

What a crock.

The Beeb would have just overran or the alternative channel would have been already piped into the feed.

They did play the game from the point it was previously left at, but obviously delayed (for some reason they went to 1.15 remaining rather than the 40 seconds), but still!! Right at a very exciting point with he game just seconds from completion.

Grr!!!!!

Johnnythespider

Just watching the wheelchair rugby live on Channel 4, GB v Canada and with the scores tied and with just 40 seconds remaining, the TV host pipes in and says 'Sorry, but there we have to leave it!'

WTF!!

Then the Olympic programme starts, but you get 45 seconds - 1 minute of the title music playing before it gets to the hosts.

Game obviously finished.

What a crock.

The Beeb would have just overran or the alternative channel would have been already piped into the feed.

They did play the game from the point it was previously left at, but obviously delayed (for some reason they went to 1.15 remaining rather than the 40 seconds), but still!! Right at a very exciting point with he game just seconds from completion.

Grr!!!!!
Imagine when they get Bake off, we'll be left wondering whether Geoff from Norwich can rescue a split butter cream while they cut to a string of baking related adds.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Otis

Imagine when they get Bake off, we'll be left wondering whether Geoff from Norwich can rescue a split butter cream while they cut to a string of baking related adds.

Yep and you will get retailers into the mix and they will have ads like 'Get this special offer sofa before it's scone!'*

*Obviously doesn't work if for scone you say scone instead of scone.

CJ_covblaze

WTF!!

Game obviously finished.

What a crock.

Grr!!!!!

It was the same sometimes on the BBC last month. They kept changing channels for no reason part way through events and we ended up missing key bits.

ccfctommy

WTF!!

Game obviously finished.

What a crock.

Grr!!!!!

BBC did exact same thing with boxing final. You did not found out who won for 5 minutes.

CJ_covblaze

BBC did exact same thing with boxing final. You did not found out who won for 5 minutes.

Annoying wasn't it. They changed it over for Eastenders and the national news. Why? The news is simcast on the News Channel and they could've just put Eastenders on BBC2. Either that or have the Olympics on BBC2.

chiefdave

Annoying wasn't it. They changed it over for Eastenders and the national news. Why? The news is simcast on the News Channel and they could've just put Eastenders on BBC2. Either that or have the Olympics on BBC2.
Andy Murray in the gold medal game was terrible, it kept switching between BBC1, BBC2, BBC4 and online!

Otis

Andy Murray in the gold medal game was terrible, it kept switching between BBC1, BBC2, BBC4 and online!
I found with the Beeb that at least it was instant. Switch channels and there would be the same thing you were just watching and all pretty much seamless apart from the punching of the code in on your remote.

If the same thing happened with the Beeb as with Channel 4 I must have missed it.

Terry Gibson's perm

There is an obsession in this country with the news every half an hour on the radio, then at night both Bbc and itv have blocked news from 6-7 and then more news again at night it's so boring.

Johnnythespider

Sad news about the death of an Iranian in the road cycling. He was being treated following a crash when he suffered a cardiac arrest and died.

Users who are viewing this thread