Paul Telfer (1 Viewer)

JimmyHillsbeard

Telfer was an under-rated player for us. Firmly believe we wouldn't have lost at Vile that day if he hadn't had his leg broken when we were 2-0 up (although we would still have gone down).

Gallacher was sheer class but not under-rated; everyone knew he kept us up single-handedly when Don Howe was trying to lose every game 0-1

David Rennie was, and probably remains, my least-favourite Coventry player of all time. Truly, truly abysmal.

rybccfc

Telfer was underated ! He was likited when it came to flair or skill but put his foot in when he was meant to and moved the ball about well. I would take him over any player we have had since we were relegated to be honest!

Kingokings204

Teller was shite and 90% of posts here agree. Underrated my foot.

If he played today he would be a decent league 2 player. Barnet say.

Hobo

Back in my younger days I took the FA coaching certificate, the instructor had never made it in the game but had come through the ranks with Telfer. He told me at the time that Telfer was the best in the year and was headed to the top clubs, he was a seriously good footballer however after 1 of his his friends was killed in an accident he fell out of love with the game and treated it as a job. Hence he ended up playing for us!

I think I have heard that before? But the emotions here get mixed. Was his development affected by a tragedy or did he just go through the motions accepting easy money? He achieved a lot, but we are measuring talent on a broad pallet.. He did play average at the top level.....so would love him now!!!

trevelfarandwide

I saw a lot of Telfer in my many years of season ticket holing, and to be fair he caught a lot of flak from the home fans. He always seemed rigid and robot-like in his movement, which highlighted his lack of technique, and generally he was an easy target for the boo-boys because he rarely did anything extraordinary.

Seemed a bit clumsy with the ball sometimes, but when he fancied it, his passing was alright and his crossing was good. Good engine in him too, but Strachan was wrong to rely on him for so long, when a far better right-sided player would have added far more to the team.

Conclusion - average player who would run all game and produce a decent pass every so often. Oh and I always remember his goal at Anfield in the dying minutes, to make it 3-1 to us in the cup (97-98). Talk about leathering it, oof.

Otis

The one thing that stuck out for me with Paul Telfer was his absolutely dreadful passing ability.

The amount of times he played 5-10 yard balls directly to the opposition was quite scary.

A very, very average player. A good engine and not much else.

I think the flak was justified.

andyboy81

I always thought of Telfer being like that kid who never got picked when you were younger and you used to go "oh ffs cant you have him???"

Saying that, would have him now lol

torchomatic

Interesting how we all see things differently. I personally thought he was crap.

ajsccfc

I remember when we were signing him, he was being billed as an attacking goal threat who was a constant danger man for Luton. Is it possible he's a twin?

Otis

I remember when we were signing him, he was being billed as an attacking goal threat who was a constant danger man for Luton. Is it possible he's a twin?
He must be.

The other one must have got all the crossing and passing ability and the one we got was quite good at golf.

Moff

With the money we spent in that period we could have signed much better quality rather than the quantity we did sign. Looking back Strachan wasted a fortune on players (the spree started by Atkinson) and we could have done so much better.

Telfer wasn't awful, but wasn't good, he was average. We could have signed better to assist Nillson. If we had ever wanted to be better than the lower half Prem team we were at the time, we should have invested in better than the likes of Telfer.

Moff

The reason Hucks was sold or so I was once told. It was a it's me or him situation I was told. Both with the Mrs and Strachan ;)

Linked to this, one game Hucks and I think Telfer both pulled out of a home game late on with injuries.
I had been invited to the posh seats that day in the main stand (a one off) and the story emanating from the tunnel was that the boys had a bit of a falling out in the changing room. Could never verify if this was the case, but if so it explained why Strachan looked like a volcano about to explode that day, but if not it made a usable anecdote.

Monners

Linked to this, one game Hucks and I think Telfer both pulled out of a home game late on with injuries.
I had been invited to the posh seats that day in the main stand (a one off) and the story emanating from the tunnel was that the boys had a bit of a falling out in the changing room. Could never verify if this was the case, but if so it explained why Strachan looked like a volcano about to explode that day, but if not it made a usable anecdote.
That isn't quite the true story. Telfer duffed up Hucks in training and got suspended by the club (Hucks got injured). Thats why they both missed the game. It was over a woman.

ovduk78

I thought Telfer had a problem with Salako & Whelan, something to do with Salako shagging Telfer's wife at Whelans house?!

Monners

My mates dog licked Telfer's bollocks after a drunken night out in Northampton with Whelan and Magnus (I wasn't there)

Joy Division

I remember him having a shot on goal about 20 yards out down in front of the west end, the ball eventually went out for a throw in.

Good in the air though.

Otis

So, to sum up, he couldn't shoot straight, couldn't cross, could barely tackle, couldn't pass the ball to a team mate from 5 yards, but besides that he was a top, top player for us.

Como

One of those players who I thought was at the club for a lot longer than he was, also not someone I favoured, did have an occasional good spell.

I remember Strachan commenting that he was the sweetest stricker of a ball in the club, think he may have been talking about a golf ball.

Users who are viewing this thread